ARES GOD OF WAR

kidThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kidThunder

I have seen and read ares comics,sadly a few issues of his own and some appearances,I am huge fan of Ares but marvel tend or i may say so boldly make him a "weak" character compared to HERC and THOR,and they are not many comic books about him..Ares has been a very impressive character in marvel..what you guys think about him?His strength and powers?, should marvel upgrade him??, more issues for ARES should be printed out?..and should they amp him up?

Avatar image for the_lunact_and_manic
The_Lunact_And_Manic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

As long he doesn't get curbstomped to death again, I'd like to see him again.

He's not THAT weak, IMO.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

yeah I find it weird that Ares, greek god of war, is weaker than Thor, Norse God and Hercules, greek demi-god/hero

but heck, that's how marvel and comics in general go

18hunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't, he is much weaker than myth Thor, weakest of the male gods infact,

MandoViking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MandoViking

@jorgevy said:

yeah I find it weird that Ares, greek god of war, is weaker than Thor, Norse God and Hercules, greek demi-god/hero

He doesn't have to be strong, that's not his thing, his thing is his fighting. He's the god of WAR, not the god of strength.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jorgevy said:

He doesn't have to be strong, that's not his thing, his thing is his fighting. He's the god of WAR, not the god of strength.

I have not even mentioned strenght in my comment. I said he is weaker. not as powerful. you know what powerful means???? seriously.....

MandoViking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jorgevy: You said weaker, sorry if I misunderstood.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

I don't mind him being at the power level he was.

kidThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kidThunder

@mandoviking:what do you mean he doesnt have to be strong?ares is the god of war..his strength is rival only by hercules..and they are saying he is only 100+ ton in strength, i think tats ridiculous..marvel needs to amp his strength...his vast knowledge in battle through out the millennium,his battle experience,The God of War, warfare strategies,command and use all weapons in the universe should be prioritize isnt it?..i think it has too..he should be up there with the power houses like herc,thor,supes,..maybe not thor and supes...but he should have a more powerful version..he should rival the big guns.thor and supes i may say so boldly..he is one of them...what say u all...?

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

He did some big numbers in Might and Dark Avengers. For being the god of war Marvel doesn't show the way you might think. They should bring him back, I mean he's a god right? Can they die and never come back?

MandoViking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kidthunder: I did not say he doesn't need to be strong, I am saying that In my opinion the focus should be on his fighting skill and not on his strength. I admit I do not know a lot about the character, but I agree that he should have very high-end combat feats(I do not know if he already does or not).

I did not mean to start an argument, and I apologize if it seamed that way.

Avatar image for New_World_Order
New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think he is going to come back soon. This time I have a feeling Marvel will boost him up a bit.

kidThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mandoviking: No no...dude..please dont apologize, haha...im trying to get as many feed backs as possible no matter what there ah..hahaha...really dude.. wasn't arguing,its a discussion, i just wanted to know why doesn't marvel amp ARES up...seriously but thanks for the honest comment dude..and yes he is and has very high end combat feats,,,He is after all the god of war and death..battle God..

MandoViking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MandoViking

@kidthunder: Okay, thanks. Like I said I do not know much about Marvel's Ares(or the myth one either) I am more of a Norse guy.

kidThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kidThunder
PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

@mandoviking: awesome...no probs dude...thanks..hey if your into norse myth..by any chance you know more about rune king thor powers?(i do know his powers)vs celestials...theres a thread there...i like to know what you think if your interested...here it is..

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles-7/rune-king-thor-vs-a-celestial-657828/

uh.. If I recall right, there is no 'rune king thor' in the actual myths..

on the thread, though, isn't tyr the warlord in the myths (the one who lost his hand to fenris)? he definitely needs some credit, too.. the warrior three are so... weak... myth versions are quite awesome.

MandoViking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kidthunder: Haven't actually been able to find much on him, but I know he's more powerful than Odin.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PrinceAragorn1
MandoViking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dtm1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Last time I saw Ares he was ripped in half by Sentry but that was more or less taking one for the team for being an odd one out and more or less for shock factor. I doubt anyone expected to see it happen that way as much as they knew he'd get his arse handed to him. Was a bit extreme.

But I agree that he shouldn't be weaker than Hercules as God of War over Demi-God. Thor is an ultimate; a God and one of Marvel's golden boys. So he is going to be stronger by favouritism. But as God of War he should be superior to so many, in skill, knowledge and strength, otherwise he's a bit pointless and unfortunately I believe that such past events have painted him in such a light, to the extent where writers and producers may not particularly want him back.

kidThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kidThunder

@dtm1980: exactly....my point...Why is marvel depowering him all this while..i mean sentry i know he is super strong..but ripping ares in half?during a war and battle during SIEGE comic saga...should in fact, fuel ares wrath,rage and powers..how did he get ripped in half like that..it isn't fair..he get's his ass handed to him?why?so easily?

