#1 Posted by kgb725 (6440 posts) - - Show Bio

Could an outbreak actually happen ?

#2 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5779 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, that's why everybody is prepared for it. I already have my zombie plan, team and weapons ready in case it does happen.

#3 Posted by Bruxae (13397 posts) - - Show Bio

It could, but its really unlikely and farfetched.

#4 Edited by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, hence why I have a AK-47 under my bed.

#5 Posted by JediXMan (30288 posts) - - Show Bio

Not the way it's typically portrayed. It would be more like widespread rabies or like that bathsalt guy. It would not be the dead coming back to life, but live people who became deranged due to a plague.

#6 Posted by comicace3 (4572 posts) - - Show Bio

it could happen. There is such thing as a virus. And when a new virus comes that affect human brains turning them into zombie-like people then that's when my master plan comes in...

#7 Posted by DH69 (4258 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, theres always gonna be one person who can't let go of an infected be it a snot nosed brat, a spouse, or parent, and that usually leads to a pattern of infection.

#8 Posted by The_Legendary_SuperSaiyan_Hulk (9877 posts) - - Show Bio

Before anyone says something else: why is a zombie dangerous? They are nothing more than decomposed flesh. This means their muscles are also decomposed...therefore they lack the actual ability to move or even to get above their own graves. Because of this I find a zombie outbreak highly amusing, as in just to get infected you'd have to actually put yourself in their jaw and force it down as there is not enough muscle to do it itself. There could be hundreds of zombies at this very moment and not one person would know because of this.

The only problem I would see if it infected a newer body, one that hasn't gone through much decomposition.

#9 Edited by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:

Not the way it's typically portrayed. It would be more like widespread rabies or like that bathsalt guy. It would not be the dead coming back to life, but live people who became deranged due to a plague.

this

the only similar thing would be a virus that alters people, or some type of nanotech that "revives" the dead.

otherwise, a virus that revives the dead is ridiculous and wouldn't work. a body without blood would walk let alone run after people

#10 Posted by JediXMan (30288 posts) - - Show Bio

@jorgevy said:

@jedixman said:

this

the only similar thing would be a virus that alters people, or some type of nanotech that "revives" the dead.

otherwise, a virus that revives the dead is ridiculous and wouldn't work. a body without blood would walk let alone run after people

A nanotech "virus" might be a method, but that's more like a nanotech crisis (like Prey - great book).

The only other thing I can think of is that "zombie parasite" that controls its host through the brain. But, again, the host is still alive. It won't come back from the dead.

Before anyone says something else: why is a zombie dangerous? They are nothing more than decomposed flesh. This means their muscles are also decomposed...therefore they lack the actual ability to move or even to get above their own graves. Because of this I find a zombie outbreak highly amusing, as in just to get infected you'd have to actually put yourself in their jaw and force it down as there is not enough muscle to do it itself. There could be hundreds of zombies at this very moment and not one person would know because of this.

The only problem I would see if it infected a newer body, one that hasn't gone through much decomposition.

I always wondered that. Really, a zombie shouldn't even be able to walk, let alone overpower a human being.

An outbreak would be more likely to occur in less developed nations, but even then I don't see it being likely. And the thought of zombies bringing down the government is just silly.

Though the Walking Dead excuse that everybody is infected... yeah, that could be a problem.

#11 Edited by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

No for many reasons, a big one being that biting is a highly inefficient manner to spread a virus, if it was an effective method then we'd have all died from rabies by now.

#12 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

exactly and even the newer fresher bodies would eventually decompose in some time

#13 Posted by AweSam (7373 posts) - - Show Bio

It's very possible. Can't just assume it's not.

#14 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman: right. that's why I dont like zombie fiction. like couldn't they just all hide for a week or so and all the zombies would rot or die from hunger? if you cant feed you cant make your muscles repair themselves or make them work, and if you cant do that, they rot.

I much prefer aliens...

#15 Edited by JediXMan (30288 posts) - - Show Bio

@jorgevy said:

@jedixman: right. that's why I dont like zombie fiction. like couldn't they just all hide for a week or so and all the zombies would rot or die from hunger? if you cant feed you cant make your muscles repair themselves or make them work, and if you cant do that, they rot.

I much prefer aliens...

I agree. I don't like zombies very much.

... that said, I do enjoy the Walking Dead, so...

