#1 Posted by JamDamage (1105 posts) - - Show Bio

this is a question that might offend some people that I have. It can go a few differant ways actually. I'm asking this because of all the ball busting I get. First off you need to know that I'm an Italian male from Chicago and I'm over 30. I'm not married, and don't have girl friend, but that by choice right now. I get laid quite a bit, watch a lot of sports, and pretty damn artistic, and I grew up fighting a whole hell of lot, and most of my friends I've know since I was 5. I have a very large circle of friends, I was popular in School, and made a lot of trouble for being outspoken and cracking a lot of jokes, and Ive been reading comics since I was around 12. I only have 1 friend who also reads comics and he only read Wolverine and Batman while I read every thing from DC and Marvel. I get joked on a lot by my friends and family for reading comics and always have. I never got picked about it in high school, even tho I always had one on me during my classes and everyone around me knew I read them. No one said shit because they knew I'd tear them up if they got me pissed. I did very good with girls in school, and very well with HOT girls. Other then the responces from my posts on here, and messeges people leave me I don't have any other contact with other comic readers. Not socially. About a month ago I was in a comic store with my brother and there was a group of about 7 guys all talking with each other about Damian Wayne. I hate Damian because, comic or not, its just to fake. I don't care how much training a 10 year old gets, from Batman or not, he's not tough. He's fighting crooks, that in the real world most likely have been fights. One good punch and that 10 year old is finished. Also he won't have enough power to really hurt most people. Anyway, they were debating about him and I said out loud "Fuck Damian. He's ten. I'd give him one good boot to the face and he's done." They all laughed and most said I was right. They asked a few more questions on my opinion like "What's a good age minimum to be Robin, and how should Batman react to Damians attitude." "I said start traing at what ever age, but he can't hit the street til he can drive, and surely not if he doesn't have hair on his balls. Also if I was Batman, I'd treat him like my father did when I was bad, and give me a crack. That actually toughens a kid up. Plus how do you give a billionare a time out?"

We walked out and my brother had look of amazement on his face. I asked him what was up and he told me that I could be their king. He said how he just saw the cast of Big Band Theory and couldn't believe there were people that geeky. He went on how they reacted to my answers and opinions circled me and moved in like I was preaching what they wanted to hear. He also mentioned how I could have beat all 7 of them at once, and it was like they knew I was no push over. Like they'd run to me for protection if they could. I want to know if there are other people out there like me. Not so much someone who can throw down and box, but someone who is not a geek and how you're not a geek. I'd assume the people that I offend with this question are the ones that are geeks and grew up dorks. Do you know you're a dork, or are oblivious to it. I really am curious.

#2 Posted by JohnnyWalker (821 posts) - - Show Bio

i'm a jack of all trades.

#3 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29331 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm pretty sure I'm a geek.

Or a deluded loser who prefers a different label.

Either way works.

#4 Posted by MinkoAk (38 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm definitely a geek. There is no doubt about that. Comics, video games (in a geeky way), only reason I don't do any D&D and such is because I don't have the time.

But I'm a geek who is in a relationship. With his bestfriend. Who also happens to be pretty hot.

So I'm safe :D.

#5 Posted by JohnnyGat (1561 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a geek and a slacker.

#6 Posted by Lvenger (16054 posts) - - Show Bio

@MinkoAk said:

I'm definitely a geek. There is no doubt about that. Comics, video games (in a geeky way), only reason I don't do any D&D and such is because I don't have the time.

But I'm a geek who is in a relationship. With his bestfriend. Who also happens to be pretty hot.

So I'm safe :D.

Lucky devil.

#7 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17123 posts) - - Show Bio

Does anyone else find this thread to be rather smug?

#8 Posted by JairamGanpat (949 posts) - - Show Bio

@Glitch_Spawn said:

I do, sir, I do find this thread quite smug.

#9 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@Glitch_Spawn: I find it to be quite hilarious actually.