Thanks for the reply...do you think Ares should be top tier marvel superhero/anti hero..?

kidThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themanintheshoe: They cant die...their immortals ..i guess..they can be defeated maybe...but they, how would you put it...their Godlike force will regenerate back.. they are Olympians...

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In Greek Mythology, Ares was pretty incompetent. He only became a respectable god in Roman Mythology as Mars. The Romans respected him, whereas to the Greeks he was kind of a joke and most Greeks looked to Athena as the true patron of war.

And Heracles (Hercules in Rome and Marvel), was traditionally the most powerful Greek deity, after he ascended to godhood, of course.

Id say, if we were going purely by Mythology, Heracles would be one of Marvel's most powerful characters, eclipsing Thor.

"His value as a war god is placed in doubt: during the Trojan War, Ares was on the losing side, while Athena, often depicted in Greek art as holding Nike (Victory) in her hand, favored the triumphant Greeks... When Ares does appear in myths, he typically faces humiliation." - Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ares

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giants_(Greek_mythology) - Heracles saved the gods butts against the Gigantes

MzombieX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ares is a great character. Although he may be considered physically weaker than someone like Thor or Herc, I'm not so sure it's necessary to amp him up. Every Pantheon Lord has his role and by making him equal in strength to Herc, it would undermine what Herc represents to the Greek Pantheon ... as a god of strength. Sometimes characters who are too vast in power make it difficult to find opposition for them to face. They become more difficult to write for. Having everyone too overpowered doesn't always make for a "better" character or more interesting story telling overall.

I had a similar discussion with someone who was a fan of the Thing and said he wished Marvel made him stronger. He wanted him amped like the Hulk. Being a fan of Ben myself ... I personally wouldn't want to see that. The struggle is part of what makes him who he is. He doesn't have to be the absolute strongest kid on the block. We already have a Hulk. Watching Grimm overcome the odds based on heart, is the foundation that defines him & draws me to his character.

Granted he was used as a punching bag/measuring stick to showcase the power of Sentry ... so I can see how that would be a disappointment to fans. Yet Ares' soul is immortal. He's still extremely powerful in his own right and well known for his skill & tactics in war. When the need arises for someone like Thor or Herc ... they face those challenges. I see Ares as contributing to a story arc in the way someone like Valkyrie might. Though I could see something along the lines of a situational power boost being implemented. Such as gaining power in relation to the scale of events taking place. Feeding off the strife & conflict of battle in the midst of a great war - Allowing him to gain resolve & strength.

dtm1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dtm1980: exactly....my point...Why is marvel depowering him all this while..i mean sentry i know he is super strong..but ripping ares in half?during a war and battle during SIEGE comic saga...should in fact, fuel ares wrath,rage and powers..how did he get ripped in half like that..it isn't fair..he get's his ass handed to him?why?so easily?

Thanks for the reply...do you think Ares should be top tier marvel superhero/anti hero..?

I think he was being treated as a novelty at the time, with all of Asgard being brought in the mix. He was already the outsider being a Greek God and then also being on Osborn's team, so naturally the story would have led to him losing or dying for it. It was just over so quickly. Thor could beat Reynolds down as the demon with one strike but Ares couldn't get a shot in when he was the Sentry?!?! Quite unfair but maybe Fraction was trying to say that Ares was a bit too old school to beat a new threat like Sentry.

With the send off he got, it's over without being resolved but that gives them license to bring him back. And i think if they did, he would have to be bitter with quite a few people and therefore anti-hero if not anti-villain (if anyone even uses that term except me). There will always be a point in time where characters like Ares are needed to take the burden off the shoulders of the likes of Thor. Especially when fans tire of Thor always being the almighty go-to character to win a losing battle.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#26 god_spawn  Moderator

Ares is one of those characters that gets lost in the shuffle. He has a lot of potential based off his title and what he should be. But I feel like Marvel doesn't honestly know what to do with him, hence why they killed him. And even when he is around, I don't feel like they ever really found a consistent opponent or class of opponents for him. Ares is supposed to be a level 7 fighter in Marvel. Meaning he knows every fighting style, every martial art, every weapon etc, yet displays mediocre skill, preferring his stats over any discernible skill level. He's kind of a low class brick in terms of strength so when he does get a hyped up feat, say like fighting Skaar, he shouldn't be able to lock swords with someone that is at least 10x stronger. He should be getting overwhelmed relatively easily if he blocks or crosses blades. He's been downed by bullets before. He's had his ax taken away from him by Namor. His ax has been snapped from Rulk and then swatted away. Sentry ripped him in half. He jobs constantly to the big leagues and when he is hyped back up, it's just him mowing down a bunch of fodder.

If he is to be successful, he needs to find a league of his own. Killing people who can barely hurt him then turning around like he is some threat to a mid tier brick like Namor only to get his butt kicked has gotten old.

kidThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By kidThunder

@mzombiex: Awesome feedbacks dude ...Thanks alot..,keep it coming when you got more..