#16 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

@jorgevy: Also insects and non affected animals would slaughter them whole sale. Odds are good that any virus that affects us wouldn't do anything to birds, amphibians or reptiles and there's no guarantee that it would affect all mammals leaving a ton of large predators that are only beneath us on the food chain is due to our ability to use tools and higher brain function take that away and we're just slow ass hunks of meat.

#17 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman: well, Kirkman is a cool writer. I dont enjoy TWD, maybe bc of zombies, but I love Invincible

@jorgevy: Also insects and non affected animals would slaughter them whole sale. Odds are good that any virus that affects us wouldn't do anything to birds, amphibians or reptiles and there's no guarantee that it would affect all mammals leaving a ton of large predators that are only beneath us on the food chain is due to our ability to use tools and higher brain function take that away and we're just slow ass hunks of meat.

thank you! I mean there's so many arguments against zombies.... I try to use them to explain to my friends why i find zombies ridiculous and why I dont like Walking Dead or zombie movies, but they just dont understand

#18 Posted by JediXMan (30288 posts) - - Show Bio

This is kinda true. But how many predators are living wild in the US?

... which makes me wonder: what happens to all those zoos in a zombie apocalypse? Wouldn't the zombies try to break in, eat a couple of the weaker animals, get killed themselves, and essentially release all those predators?

#19 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman: ya, the animals might actually be the problem for mankind if a zombie outbreak actually happened xD

#20 Edited by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman: Well if a zombie broke into a cage with a sizable pride of lions then they'd be eaten damn near instantly. Or if dogs happened to be immune after about an hour of seeing other dogs die they'd flip that wolf switch in a second and form packs. Actually that's kind of an awesome idea for a movie.

#21 Posted by Vortex13 (12250 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, it is.

#22 Posted by cfrehse (1004 posts) - - Show Bio

i think it is but the decay factor would make it so we normal people would win or survive easily. I mean the bodies would decay enough in a few weeks that the zombies would be slow enough to kill. Even the brain should decay enough to where the body would be useless

#23 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

@cfrehse: Rigamortis alone would give us a hell of a head start

#24 Posted by danhimself (22490 posts) - - Show Bio

Read The Zombie Survival Guide...Brooks comes up with some very plausible explanations as to why zombies don't decompose as fast as normal bodies would....and if you combine that with The Walking Dead's "everyone already has it" virus and it doesn't matter how you die then a zombie virus breakout would be a very bad thing

#25 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

The zombie apocalypse idea fails to take into account how physically pathetic humans are compared to other animals. Take that brain away and we're useless therefore really the only creatures that would really be at risk in a zombie outbreak would be other people. Just imagine an out break in Africa, human teeth wouldn't be capable of doing any damage what so ever to even the softest skinned elephants.

#26 Posted by Mercy_ (92684 posts) - - Show Bio

Read The Zombie Survival Guide...

Tell me you've read World War Z, as well.

#27 Posted by JediXMan (30288 posts) - - Show Bio

@jorgevy said:

@jedixman: well, Kirkman is a cool writer. I dont enjoy TWD, maybe bc of zombies, but I love Invincible

I don't like Kirkman, but I enjoy watching TWD. I haven't read the comic yet, though.

#28 Edited by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:

@jorgevy said:

I don't like Kirkman, but I enjoy watching TWD. I haven't read the comic yet, though.

oh. I thought you were talking about the comics LOL I dislike the show even more than the comics, sorry :D

#29 Edited by Ms. Omega (4432 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really there is a fungus in nature which takes control of the host insects motor functions and spreads its spores to another insect so they are kinda zombies in a way here is the video of what I am talking about. Just think of what would happen if this spread to humans the upcoming game The Last of Us expands upon this concept.

#30 Posted by Dayvid3 (807 posts) - - Show Bio

I watch the walking dead, ebcause i'm interested on how they handle things, but I think zombies are dumb. They don't eat enough to not fall apart. And why does stabbing them in the top of the head kill them when they only use the base brain-stem level functions of the brain. It's all serious suspension of disbelief. The only good thing about them is writers haven't' tried to make them sexy like the other monsters that are supposed to scare us.

#31 Edited by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Zombies came from the apocalyptic stories wherein vampires take over bec. of nuclear war radiation or virus. A virus that causes humans to turn into zombies is quite believable but zombies should die of hunger to be believable.

#32 Edited by mrdecepticonleader (17859 posts) - - Show Bio

No an actual zombie outbreak is pretty much impossible.