#10 Posted by DoggySmoove (8 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know, i occasionally play video games nothing hardcore. when i was in school i was friends with everybody pretty much, i was never bullied but i kept my comic book addiction a secret. i was so scared about anybody finding out, its so bad my parents don't even know i read comic books. i wish i had the courage to tell people about my nerdiness but i feel i will get mocked alot so i like to keep my geek side hidden from the world. so i suppose im ''normal'' by day geek by night, its my alter ego!

#11 Posted by Gritterr (490 posts) - - Show Bio

@JairamGanpat said:

@Glitch_Spawn said:

@Deranged Midget said:

All of this. So many feelings reading this

#12 Posted by Cap10nate (1884 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow. . . let me see if I can ask a similar question without sounding like such a prick. Do many people here only read comics as opposed to fully immersing themselves in the culture with anime, games, cosplay, etc? I'm in my mid 20's, am married, have a good job, and only started to read comics a couple years ago. I never really read them when I was younger as an escape as I did sports year round through college. I just enjoy the characters and stories. I'd rather be outside hunting, fishing, or tossing some horseshoes and I have never really discussed comics other than on here sporadically. I just want to see if there are others like me who just skim the surface of the comic world by reading or do most here fully participate in all the other activities?

(I hope that came off better than telling how much puss I pull or how tough I am or other ways to show that I am sweet)

#13 Posted by JoseDRiveraTCR7 (1005 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm just a guy that reads comics. The whole nerd/geek pride thing annoys and bothers me.

#14 Posted by AweSam (7103 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a geek who just happens to read comics.

#15 Posted by sinestro_GL (3008 posts) - - Show Bio

I read comics, was good in school, loved sports, play games (but not religiously).

#16 Posted by Madame_Mist (1325 posts) - - Show Bio

I just really read them because I enjoy them.

#17 Posted by longbowhunter (5842 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not sure who's dumber, Testosteroni here or me for actually reading it all. All that needed to be asked was, "Are there any other casual comic book readers out there"? Next time don't waste time telling us how much of a poon wrangler and all around badass you are.

#18 Posted by TheThe (1709 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm wondering if all of this is not just a joke. The guy seems so proud of his alpha male skills. At least it was very funny to read :D.

#19 Posted by Krissyjump (104 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a girl and a pretty huge geek myself.

#20 Posted by GillaDro (230 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not a nerd and, none of my friends read comics. I'm not obsessed with them either, I just like to read and collect them.

#21 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4637 posts) - - Show Bio

The word geek pertained to sideshow/circus freaks and before long it was adapted by computer enthusiasts, not so much the literati. The label is just too vague to be taken seriously.

#22 Posted by They Killed Cap! (2243 posts) - - Show Bio

Im a good combination of the two, but I hide my geekness pretty well.

#23 Posted by MinkoAk (38 posts) - - Show Bio

@DoggySmoove said:

I don't know, i occasionally play video games nothing hardcore. when i was in school i was friends with everybody pretty much, i was never bullied but i kept my comic book addiction a secret. i was so scared about anybody finding out, its so bad my parents don't even know i read comic books. i wish i had the courage to tell people about my nerdiness but i feel i will get mocked alot so i like to keep my geek side hidden from the world. so i suppose im ''normal'' by day geek by night, its my alter ego!

A geekanthrope then ?

#24 Posted by thespideyguy (2579 posts) - - Show Bio

Call me Dr.Sheldon cooper

#25 Posted by ratman19 (525 posts) - - Show Bio

im the definition of geek. i have a few friends who dont read comics but they do spend majority of there time playing video games(i do to). i stated reading comics when i was 9. i never got bullied about it.im in marching band at my high school. im very awkward around women.everyone knows that i have an obsession with comics so people come to me with there superhero questions.

#26 Posted by Or35ti (1101 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't call myself a geek.. I read comics, play video-games, play sports, do well in school, and have a pretty good social life I think

#27 Edited by RedQueen (1171 posts) - - Show Bio

wow...just wow.

But to answer your title question: geek. I was good at school. Currently in my second year at university. Obsessed with comic books/movies. Play Video games. Have an awesome social life. Did wear braces, but now don't. But it depends on how you define "geek". I like to think of myself as borderline nerd/geek.

