#1 Posted by MonkeyStarship (406 posts) - - Show Bio

A lot of people have bin saying Olivier is to much like Bruce in arrow, but i don't really see it. what makes him to much like batman?

#2 Posted by SNascimento (450 posts) - - Show Bio

There are obvious similarities, but I wouldn't say it's "just like" Batman.

#3 Posted by sagejonathan (2195 posts) - - Show Bio

He's in the shadows all the time and acts very ominously. That's not how Green Arrow is supposed to roll.

#4 Posted by JediXMan (32054 posts) - - Show Bio

The show is putting way too much emphasis on his fighting than on his archery. That's the big problem here.

#5 Posted by serpent222 (321 posts) - - Show Bio

There are certain scenes in Arrow where I've literally thought I was watching Batman. Obviously they are trying to make them similar.

The only example at the front of my mind is that Ollie gets poisoned or wounded and crashes on a roof and calls for help (to Diggle) in almost the exact same voice an situation as Batman calling Alfred in Batman Begins after being sprayed with the fear toxin.

#6 Posted by Agent9149 (3023 posts) - - Show Bio

Ollie has parents.

#7 Posted by longbowhunter (8464 posts) - - Show Bio

Green Arrow was created in the 40's for one reason only. DC wanted another Batman. As the characters grew and evolved that became less evident, but its always there. I don't see it as a bad thing though. I love both characters.

#8 Posted by _Azure (230 posts) - - Show Bio

@longbowhunter said:

Green Arrow was created in the 40's for one reason only. DC wanted another Batman. As the characters grew and evolved that became less evident, but its always there. I don't see it as a bad thing though. I love both characters.

Pretty much exactly what I was going to say!

#9 Posted by roboadmiral (558 posts) - - Show Bio

While I'm thoroughly enjoying the show, he is acting more like Batman than Green Arrow. He's very grim and obsessive, and he doesn't have any of the swashbuckling, devil-may-care disposition Green Arrow is known for. We get a bit of it when he's being Ollie for his family and friends, but that's like Batman too. I get that they're trying to repeat a successful formula, but I do wish they'd try a bit harder to give Green Arrow his own voice.

#10 Posted by danhimself (21226 posts) - - Show Bio

@roboadmiral said:

While I'm thoroughly enjoying the show, he is acting more like Batman than Green Arrow. He's very grim and obsessive, and he doesn't have any of the swashbuckling, devil-may-care disposition Green Arrow is known for. We get a bit of it when he's being Ollie for his family and friends, but that's like Batman too. I get that they're trying to repeat a successful formula, but I do wish they'd try a bit harder to give Green Arrow his own voice.

agreed....I see a lot of Batman in Arrow...from his scientific knowledge to his obsessiveness....I do also wish that they would try a little bit harder to make him more a little bit more distinct

it just seems like CW REALLY wanted a Batman show but DC and WB said no so they just disguised a Batman show as Arrow

#11 Posted by JamesKM716 (2018 posts) - - Show Bio

@longbowhunter said:

For the most part. I agree.

#12 Posted by Raizex (378 posts) - - Show Bio

@Agent9149 said:

Ollie has parents.

ooooooooooooooooooooooh oh shiit. lol

#13 Posted by Teerack (8712 posts) - - Show Bio

Oliver is supposed to be like batman. They have a sorta rivalry. Except Batman is smarter, and Queen is much more mentally healthy.

#14 Posted by Fire_Angel_Mike (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Both are billionaires- simple and no biggie. Both disappear for a couple of years and are trained under harsh and disciplinary conditions- okaaaayyyy, a little too similar already. Both return home creating a fake self-absorbed, somewhat-stupid persona as a cover for their dark, ominous vigilante identities... okay, this is Nolan's Batman. As a plus, both have a love interest in a lawyer :/ just saying.

#15 Edited by Mrnoital (3882 posts) - - Show Bio

there are similarities and differences, people see what they want to see

#16 Edited by The_Kidd (3163 posts) - - Show Bio

#17 Posted by Bat_Girl_CC (4371 posts) - - Show Bio

Both are billionaires- simple and no biggie. Both disappear for a couple of years and are trained under harsh and disciplinary conditions- okaaaayyyy, a little too similar already. Both return home creating a fake self-absorbed, somewhat-stupid persona as a cover for their dark, ominous vigilante identities... okay, this is Nolan's Batman. As a plus, both have a love interest in a lawyer :/ just saying.

That, and they both are very skilled in Hand-to-Hand (Ollie is on Arrow), they both know 1 thing or 2 about science, they both have a computers-expert on the team, Bruce has Oracle, Ollie has Felicity, they both are shown as very capable, but yet needing help, from close friends, they both have a somewhat rivelary with Slade Wilson, both have fought the League of Assassins, both have met Talia, i could go...

#18 Posted by Bat_Girl_CC (4371 posts) - - Show Bio

on...

#19 Posted by Dernman (16870 posts) - - Show Bio

I do wish they would pull away from the Batman universe.

#20 Posted by RisingBean (5467 posts) - - Show Bio

Because any street level vigilante is riffing off of Batman...

#21 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (14851 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Edited by LEGACY6364 (3879 posts) - - Show Bio

Even a plate of sh** needs inspiration.

#23 Posted by EarthsMightiest (975 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe it's because Arrow been stealing Batmans villians?

#24 Edited by koshi_waza88 (2501 posts) - - Show Bio

its not easy being the only other non-powered hero from a rich family trying to help ... just like Shazam is compared to Superman, Oliver is unique in his own rights. people are always compared to there predecessors if your a boxing champ you are measured by how similar or different you are to previous champions.