#33 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman: I honestly think Invincible is way better than Walking Dead as far as Kirkman stuff goes.

#34 Posted by The Stegman (23915 posts) - - Show Bio

@jorgevy said:

I much prefer aliens...

Well the way I see it, it doesn't have to actually make perfect scientific sense, I still enjoy zombie stories if done right, because they focus on the people trying to survive rather than the zombies. Alien stories tend to just gravitate toward a standard action flick, with the exception of District 9 and Super 8 which were awesome human stories.

@mercy_ said:

@danhimself said:

World War Z kinda bored me, I got about half way through it.

#35 Posted by The Stegman (23915 posts) - - Show Bio

To answer the question, I don't see the whole reanimation of the dead scenario happening..but maybe a virus could strike sort of like 28 Days Later.

#36 Edited by Dragonborn_CT (21844 posts) - - Show Bio

Even if it does happen, I think its going to be pretty self-contained incident and not going to cause the downfall of civilization within days like almost every zombie media ever. Unless if its a demonic origin like a voodoo summoning, them yes, we are pretty much fodidos but what is the possibility of that happening?

#37 Edited by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Zombies can also be explained as human biotech experiments gone wrong.

#38 Edited by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman: I honestly think Invincible is way better than Walking Dead as far as Kirkman stuff goes.

I agree. atleast he doenst kill everyone ahahha

@the_stegman: I get that, but if i want to read or see about human struggle and survival there's plenty of realistic, or even real life examples and media, which I tend to prefer. either that or supernatural/fantasy

but I get why people like the zombie verses, I just try to explain people why i dont and most dont get it

#39 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

No. Our entire concept of zombies as it stands today is a creation spawned by George Romero's films, and "modernly rationalized" with psuedo-science by more recent films and pop culture, featuring zero relation to the West African myths. No Cracked.com article is proof of pausibility.

#40 Edited by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

28 Days Later with zombie virus similar to rabies virus is quite plausible. People with rabies do behave in an irrational manner.

#41 Edited by Vortex13 (12250 posts) - - Show Bio

Zombies are highly implausible if you are going with the traditional type of zombie. The other types of zombies are also highly implausible, but to a lesser degree. It bugs me that there are people out there that genuinely believe that a zombie apocalypse could happen. Those people need a higher understanding on how the human brain functions as well as the rate of decay in a human being. It is a completely unrealistic concept for it to actually happen. It would also be easy to contain. You quarantine people you think may be sick and if they turn kill the brain, burn the body. Really not that hard to take down a hoard of slow moving meat puppets. This coming from a guy who has seen damn near every zombie movie and is a huge fan of the concept, and even wrote three blogs (that I've posted on this site) approaching the best ways to take down zombies, best survival tools to have in a zombie apocalypse, and the anatomy and the biological make up of zombies. All of this while knowing that the actual plausibility of such things happening are are none to zero.

#42 Posted by Vortex13 (12250 posts) - - Show Bio

@mercy_ said:

@danhimself said:

I have! ^_^.

#43 Posted by Agent9149 (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:

Have you ever played dishonored. They have these enemies that are people infected with a plague and they are like zombies.

#44 Edited by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

If you have rabies that can be spread by air like the cold, there is potential to easily infect all humans on the planet except for some humans living alone in more isolated areas.

#45 Posted by danhimself (22490 posts) - - Show Bio

@mercy_ said:

@danhimself said:

I haven't but I do have it...just haven't gotten around to reading it yet

#46 Edited by blackadamFTW (7867 posts) - - Show Bio

If you're talking about like in the movies: hell no. Could there be a type of disease like rabies that spreads quickly and effectively? Of course. But SCIENCE would find a way to stop it rather quickly.

#47 Edited by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20146 posts) - - Show Bio

@mercy_ said:

@danhimself said:

I have.

Them Yankees really screwed up.

#48 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackadamftw: I don't know why people keep saying like rabies as an example of a disease that works efficiently, its really not. Animals that have it are more of a danger to themselves than anything else a rabies infected zombie would be just as likely to kill itself running into a wall as it would be to attack someone.

#49 Edited by blackadamFTW (7867 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: I wasn't referring to it working effectively. I was referring to the symptoms.

#50 Edited by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackadamftw: The symptoms would still lead to the zombie doing far more damage to itself than to anything else.