ASM2 mid-credit scene is from X Men: Days of Future Past

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Officially the weirdest news I've heard in awhile. http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/04/16/thereas-an-x-men-days-of-future-past-scene-during-amazing-spider-man-2as-end-credits

"THERE’S AN X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST SCENE DURING AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2’S END CREDITS

But don’t get too excited… yet.

BY: SCOTT COLLURA

APRIL 16, 2014

No, Spider-Man is not teaming up with the X-Men on the big screen. But the X-Men are showing up for some reason during the credits of The Amazing Spider-Man 2.

Sony’s latest Spidey film opens in international markets including the UK today, and reports started coming in this morning of a mid-credits scene which is from Fox’s upcoming X-Men: Days of Future Past. The scene in question (involving Jennifer Lawrence’s Mystique, Lucas Till’s Havok, Evan Jonigkeit's Toad, and Josh Helman’s Stryker) is reportedly not part of Amazing Spider-Man 2 in any sense and is essentially an ad for X-Men. That is to say, the X-Men scene is just something from Days of Future Past that has been plopped into the credits of Spider-Man 2, and is not the kind of hint or set-up for a future adventure that has become standard in Marvel Studios’ movies.

And yet, this does mark an apparent alliance between Fox and Sony to at least work together on some level, even if it is just a promotional arrangement. Could this mean that Andrew Garfield’s wallcrawler will one day actually cross over on screen with Hugh Jackman’s crew, those mutants who are sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them? Hey, it’s a first step at the very least!

Whether or not this clip is included in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 when it is released in the U.S. on May 2 remains to be seen. In the meantime, we’ve reached out to Sony for comment.

Update: Slash Film reports that Sony has confirmed this scene will also be included in the U.S. release of TASM2."

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Such a spoiler free title. Lol.

Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX

Interesting.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JakeN7

@i_like_swords: It's an ad at the end of the movie, what do ya want from me?

Besides, it's no less spoilerey than the title of the article on IGN that I ripped it from. That was on the front page.

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Either their is going to be a big announcement at comic-con or its just there for promotional purposes.

Rebel_Leader1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's an ad for promotional purposes lol ASM2 is going to get huge crowds and Fox just wants to get the word out of their film.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rebel_leader1: Right. Why would Sony (a.k.a the competing company) allow that to happen in their movie? It's not lol worthy. It's actually kind of a big deal.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JakeN7

@flameboy298: Most likely just promotional purposes, but it's still very curious. Definitely shows progress in the way of movie studio crossovers. Spidey for Avengers next!

Lol

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Title made me freak out for a second because I thought that meant that they were going to crossover or something lol.

I'm sure it's just for good promotional purposes though

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphu8414: I have no choice but to get my hopes up,for them doing something like this though :/

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphu8414: I'm pretty sure that's the case as well, but it's still a step in the right direction.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

A universe with the X-Men, Spider-Man and FF makes a lot more sense than it does being mixed in with the Avengers.

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Experio

Saw it today, was unexpected but interesting

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

@flameboy298: a cinematic universe isn't big enough for both the Avengers and the X-Men because most of the characters wouldn't get used and it would always be weird that they never appeared in each others movies but the X-Men, FF and Spider-Man can co-exist pretty easily since they all focus on different aspects, Spider-Man deals with the smaller, city wide events, FF being off in space or an alt dimension and X-Men dealing with the large scale genocide inducing events. Also SPider-Man has a long history of teaming up with the X-Men and the FF where has the Avengers stuff has only started happening recently.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Would you really call nearly a decade "recently" though. Spidey fits the mold of an Avenger pretty well, and has even been on the team long enough to act like a mentor (like he did with Hope in AvX). I agree with all your other points though. He has been teaming up with FF (specifically Johnny Storm) and X-Men (specifically Wolverine) a lot longer than he's been an Avenger. He and Wolverine were even Fantastic Four stand-ins before they were Avengers.

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: @jaken7:

And now we have the reasoning behind all this, and it's all very contract-based and mundane. According to Variety, the insertion of this scene in Spider-Man 2 happened because the film's director Marc Webb "had an existing contract with Fox Searchlight to helm another film following 2009′s 500 (Days) of Summer. After The Amazing Spider-Man in 2012, Webb’s negotiations briefly stalled with Sony as he was caught in a tug-of-war with Fox. Eventually, Fox agreed to allow Webb to direct Sony’s Spider-Man sequel, but only if Sony would promote its X-Men film for free." Hence the mid-credits stinger.