#25 Edited by Cloakx14 (4660 posts) - - Show Bio

sometimes, i see that Arrow is exactly like Batman. except arrow Ollie has a voice modifer to change his voice and doesn't sound like cancer batman from the movie.

#26 Posted by Ryagan (3264 posts) - - Show Bio

They're pretty similar, but Ollie's character is more irritating.

#27 Edited by TheAmazingSpidey (3396 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a mediocre show - the similarities between Batman are simply minor issues.

- TAS

#28 Posted by black_wreath (1033 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally I love the show but I'm more concerned with all the borrowing from Teen Titans.

They can take whatever they want from Batman as far as I'm concerned, he's had his day and then some.

#29 Posted by Xwraith (24568 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally I love the show but I'm more concerned with all the borrowing from Teen Titans.

They can take whatever they want from Batman as far as I'm concerned, he's had his day and then some.

What has it taken from Teen Titans?

#30 Posted by Justthatkid (5789 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith: Slade and Brother Blood are what I could think of. Slade's a merc though so there's that not big on his Arrow origin though which went south with the introduction of Mirakiru.

#31 Posted by black_wreath (1033 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith:

Deathstroke (and Ravager), Brother Blood, H.I.V.E, Markovia, Arthur Light reference.

If you want to get technical founding member Roy Harper, Thea (if Thea is indeed Speedy/Mia) and Bludhaven (Nightwing) though can't complain about loose connections like that.

If this is a different universe to the upcoming Titans show it makes me nervous about what's left for them other than Trigon and the Fearsome Five.

#32 Edited by DeathpooltheT1000 (14851 posts) - - Show Bio

We need an official thread about Arrow copying The Dark Knight Trilogy and Batman in General.

#33 Posted by EyeDCyou (3908 posts) - - Show Bio

Well Green Arrow is pretty similar to Batman in general, but people are saying that because Arrow is a dark show. Often times, people think that if something in the DCU is dark, then it's too much like Batman.

#34 Posted by Deathstroke52 (1861 posts) - - Show Bio

@eyedcyou said:

Well Green Arrow is pretty similar to Batman in general, but people are saying that because Arrow is a dark show. Often times, people think that if something in the DCU is dark, then it's too much like Batman.

This!

#35 Edited by BlackWind (7956 posts) - - Show Bio

Because its so easy to nitpick every little thing.

Ra's all Ghoul has clashed with Ollie in the comics. So has Deadshot. And Slade. These characters don't below under Batman's nuts.

#36 Edited by L3g3ndaryPheonix (240 posts) - - Show Bio

he has his similarities but people like to nitpick

#37 Edited by koshi_waza88 (2501 posts) - - Show Bio
@deathpoolthet1000 said:

We need an official thread about Arrow copying The Dark Knight Trilogy and Batman in General. (NO!!!!!)

@blackwind said:

Because its so easy to nitpick every little thing. (YES!!!!)

Ra's all Ghoul has clashed with Ollie in the comics. So has Deadshot. And Slade. These characters don't below under Batman's nuts.

Arrow dose not copy it simply exists in a larger universe with a diverse range of characters- deadshot and assassins can appear in any series they want even "Gothem" because they are well traveled characters... plus movie Batman loses to Arrow's Oliver in martial arts, gadgets (not including the cars or planes due to buget), feats etc Oliver has taken on meta-humans while batman got his back broken by an asthmatic

#38 Posted by godzilla44 (4159 posts) - - Show Bio

@eyedcyou said:

#39 Posted by Jmarshmallow (11725 posts) - - Show Bio

1). In the Comics, Oliver acts like Oliver even when he's wearing the hood. He's not dark, ominous, or Batlike. He's funny and makes jokes. Not the case in the show.

2). Ollie's H2H skills are showcased too much in the show. I realize they do that because people enjoy watching it, but Ollie has always been an archer first and a fighter when it's ABSOLUTELY necessary. Way too Batlike.

3). They use a lot of similar characters that are known for being tied to Batman, not Green Arrow. Deathstroke, Ra's, Huntress, Deadshot, Bronze Tiger kinda, etc.

Granted Green Arrows Rogue Gallery isn't as large, he still has some quality ones that could have been used instead. Not that I'm complaining about it, but it's definitely pretty Batlike.

4). He makes his Voice sound stupid and deep in the show, just like Batman does in the movies. Way too Batlike for obvious reasons.

5). And the worst thing? Ollie tells his secret identity to every pretty woman he possibly meets. WAY too Batlike.

Jmarshmallow

#40 Edited by regiebravo (1468 posts) - - Show Bio

It's one of the main reasons I love that show. If we're never getting a Batman TV show then I'm glad Arrow can be a similar show.

#41 Posted by BlackWind (7956 posts) - - Show Bio

Oliver uses a voice changer. Not some fake gruff cancer voice.

#42 Posted by Transformers1024 (6767 posts) - - Show Bio

Yea, it's ALOT like Batman.

#43 Edited by Teerack (8712 posts) - - Show Bio

The first season of Arrow is about Frank Castle and the second is about Bruce Wayne, all I know is DC has haired the writers of the TV show to help them ruin the Green Arrow comic book so I stopped watching/supporting it.

#44 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (14851 posts) - - Show Bio

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

We need an official thread about Arrow copying The Dark Knight Trilogy and Batman in General. (NO!!!!!)

Yes we do, every month we get a new thread like this.

Also we should have a MoS bashing thread.

One thread to rule them all!!!