And yeah bro,But as the God of War..one of his traits should be strength in battle,during wars..he is fueled by its rage energy that ten folds his strength if im not mistaken,and i understand that he is compared weaker to thor/herc but making him a punching bag..comon marvel..and yes if he is amp up..its difficult to write..but not to the extent of making ares into mash potatoes...right?

I really hope the next ares issue,he gona be a bad ass killer,rage and war...why doesnt marvel write more about ares...??

MzombieX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MzombieX

@kidthunder: He needs that definitive title. A writer who understands his potential & can build a solid series around it. Michael Oeming did a great job of bringing a sense of humanity & character building to his struggle & what makes Ares who he is, during Chaos War. He just needs more of that kind of treatment.

As god_spawn said in his above post - He unfortunately gets lost in the shuffle & often ends up jobbing too much. Which is too bad, because he has a great character design & looks like a complete bad ass. While on one hand, I said I wasn't convinced he directly needs an "amp" ... I do believe he needs to be shown more consistent to what he should truly be capable of. He is said to be second only to Hercules or Zeus himself, in terms of Olympian strength. Yet most importantly, his combat skill & knowledge of the art of war should be clearly cemented on panel.

Sometimes being an anti-hero type can work for popularity, while at other times some readers can't relate or feel emotionally detached from the character's sense of morality. He is the God of War after all & I wouldn't change who he is at his core, but perhaps given time & some more depth to the character to make us care ... we'll see him featured more often in the future. Solid storytelling, impressive feats, or acts of nobility that leave a lasting impression on the reader - may be more important than an amp - to bring this character into the spotlight & earn him the respect he deserves.

LeeSensei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By LeeSensei

@kidthunder said:

I have seen and read ares comics,sadly a few issues of his own and some appearances,I am huge fan of Ares but marvel tend or i may say so boldly make him a "weak" character compared to HERC and THOR,and they are not many comic books about him..Ares has been a very impressive character in marvel..what you guys think about him?His strength and powers?, should marvel upgrade him??, more issues for ARES should be printed out?..and should they amp him up?

HERC should be upgraded too.

@jorgevy said:

Hercules is a god.

dtm1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My bad, I was under the impression he was a Demi-God, but I truly cannot claim to be an expert

kidThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By kidThunder

@dtm1980: Currently Herc is a demi God after he restored olympus after the event of incredible hercules or was it chaos war?

And after the knives of khush and prince of power..does herc have any latest comics this year 2013 and end of last year 2012?

What about Ares?man i love ares...do you think a full powered Ares can Go toe to toe with The sentry/void? a rematch?What do you guys think...Ares a god of war..

And does anyone know Ares feats?

dtm1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All I know is that Ares defeated Pluto and his armies. The wiki page mentions the Chinese or Japanese god of evil too but I dunno about that lol Ares could have hacked Phobos up into pieces probably if he had the full power of the Olympians on his side but as the Sentry, it would actually have been harder to defeat Bob Reynolds. He was just a Superman in God Mode kind of character as Sentry. I think the Herc story arc was Chaos War and that one brought Ares back briefly.

kidThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dtm1980: Yeah mikaboshi or some sushi god..what?thats all is his feat..army of pluto?man..marvel really killing this character..Ares..he need's an upgrade or some saught..i heard he also became the God of Death recently..after defeating hades...Marvel should Power him up...

dtm1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dtm1980: Yeah mikaboshi or some sushi god..what?thats all is his feat..army of pluto?man..marvel really killing this character..Ares..he need's an upgrade or some saught..i heard he also became the God of Death recently..after defeating hades...Marvel should Power him up...

Hahaha I thought Guan Di from My Name Is Bruce was the god of sushi... OH WAIT, that was bean curd!

Yeah when you become the god of death you kinda dont get messed with... unless Thanos gets envious maybe!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#36  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Yea slagging off the only good book Ares has ever had....... nice one.... also sushi god? not cool

kidThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: is marvel coming up with a new book about ARES anytime soon?..what about sushi god?

And one more thing....About thor.. Does anyone know thor's comic sequence after Siege??like the mighty thor,uncanny avengers,ultimate thor,avengers vs xmen,..pretty much confuse about that...

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@jonny_anonymous: is marvel coming up with a new book about ARES anytime soon?..what about sushi god?

And one more thing....About thor.. Does anyone know thor's comic sequence after Siege??like the mighty thor,uncanny avengers,ultimate thor,avengers vs xmen,..pretty much confuse about that...

as in stop saying sushi god because it's kind of raciest

dtm1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By dtm1980
kidThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dtm1980: woow..getting off topic here..haha...nice one dtm...God of kitchen...ok,dude..do you have the thor's comic sequence...?after the events of siege?i know Ares only had the savage axe of ares..have you read it?the black and white ....

dtm1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By dtm1980

@kidthunder: Nooooo not me unfortunately, I dont keep up to date and then just catch up with arcs here and there. I just like the being silly aspect of joining a serious conversation. I can always go an wiki it tho lol