#28 Posted by Joygirl (15369 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Posted by SoA (4592 posts) - - Show Bio

im a comic geek proud of it , and yes im a adult lol (26yro) and no im not a social outcast . yes i do get into arguments about comics with my roommates ,

#30 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@JairamGanpat said:

@Glitch_Spawn said:

@Deranged Midget said:

both actually

myself, I am a bit of everything, a natural adapter. Im a nerd, an athlete, an artist, etc... and I read comics. Like I do many other things that may not go fully in unison with rest of me, but I like doing them and I do

#31 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jorgevy: Hey, I myself aren't simply subjected to the typical "geek" typecast. I love sports/working out, playing video games, reading comics and the such but the way the OP described himself was kind of cocky.

#32 Edited by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

I consider myself a nerd. I have glasses (Although I never wear them), get extremely good grades, and am pretty much obsessed with video games, computers, and as of a few months ago, American comic books (I read a crap ton of manga before then, though).

#33 Posted by Zomboid (740 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't read the OP, too long. But to answer the topic question...I guess so. I'm a geek, but I have a life. I love comic books, animation (all kinds, not just anime), movies, music, and books (though that's definitely my weakest fandom). I like collecting things, like nice figures and posters/prints. The one geek thing I'm really not into is video games. I always got good grades and hated sports too. I love to talk about these things, and a good majority of my friends are geeky as well, but they don't consume my life. I'm an artist (currently in art school), love fashion (so I really don't look like a typical geek, even if I own a handful of comic related shirts), have a very active social life, and I have a girlfriend of 4 years.

#34 Edited by Owen_Porter (83270 posts) - - Show Bio

Just for future reference clean up the language a little bit. There was a cool way to ask this question.

#35 Edited by grenade728 (737 posts) - - Show Bio

Do I love sports and am I a decent athlete? Yes. Do I love Comic books and am I a okay writer? Yes

Do I hang out with beautiful women? Affirmitive. Can I attract a woman with my comic Collection? I hope so

Do I rock out on guitar? Kind of. Do I rock out on my Nintendo 3DS? Of Course

Do I eagerly anticipate March Madness? Who Doesn't? Do I get excited and go to midnight premieres of comic book movies? No doubt

Can I beat a person up? No. Can I blow some one up with my mind? Heck yes!

#36 Posted by Illuminatus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

Just because I happen to be intrigued by many of the things geek culture centers itself around, does not mean I am fully immersed. That much should be self-evident.

#37 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7497 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah I'm a Sci Fi/ film geek as well as a comic book one

#38 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7118 posts) - - Show Bio

I have geeky tendencies. But I don't really think I fit in the stereotypical geek status.

#39 Posted by CaptainCockblock (3672 posts) - - Show Bio

Quit attacking the OP, guys. He's obviously the second coming of Chuck Norris. Now, let's appease his righteous fury by bowing and repenting for being such geeks.

#40 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget: yeah, way too cocky, but I find cockyness funny, specially over the internet where there are no girls, only playboy ex comboys current astronauts who know over 50 different martial arts and can kick your butt because they also used to be a Navy Seal

#41 Posted by Savage_Hawkman (125 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a geek. My IQ isn't high enough to be a nerd.

#42 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27399 posts) - - Show Bio
@Glitch_Spawn said:

yep
#43 Posted by The Stegman (20770 posts) - - Show Bio
@BiteMe-Fanboy:  

I have geeky tendencies. But I don't really think I fit in the stereotypical geek status.

This is probably the most correct answer posted on this thread. Although to be fair, I think we all have geeky tendencies, or else life would be just boring
#44 Posted by TheBigRedCheese (372 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess it depends on who you ask. I'm probably seen as more of a guy who has a hard time letting go of his favorite childhood superhero (Captain Marvel). I still collect a few trades, but I'm slowly getting away from comics, especially the "Superhero" genre. My comic collection no longer holds a candle to my novel collection and I have a few other hobbies I enjoy.

#45 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (13903 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm Batman.

#46 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7622 posts) - - Show Bio

@JohnnyWalker said:

i'm a jack of all trades.