• 82 results
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Arrow's back, Viners! After taking a few weeks off, the show returns with an episode that really steps up the drama and makes some absolutely huge developments. To top it all off, Time of Death even manages to use a new villain, the Clock King, to give Felicity some time to shine! Who doesn't want that, right?

First and foremost, this is a ginormous episode for Laurel. For several episodes now, many of us have been beyond frustrated with the character. Yes, she's endured hardship after hardship, but nothing was ever done to make us want to see her recover. Much of the time she was lashing out at others or acting like a complete brat -- it felt virtually impossible to root for her. Without blatantly spoiling what happens, I will say the writers create two absolutely critical scenes for the character. The first one with Oliver is intense and gives Stephen Amell a chance to deliver a more compelling performance. It's just too bad that an overuse of handheld cameras became distracting. I understand the shakiness is an attempt to sell the intensity of the heated conversation, but it reaches a point where it's just jarring instead of beneficial. For the second scene, Katie Cassidy offers a powerful performance as she talks with her sister, Sara. It's a legitimately strong scene and most certainly a key moment for the show. Laurel's not the only Lance with some emotional drama this week, either. Her father, Quentin, has a scene that is almost guaranteed to soak some of your empathy.

The flashbacks in this episode don't progress the island story (until the very end, that is), but that's okay because they exist to make a major reveal about the dynamic between two characters in the modern day story. Truth be told, you'll probably see the twist coming a mile away, yet thanks to the performances and directing, it's still an impactful and effective moment.

William Tockman aka The Clock King is played by Robert Knepper and he gives a fine performance. Ultimately, his plot isn't all that special, but how it impacts Felicity totally is. With Sara now in the mix, Felicity is questioning what she brings to the team when Tockman is able to counter her technical skills. Felicity's almost always there to put a smile on our face as she says something likable (so, she's basically the opposite of Laurel?), but it's great to see some depth given to the character. After all, everyone else on the team can go out and fight crime and she's stuck back in the base. This narrative also gives her the opportunity to be the focal point in a good scene with each character on the team (Oliver, Sara, Diggle). Plus, the performance Emily Bett Rickards gives in her final scene is flat-out awesome and, unless you have a heat of ice, it'll give you a good laugh.

Going into spoilers here, so skip to the next paragraph if you don't want 'em! I'm thrilled they're turning Slade Wilson into a more prominent character, but how many times are we going to see him serve as the big reveal in the cliffhanger? It's like the fourth time now, right? Thankfully, it looks like they're done teasing Deathstroke and he'll finally play a larger role in the next episode.

As much as I loved the handling of the drama, there were a couple times where the music simply felt like too much and took a little bit away from the moment. Perhaps if the volume was little lower or if the score was less like something you'd hear in a romantic movie it wouldn't be as distracting. This only happened twice, but both times it hurt the scene by feeling too cheesy instead of actually helping to pull more emotion from me. Also, it's kind of odd to make Roy part of the team and then literally reduce him to one or two lines and have him not in the loop at all. It would be great to see them incorporate him a little more now that he's officially met the team -- well, everyone except for Sara in costume.

You know what's funny? I'm a sucker for a good action scene and the fights in this one were minimal, yet Time of Death still turned out to be one of my favorite episodes. They've taken massive steps with Laurel and did a praiseworthy job juggling some solid drama with the rest of the cast. This gave the actors a chance to step up and each of them nailed it. The fact the episode included a couple of blatant easter eggs doesn't hurt, either! Then there's the cliffhanger which finally promises to deliver on something we've been waiting quite some time so see!

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Who is that in the picture on the right?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@muyjingo said:

Who is that in the picture on the right?

The Clock King.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MuyJingo

@k4tzm4n:

Cool, thanks. Thought he looked a bit like Gordon, was wondering if he was a detective or something.

deathstroke19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By deathstroke19

It was a great episode even though there was minimal Slade. Good news is that next week its all about me. ^_^

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By MrMazz

Double header of greatness with this and The Americans one right after the other

EDIT: Cheap Plug to User Review

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@mrmazz said:

Double header of greatness with this and The Americans one right after the other

I'm way too tired to watch that, but it's on my DVR and I'm stoked to check it out tomorrow

It was a great episode even though there was minimal Slade. Good newsies that next week its all about me. ^_^

Ha. It definitely seems like it.

@muyjingo said:

@k4tzm4n:

Cool, thanks. Thought he looked a bit like Gordon, was wondering if he was a detective or something.

No problem.

deathstroke19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: Lol I'm soooo pumped for next week its almost sad.

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CheeseSticks

This episode was mind blowing.

iceslick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 83

@k4tzm4n: Good review Gregg! I'm assuming you finally understood about Laurel as much I did before. She got me so conflicted in today's episode. I was mad and feel sorry at her at the same time, lol. Also, I think me having ADHD, the music didn't bother me as much. I have hard hearing because of it. lol

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MrMazz

@k4tzm4n: add an extra 10 min to the rec it runs for 67 min an mine stopped early :( thank goodness for encores

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

deathstroke19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patrat18: Lol honestly. The look on Ollie's face after Moira said Slade Wilson was like Da Fuq. Then the way Slade smiled and shook Ollie's hand was epic as heck. @thecheesestabber: Look at post #8. That's who I thought was you for a few seconds.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 the_stegman  Moderator

whoa...whoa...Arrow's back?? My DVR didn't record it!!! Ugh, I think local basketball cancelled it in my city.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patrat18: Lol honestly. The look on Ollie's face after Moira said Slade Wilson was like Da Fuq. Then the way Slade smiled and shook Ollie's hand was epic as heck. @thecheesestabber: Look at post #8. That's who I thought was you for a few seconds.

