as of 2013 best story arch you've ever read

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JamDamage

I do this forum about every 6 months or so. I know there are a lot of forums that people have started about their favorite archs, but I like to throw in a date to make it recent. The major reason I do this, besides the fact that I like to push my favorite archs, but it's also to see if someone lists something that I never read and I might want to check out. Recently while watching an episode of Comic Book Men they mention Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing, and they also get into it with a lot more information so I'm intrigued. What ever. In the 25 years of reading I have my favorites like Killing Joke, DKR, but the stories that blew me away in the 10 years was Millars "Grand Theft America" from The Ultimates. Sure his whole run connected which made the story even better, but Bryan Hitch art was epic. Rick Remenders whole run on Uncanny X-Force tho, is now my all time favorite run on anything. Dark Angel Saga was a classic before it even ended and you could tell by the positive reviews it was getting on here. I just wish Opena finished Remenders run because Final Execution was great too. What are your favorites. I want to know.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

I won't count Kingdom Come since it's elseworlds so, I say 52.

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JamDamage

@The Stegman: Kingdom Come is great. I wasn't asking for anything in continuity with anything either. I just want to know what people favorites stories are. Kingdom Come is one my favorites too.

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JamDamage

@Glitch_Spawn: it's okay so far.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jorgevy

like all time or the ones that are being done now in 2013?

Avatar image for rideaspacecowboy
RideASpaceCowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 98

#7  Edited By RideASpaceCowboy

Final Crisis is my all time favorite arc or limited series, followed closely by Flex Mentallo.

Other stories to read if you've never had the chance, in alphabetical order:

• All-Star Superman
  • Pax Romana
  • Rising Stars
  • Wanted
  • Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?
JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JamDamage

@Jorgevy: all time. I just put 2013 to update the forum. I do this about every 6 months to a year, and if there was a story or arch that I haven't read, I'd like to know. I'm sure someone is going to put "Court of Owls" on here. But all time.

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JamDamage

@RideASpaceCowboy: You're a man of good taste. Even tho I didn't like All-Star Superman Final Crisis, Wanted, and Rising Stars are in my top stories as well. Rising Stars is a maxi series that is never ever mentioned, and I'm surprised. Reading if from start to finish takes a while, but it's mind blowing when it's finished. Just genious. I actually haven't read it in a while but now I have that itch. If you haven't read it, read Uncanny X-Force 1 thru 35. It makes a large story in iteslef. Like Mark Millars The Ultimates run.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Hard to say..sooo many. Ones I liked from "back in the day" that won't get much mention nowadays include:

The Great Darkness Saga from the Legion of Super-Heroes.(290-294)

I LOVED the "Death of Superman"...a lot of people hated it, but to me, it was a perfect example of how to pace a story. (And nothing is more important to me than pacing.)

The Elektra Saga from Miller's Daredevil..I also like Waid's current run, but as of now..like Miller's a little better.

Speaking of Waid..read "Irredeemable" sometime.

Lot's of Batman stuff, but other folks will bring up Batman stuff, no need for me to. :)

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Onemoreposter

There are too many great ones to count, but I just reread Superman and Batman: Generations so it's fresh in my mind. THis is such a great story and I feel it really get's overlooked. It's starts in 1939 and then ages the characters in "real time" up until 1999 (the year the story was written). It was sad and serious and campy and fun and overall just fantastic. The story is written and illustrated by John Byrne. He's one of my favorite Superman artists and a great writer.

Freaking iconic.

blazinasian112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By blazinasian112

@JamDamage: I agree the Dark Angel Saga in Uncanny Xforce is probably the best ARC I read. The Messiah Trilogy is a close second

Sharkbite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Sharkbite

The miniseries "Absolution" by Christos Gage is my all-time favorite.

After that, probably "The Rapture" arc of Elementals with Reverend Skagg slaughtering all those people to build his own superhero team.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jorgevy

well then, all time. I think Kingdom Come and Red son are still some of the best ever. Also the entire run on Irredeemable/Incorruptible

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#15  Edited By TheCannon

Not sure. Some contenders are:

• Dark Phoenix Saga
  • The Ultimates
  • Blackest Night
  • Flashpoint

Killing Joke was good, but extremely overrated,

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By reignmaker

Kurt Busiek's Astro City: Confession is still one of my favorites. Reads kind of like an elseworlds Batman & Robin tale. But it's one of those stories that has stuck with me over time.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Reignmaker said:

Kurt Busiek's Astro City: Confession is still one of my favorites. Reads kind of like an elseworlds Batman & Robin tale. But it's one of those stories that has stuck with me over time.

Oh yeah...that was great. Busiek is very much "hit-or-miss" (IMHO) but that was a huge "hit."

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JamDamage

@TheCannon: all these are on my lists already except for flashpoint. I thought flashpoint had some moments but really just fell on it's ass. I was very very let down. DC had it's chance to makes it's own "Age of Apocalyps" which I'm suprised no one has reccomended yet. I won't even debate with you on Killing Joke and you calling it over rated. We'll end up fanboys arguing about stupid shit and gets no where.

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By minigunman123

@Glitch_Spawn said:

I know it's in the middle right now but Death of The Family is really good. Chaotic.

This. It is quite good.

I'm going to say... Flashpoint for number 1, runner up is very likely Infinite Crisis.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#20  Edited By TheCannon

@JamDamage said:

@TheCannon: all these are on my lists already except for flashpoint. I thought flashpoint had some moments but really just fell on it's ass. I was very very let down. DC had it's chance to makes it's own "Age of Apocalyps" which I'm suprised no one has reccomended yet. I won't even debate with you on Killing Joke and you calling it over rated. We'll end up fanboys arguing about stupid shit and gets no where.

I really enjoyed Flashpoint, though I think I just loved it so much because it started the New 52. It was a good story, but I think that's why I love it so much. Plus I just like alternate timelines. And I liked the Killing Joke, but people act like it's the greatest thing ever written. It could be argued for Batman (even though I've been enjoying Death of the Family more), but it doesn't compare to anything written by Geoff Johns.

impossibilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By impossibilly
No Caption Provided

You can't go wrong with Batman: Year One. Nearly three decades later, it still holds up.

JimTheSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JimTheSurfer

Venom : Savage Six. It was simply amazing. Venom shows his true dark side. And villains are actually dying. Bunn has screwed up everything since then tho...

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By Cap10nate

For me, it is:

1. Captain America - Winter Soldier Saga & Death of Captain America
  2. Thor - Walt Simonson's run - Beta Ray Bill and Surtur
  3. Batman - Year One
  4. Annihilation - One of my favorite stories to re-read. Especially with the tie-ins.
  5. Swamp Thing - Alan Moore's run from when he took over through the assault on Gotham. Just gets too weird after that.
  6. Avengers - Busiek's run with Ultron Unlimited
  7. Avengers - Geoff Johns - Red Zone - Fantastic story.
  8. Dark Knight Returns

I just ordered Kraven's Last Hunt, FF V5 Masterworks with Coming of Galactus, Avengers/Defenders War, and Busiek's Avengers V. 5 with the Kang Dynasty. So hopefully some of those will make it into my favorites list as well.

wimble23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By wimble23

Batman No Man's Land has definitely stuck with me the most.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#25  Edited By Teerack

Dying Wish! lol

but seriously maybe Kingdom Come? i have no idea.