The trade paper says that Sony could be benefiting from this move as it "allows the studio to situate its movie in the same Marvel family as Captain America and Iron Man, even if the creative team behind those films - including star producer Kevin Feige - are separate. Many fans look forward to the much-hyped codas at the end of a Marvel film

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flameboy298: Hmm...well that's lame. Still, if it pays off, we could see more of this stuff in the future. It can only be a good thing for us. How good remains to be seen.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By LyraFay

I read that it was deal between Sony and Fox over Marc Webb's move from Fox Searchlight to Sony. Weird but that's how Hollywood is run.

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weird

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lyrafay: Yeah, 2 comments above you gave extensive detail about it. It is incredibly strange.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

@jaken7: I know. I wonder what went down in the boardroom.

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lyrafay:

I wonder if the rivalry is really deep between these companies like when Fox and Sony enter the board room together its like a staredown when both of the members walk in and its like

Fox:Sony......

Sony:Fox..........

Sorta like how it was when Bane and Batman first met in The Dark Knight Rises lol

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

A universe with the X-Men, Spider-Man and FF makes a lot more sense than it does being mixed in with the Avengers.

I actually completely agree with this.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@flameboy298: a cinematic universe isn't big enough for both the Avengers and the X-Men because most of the characters wouldn't get used and it would always be weird that they never appeared in each others movies but the X-Men, FF and Spider-Man can co-exist pretty easily since they all focus on different aspects, Spider-Man deals with the smaller, city wide events, FF being off in space or an alt dimension and X-Men dealing with the large scale genocide inducing events. Also SPider-Man has a long history of teaming up with the X-Men and the FF where has the Avengers stuff has only started happening recently.

Lets not forget they are from different companies creating the movies so its probably unlikely they'd merge. And the difference between avengers and X-men and Avengers is that two characters in them ( Quicksilver and Scarlet witch) are different ages in each movie so it just wouldn't make sense.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TASM 2 is awesome.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

If the scene appears in the credits of the U.S. version, I'd say Sony and Fox are planning on a future team-up. Why else would they have a preview in the CREDITS if they weren't?

Honestly I think it would be pretty funny if Sony and Fox combined their characters into one universe. People have been talking about Sony possibly working with Marvel on having Spider-Man appear alongside The Avengers, so doing a big 180 and having him team-up with the X-Men would be a big "screw you!" to Marvel. lol

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JakeN7

@war_killer: Read post #18. I guess it has to do with the director and existing Fox contracts.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#30  Edited By Fallschirmjager

I doubt it will lead to anything but I agree Spidey would fit better with FF and X-Men more than Avengers - especially the FF.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: If that is true, then all they're doing is simply taking advantage of fans who look forward to those mid-to-after credit scenes. The whole point of those scenes is to get the fans excited about future Marvel movies, while still having some short of connection to the movie they just saw.

Having a random trailer for a completely different movie that will have no connection to Spider-Man...Fox and Sony may think it's the same thing, but it's really just taking a cool and fun way Marvel uses to tease future movies and abusing it for.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@war_killer: Yeah, it apparently has to do with an outstanding Fox contract the director of ASM2 had.

It's pretty dumb that people are going to be waiting for something cool, and when they see that, 95% of the people are going to think there's an imminent crossover incoming soon.

G_leno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I first heard this and thought there would be a cross-over, the first thing that popped in to my mind was Magneto's line from last stand.

'They..... They are learning!'

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: Exactly. What works with how Marvel does their mid/after credits scenes is that those scenes are either mentioned subtly in the movie or have some connection to the movie of which credits the scene is in. But having a random trailer for a movie that has no apparent connection to the movie it's in...that's just milking the whole concept of mid-to-after credit scenes. And like you said, it will also confuse people as they're going to leave the theater believing that Spider-Man will be teaming-up with the X-Men in the future.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By rogueshadow  Moderator

There wasn't anything at the end of the screening I went to.

MannEffest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

@jphu8414 said:

Title made me freak out for a second because I thought that meant that they were going to crossover or something lol.

I'm sure it's just for good promotional purposes though

This is exactly what I thought lol

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

@jaken7: Exactly. What works with how Marvel does their mid/after credits scenes is that those scenes are either mentioned subtly in the movie or have some connection to the movie of which credits the scene is in. But having a random trailer for a movie that has no apparent connection to the movie it's in...that's just milking the whole concept of mid-to-after credit scenes. And like you said, it will also confuse people as they're going to leave the theater believing that Spider-Man will be teaming-up with the X-Men in the future.

I agree with all this. It worked in the Marvel Cinematic Universe because those mid/after credit scenes were used to predict what will happen in the future movies of Marvel and how they could possibly affect the characters involved in said movie. But, just using a mid/after credit scene to promote another film that has no chance of crossing over (although that could change down the line) would just make the fans even more angry once they find out that there was no intention of crossing Spider-Man over with the X-Men.

Avatar image for stealth_warrior
Stealth_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08: Spider-man willl beat Wolverine.!!!!F**K YEAHHHH!!!