Woah Woah spoilers man. That handshake was intense.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Finally Slade confronts Oliver, and in his own home that's ballsy!

deathstroke19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patrat18: People shouldn't read the comments when there's bound to be spoilers lol. And yes, yes it was.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccraft said:

Finally Slade confronts Oliver, and in his own home that's ballsy!

Ballsy indeed friend.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

the ending!

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Loved the ending! Also, those references and showings of Kord Industries was pretty cool (along with that Channel 52 News truck). The plane on the island was kind of random, but the character development it brought forth was interesting. Also, a badass, realistic Clock King. Can't wait until the inevitable episode where Condiment King appears!

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Meh", the ending was the best. I hope Slade kills Sarah.

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great review, have to say I pretty much agree completely. Also I like how Felicity has some emotional development because though she's fun, she needed more depth and prove she can go on the front line if necessary. Then Laurel, I'm glad how she was handled in this episode because it's progress and less endless spiral. But the situation with her dad kinda hurt lol

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MrMazz

I love the trashy greatness of that ending scene between Ollie and Slade. Bennet has carried that charming ham presence from Spartacus to Slade Wilson. He and episode director Nick Copus know that whole scene is male soap opera glory and just go for it with a wink and a grin and I cackled like a mad man. Just like I did when they revealed Slade the first time. O this show and its use of melodrama.

reaverlation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By reaverlation

Arrow already occupying with its thrilling awesome(Freaking Deathstroke people)and now enjoying Game of Arms.This has been an amazing week especially when Friday arrives to top it off :D

Great job by the way @k4tzm4n. Never disappoint :)

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#24  Edited By Fallschirmjager

Great episode IMO. The character development was awesome.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Episodes like this make me realize just how far the show has come since its first season. Great episode. The only complaint I have is Roy's minimal screen time. They could have at least ventured a reason for his not being part of the team for the past two episodes. But aside for that, everything else was simply great.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I think it's to late for me to start caring about Laurel

Bat_Mite51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone else hear the "MacGregor's Syndrome" from Batman & Robin in this episode? I thought it was pretty funny.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

Anyone else hear the "MacGregor's Syndrome" from Batman & Robin in this episode? I thought it was pretty funny.

Nice catch.

Avatar image for hillbillymorangie
HillbillyMorangie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hope this comes to the BBC it sounds like its getting good.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Great job by the way @k4tzm4n. Never disappoint :)

Great review, have to say I pretty much agree completely.

@iceslick said:

@k4tzm4n: Good review Gregg! I

Well, thanks for reading it!

DcAnime2014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DcAnime2014

@supbatz said:

Episodes like this make me realize just how far the show has come since its first season. Great episode. The only complaint I have is Roy's minimal screen time. They could have at least ventured a reason for his not being part of the team for the past two episodes. But aside for that, everything else was simply great.

When I first watched this show, I couldn't stand it! But It's gotten better. Btw good job @k4tzm4n.

And Seriously, where was Roy in the last episode??Getting a haircut?

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That ending though.

comicbookfan93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was an alright episode, filled with a lot of drama. Good villain though.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

CF12793

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By CF12793

the realization with Sin was actually more surprising to me then Slade's reveal at the end. I'm not sure what the point of revealing yourself to your most hated enemy is, but I'm sure Slade is going to have a pretty fun time messing with Ollie's head in the remaining episodes, and it will be interesting to see how Ollie changes now that he knows the truth about Slade. I can't wait to see what happens between them on the Island. I hope I'm not wrong, but I think that the scene where Slade and Ollie become enemies will leave many people talking for years to come.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 the_stegman  Moderator

FINALLY!!!! Ollie yells at Laurel, I'm tired of her "spiral" and her being mad at everyone because she can't cope with her own problems.

"I'm done with you",

I've been done with her for the entire season.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My favorite part was when Oliver put Laurel in her place.

Avatar image for doctorthomaselliot
DoctorThomasElliot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By AllStarSuperman
Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I love Felicity, I may marry her when she asks me.

TheDalek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved the ending how Slade and Ollie were staring at each other

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

That family dinner went well!

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@jonny_anonymous said:

I love Felicity, I may marry her when she asks me.

She's so cute... especially when she's tripping on aspirin.

spidershamrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By spidershamrock

Great episode, great ending. Hopefully this brings a close to Laurel being an asshole lunatic and maybe next episode Roy could be involved

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

Awesome review! I really enjoyed this episode and I'm glad that Felicity got some action time! I also loved the fact that Laurel is starting to become a better character in this episode and I hope that she starts becoming even better in later episodes.

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Experio

Brilliant episode, great ending.

Anjon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Anjon

That whole revelation with Sin almost took me out of the episode completely. A random plane shot from the sky happened to come from Starling City, the pilot gives his final request to a secondary character who is also from Starling City, and the photo of Sin as a 12 year old girl looked identical to the way she is now, including her punk-rock-ish hairstyle. Not only did it seem utterly ridiculous, but it was completely unnecessary.

Avatar image for heraldofganthet
HeraldofGanthet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n:

Am I the only one who caught the "Blue Devil" movie poster on the side of the bus Ollie saved from disaster?

Anyhoo, great review sir!