#1 Posted by THORSON (2357 posts) - - Show Bio

As a comicbook fan or a fanboy do you care about who is stronger? Or are you more interested in the story?

These who is stronger battles will never end or have a final result. I use to be obsessed with them, but have gotten tired of arguing and trying to figure who is stronger/powerful.

THOR/superman/hulk/batman debates are all to blame.

#2 Edited by AllStarSuperman (21616 posts) - - Show Bio

Same as you. I don't go on every thread and say superman wins.

#3 Posted by Fallschirmjager (16481 posts) - - Show Bio

I like stories, but there is nothing wrong with a good debate either.

#4 Edited by Battle_Forum_Junkie (7808 posts) - - Show Bio

@thorson: I just read the stories. It doesn't really matter to me who's stronger or who would win in a fight. Most times I'm a fan of both combatants in the frequently debated battles.

Batman and Superman, Thor and Hulk, for instance.

#5 Posted by Wolverine08 (41014 posts) - - Show Bio

This.

#6 Edited by Cap10nate (2218 posts) - - Show Bio

All story for me. I don't care about the battle threads or characters ranking against other characters. I just want to be entertained by a well conceived story.

#7 Posted by THORSON (2357 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallschirmjager: yea, but we've been arguing about superman/batman/THOR/hulk for years. It hasn't gotten us anywhere than repeating "Superman is weak against magic", "hulk is the strongest", "all batman needs is prep ", "superman is lame".

#8 Posted by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (10874 posts) - - Show Bio

I care if my favorite character has a chance if not, I don't care.

#9 Edited by XImpossibruX (5171 posts) - - Show Bio

A fan yes a fanboy no.

I couldn't care if someone beat my fav character, what I don't like is people downgrading fav character.

#10 Edited by PowerHerc (83251 posts) - - Show Bio

I care about who is stronger, faster, more powerful, a better fighter, etc. and I also care about the story and the art. I need it all.

#11 Posted by i_like_swords (13940 posts) - - Show Bio

Whenever I read fights I come to conclusions about everything. Sort of put every character on a scale in terms of general power/fighting ability. The story has to be good but I read comics for the conflict.

#12 Edited by DoomDoomDoom (4234 posts) - - Show Bio

I mainly care about the story and that's it. In the rare cases where I become interested in "who's stronger" it's just to kinda better understand where someone fits in power wise in respect to other characters.

#13 Posted by Yokergeist (12355 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually prefer stories about "weaker" people rather than strong people like Superman because its like an underdog win.

-$NG

#14 Edited by Marionettegeist (1912 posts) - - Show Bio

Story is much more important to me.

#15 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

I think a mix of both is fine. You can be interested in the story, the characterization, the art - at the same time you can be interested in debating about powers or who would win in a fight. It's no surprise, since battles are a big part of superhero books, as are superpowers.

#16 Posted by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

Stories are always the most important thing.

#17 Posted by GraniteSoldier (7520 posts) - - Show Bio

A fan yes a fanboy no.

I couldn't care if someone beat my fav character, what I don't like is people downgrading fav character.

Stole the words from my mouth right here. I like a good story for characters I like, but I hate when writers purposely low-ball them for plot purposes because it is something other people who don't like them as much tend to never let go of, then underestimate the character.

Stories are of first and foremost importance though. If the character's story is cancelled, well, he won't have any feats to debate with.

#18 Posted by Joygirl (19387 posts) - - Show Bio

Both. I love stories BUT DAMMIT MY FAVORITE CHARACTER HAD BETTER DAMN WELL KICK EVERYONE ELSE'S ASS OR SOMEONE'S GONNA F***ING PAY.

#19 Posted by Girth (1041 posts) - - Show Bio

Fanboy debates don't really go anywhere. People like who they are going to like, so you might as well concentrate on the story.

#20 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5834 posts) - - Show Bio

I care more about the story than about who's stronger in battle. The only time I'm concerned about the character's strength in the story is if it becomes too inconsistent.

#21 Posted by Lvenger (19237 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

I think a mix of both is fine. You can be interested in the story, the characterization, the art - at the same time you can be interested in debating about powers or who would win in a fight. It's no surprise, since battles are a big part of superhero books, as are superpowers.

Best two answers on this thread IMO.

#22 Posted by MaccyD (3956 posts) - - Show Bio

The story definitely, without it you typically just get a series spamming feats. That's not to say a good brawl now and then isn't appreciated.