#1 Posted by Jonez120 (3669 posts) - - Show Bio

How old were you and why did you start in the first place?

#2 Edited by Jphu8414 (3199 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been reading comics since I was 7 but it wasn't until around High School I started collecting

#3 Edited by batman922 (268 posts) - - Show Bio

23 (2012) and I've always liked comic book characters and there is a LCS near me so I went in there one day and bought a comic to see how I would like it and I haven't looked back since.

#4 Posted by RetconCrisis (3332 posts) - - Show Bio

Well... do the Superman and Spiderman comics that I only looked at the pictures count? That was me when I was 5.

If it doesn't count and only me reading it for the story, then about 8 years old.

#5 Posted by Farkam (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

When I was a teenager.

#6 Edited by MarcosVergara14 (373 posts) - - Show Bio

13. My first comic: Flash #1 New 52

#7 Posted by TheTrueBarryAllen (4280 posts) - - Show Bio

I was 18, so around 1 year and 5 months ago!

#8 Edited by mtrakos (563 posts) - - Show Bio

I was 7 or so. Maybe younger I'M 30 now. Every Saturday my mother would take me to the laundromat. Next door was a bodega that had comics. It was easy and cheap entertainment for me. I'd read that comic over and over. I still have them Tmnt Batman and Ghostbusters. Wasn't a few years later I got into marvel.

#9 Edited by longbowhunter (6739 posts) - - Show Bio

Must have been about 6 years old. It was a natural progression. The toys I was really into back in the 80's were the Super Powers and Secret Wars figures. I was buying comics before I could actually even read them. The first thing I remember reading all by myself was a Batman comic that came with a cassette tape.

#10 Edited by Xwraith (15228 posts) - - Show Bio

I was five the first time I can remember reading a comic book (in 1995 - it was the Star Wars Droids Special), but I didn't start reading comics seriously until 2010, spurred on by the MCU and a friend who liked Deadpool (whether or not he still does I don't know).

#11 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11076 posts) - - Show Bio
@jphu8414 said:

I've been reading comics since I was 7 but it wasn't until around High School I started collecting

Pretty much the same for me, more or less.

#12 Posted by mtrakos (563 posts) - - Show Bio

@longbowhunter: a tape or a record? I remember a few comics that came with mini records.

#13 Edited by Ace20XD6 (235 posts) - - Show Bio

I started reading the Spiderman comic strip in the Sunday paper when I was six and BatmanTAS themed comic books made for kids a year later. I was 12 though when I started reading official comic books and graphic novels, that was the year Batman Begins was coming out. My mom would take us to the library almost every other day and it just happened that the only cushion chairs to sit down was by the graphic novels and Batman: Long Halloween was on display.

#14 Posted by Fallschirmjager (15061 posts) - - Show Bio

#15 Edited by longbowhunter (6739 posts) - - Show Bio

@mtrakos: No, it was a tape. The comic was the first issue of The Untold Legend of the Batman, by Len Wein and John Byrne. I recently re bought that comic. Brought back a lot of memories.

#16 Posted by Wolverine08 (38546 posts) - - Show Bio

#17 Edited by JulieDC (870 posts) - - Show Bio

At age 23. I enjoyed the movies and cartoons and wanted more stories than what they were offering and the only option was to read comics.

#18 Posted by Icarusflies (12457 posts) - - Show Bio

11 or 12. I accidentally bought a book of short stories based on the Sandman series, and loved them. So I went and bought the first volume of Sandman, and I was hooked.

#19 Posted by SoA (4684 posts) - - Show Bio

from 6-8 yrs old then i took a very long break and didn't get back into comics till i was 23 yrs old been reading ever since .

#20 Posted by SPM1M (782 posts) - - Show Bio

i started reading comics when i was a freshmen in high school so i was around thirteen years old.

#21 Posted by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (10253 posts) - - Show Bio

I count manga as comics so

#22 Edited by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

6 i think.

#23 Posted by AllStarSuperman (19943 posts) - - Show Bio

My 15th birthday

#24 Posted by tupiaz (2170 posts) - - Show Bio

I "read" my first comics when I was 5 years old I think (mostly disney). Then I stopped around when I became a teenager. However started to do it more serious and a thing I took up again when I was in my mid teens over 10 years ago.

#25 Posted by INFINITE_DOOM (265 posts) - - Show Bio

When my family moved 5 minutes away from Mile High Comics, so around 11.

#26 Posted by cosmicallyaware1 (4253 posts) - - Show Bio

when i was 5. my mom really got me hooked into reading by using comics.....and 31 years later.......still goin strong on the comics, and now working on doing the same with my son....

When my family moved 5 minutes away from Mile High Comics, so around 11.

nice! lucky!!!

#27 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6113 posts) - - Show Bio

This year.

#28 Edited by CaptnMcDeadpool (951 posts) - - Show Bio

I was seven. My old man used to take me and my younger brothers to our local comic shop every week.

I love the art. I love the stories.

And I like a story where the good guy actually wins.

#29 Edited by Black_Arrow (2477 posts) - - Show Bio

#30 Edited by Tyrus (1083 posts) - - Show Bio

Started buying 'em when I was 6-7. Didn't start actually reading the words until I was 14 :P

#31 Posted by HillbillyMorangie (927 posts) - - Show Bio

I dunno, four maybe, in the UK Dandy and Beono release a annual every Christmas and Mine go back to the year of my birth, the first things I read were comics, but I can't remember what age I started reading... I thought most kids grew up with the Beano, Dandy and Topper, do other countries have comic Annuals?

#32 Edited by jackbensley777 (636 posts) - - Show Bio

looked at the pictures wwhen i was 6 and didnt start reading till 13

#33 Posted by nintendork666 (284 posts) - - Show Bio

I had a few random back issues I would read over and over again when I was about 8, I didn't get heavy into it until I was around 19 or 20 though.

#34 Posted by thespideyguy (2645 posts) - - Show Bio

#35 Posted by sagejonathan (1812 posts) - - Show Bio

16. My first book was the Mighty Thor #4 by Matt Fraction.

#36 Posted by attatje (1421 posts) - - Show Bio

14 years old.

#37 Edited by nightwing737 (990 posts) - - Show Bio

#38 Posted by Constantine (16046 posts) - - Show Bio

Ahhh when I was very little I can't even remember, I guess I watched like the 90's batman films, then the x-men and spiderman tv series and then it kind of just continued on from there and interspersed into picking up any comics we (me and my brothers) could. Some of our earliest were Judge Dredd and Lobo, accompanied by your typical Batman, x-men etc.

#39 Posted by War Killer (19961 posts) - - Show Bio

The first time I pick up a comic book was around the age of 9, but I didn't start reading and collecting comics on a monthly bases until about the age of 13-14.

The first comic I read was a reprint of Captain America #109 that came with a Marvel Legends action figure.

#40 Posted by chalkshark (1182 posts) - - Show Bio

I was only 5 years old.

#41 Edited by bigtewell (749 posts) - - Show Bio

6 when ultimate spIderman #1 came out

#42 Posted by Bezza (3364 posts) - - Show Bio

Super-hero comics, about aged 8 I think....

#43 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5145 posts) - - Show Bio

7-8. Started collecting in my teens.

#44 Posted by Sammo21 (687 posts) - - Show Bio

Around 4-5. I didn't start collecting with a right mind until I was around 15.

#45 Posted by Jonez120 (3669 posts) - - Show Bio

I started reading them when I was 10 and started collecting them when I was well, 10 I guess.

But great answers guys! I love hearing your stories!!

#46 Posted by Rei_El (26 posts) - - Show Bio

16 (2013) I have The Dark Knight By Frank Miller and one of X-man, that i do not remember the name.

#47 Edited by VoraciousSouls (168 posts) - - Show Bio

I was ten when I bought my first, it was Savage Dragon #16.

my dad was into comics backs then too, so i looked at some of his wolverine and predator comics before then.

I'm eighteen now, so I guess my first was in 2006

#48 Edited by Experio (14100 posts) - - Show Bio

6 years ago, when I was 13.

#49 Posted by patrat18 (8760 posts) - - Show Bio

#50 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (2767 posts) - - Show Bio

15-ish