#1 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (5553 posts) - - Show Bio

Hi Everyone.

Recently when I was checking the exchange rate for dollars to pounds, I noticed that at the moment £1 is worth $1.57. This means that at the moment, a $2.99 comic should cost £1.91, and yet most places local to me always charge £2.35, and Ebay shops tend to charge between £2.10 and £2.50.

I thought maybe we had to pay slightly more because of extra shipping costs, if the comics are printed in America, but I thought when a product has a specific price listed on it, you couldn't charge more than that price. I realise exchange rates go up and down, but the shops could set an up to date price daily or weekly, kinda like pawn shops do with up to date prices for gold.

Does anyone know about this sort of thing? I'd be interested to find out why we're being charged extra.

Scarlotte.

#2 Posted by danhimself (21904 posts) - - Show Bio

you're probably getting charged extra for the shipping from the U.S.

#3 Posted by Irishlad (545 posts) - - Show Bio

England isn't the only one getting screwed Marvel is charging 5 euro per issue in Ireland and we're right next door.

For the most part though in most media like games for example the usa just charge the same amount of pounds as they do dollars, not sure why.

#4 Posted by ArticulateT (189 posts) - - Show Bio

It's the same with most media and products that are distributed on a global scale. Because the UK is such a small island, prices are probably higher in comparison to the rest of the world to make up for that. In that same sense, heroes of stories and story settings are typically in America since it makes up such a large part of the consumer audience.

#5 Posted by akbogert (3150 posts) - - Show Bio

My initial answer is "yes," because comic books are too expensive everywhere, including in the UK.

My secondary, more useful answer, is also "yes," and it's likely for the shipping/taxes. I love video games, but a subscription to Edge magazine is ludicrously overpriced because it's a UK publication.

#6 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (5553 posts) - - Show Bio

@Irishlad said:

England isn't the only one getting screwed Marvel is charging 5 euro per issue in Ireland and we're right next door.

For the most part though in most media like games for example the usa just charge the same amount of pounds as they do dollars, not sure why.

Is that 5 Euros for a $3.99 comic? I think most Marvels are $3.99. 5 Euros is $6.76 at the moment, so that's way too much!

#7 Posted by Manbehindthewires (344 posts) - - Show Bio

If you have more than one comic store near you, you just have to play them off each other; compare loyalty schemes, discounts for pre-orders etc. Some stores pre-bag, some charge premium for variants etc. I go to one place for my variants and another for my ongoings, to make a point to both about what I'd like from my LCS. It's not much, but voting with your wallet is sometimes the only way. The other option is to go digital? Or share comics/codes with a mate?

#8 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (5553 posts) - - Show Bio

@Manbehindthewires said:

If you have more than one comic store near you, you just have to play them off each other; compare loyalty schemes, discounts for pre-orders etc. Some stores pre-bag, some charge premium for variants etc. I go to one place for my variants and another for my ongoings, to make a point to both about what I'd like from my LCS. It's not much, but voting with your wallet is sometimes the only way. The other option is to go digital? Or share comics/codes with a mate?

All the ones I go to charge the same prices, and they aren't local enough for me to consider pre-order or loyalty schemes, as I can't necessarily afford train money every month. I think only one does variants, and they're often too much so I end up not getting them. I can't go digital, as I don't like the idea of digital comics.

So I'm kinda stuck.

#9 Posted by akbogert (3150 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: Can't & Won't are different words :P

Though actually I would be interested to know whether the digital pricing scheme is any better. If you're really paying that much more for physical books but could be paying the same amount if you got it digitally, you'd probably save a ton of money. I completely understand the aversion to digital, of course.

#10 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (5553 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: Can't & Won't are different words :P

Though actually I would be interested to know whether the digital pricing scheme is any better. If you're really paying that much more for physical books but could be paying the same amount if you got it digitally, you'd probably save a ton of money. I completely understand the aversion to digital, of course.

It would cost less if I went digital, but I wouldn't actually be getting any comics out of it, so it's not really worth it. I like actually having things for real, and wouldn't trust a device with my collection, in case it broke down.

#11 Posted by akbogert (3150 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: Oh, that's quite understandable (I actually discussed that in my most recent blog). I'm certainly not trying to change your mind about it. But with such price disparity, I'm just curious to know if the digital pricing has at all been affected by the border crossing. Because if it's internationally equal pricing online, then these poor blokes in Ireland could be getting twice as many comics.

#12 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (5553 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert:I checked the Marvel site and the prices are the same as the cover price in dollars. I imagine it'd cost me whatever the current exchange rate would dictate.

#13 Posted by akbogert (3150 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: Well then, I suppose that establishes two things: digital comics are a smarter financial move for international comic readers, and yeah, you in the U.K. are being overcharged for comic books.

#14 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably, that's part of my reason for switching to digital :)

#15 Posted by EMH_Bruce (681 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh, not only the U.K. is overcharched.

Here in switzerland are the prices for comic books insanly high.

for e.g.: I bought the Batman The Black Mirror TPB (in german: Batman: Der Schwarze Spiegel) in a near Kiosk and paid 33,10 SFr (Swiss Francs)

33,10 SFr = 26,88 € = 23,17£ = 36,41$

the written price for Euros on the TPB is: 16,95€ (D) and 17,90€ (A) (D = germany, A = Austria)

So we in switzerland pay almost the double price as germany.

This is crazy! T___T

#16 Edited by callsignneptune (112 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm happy paying the £2.10 that my local store charges me. I just think of the extra as covering shipping and an extra 20p for that isn't that bad to me. As well as that, it's a business and these stores need to make a profit. I'd rather pay a little bit extra and keep my local store trading rather than them charge exactly the amount the comic book is worth in terms of the exchange rate, make no profit and end up closing down.

#17 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (5553 posts) - - Show Bio

@EMH_Bruce: That is crazy! :/

@callsignneptune: £2.10 seems to be the cheapest I've seen in the U.K., from looking at Ebay shops. If it is to make up a bit of profit, 20p isn't so bad. I'd be interested to see how much shops pay for comics before marking them up, to see how much profit is involved.

#18 Posted by EMH_Bruce (681 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: Yes =/ That's one reason why I mostly buy comics (or Manga, they're also more expensive here) when I'm on a Convention in germany. I would buy them here, but the prices are just too crazy <__<#

#19 Edited by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

Why wouldn't Marvel and DC have printing presses set up in the UK? Seems to me it'd be cheaper than the shipping and extra taxes...

What about buying digital comics? If it's done online, isn't the price the same regardless of where you are?

#20 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (16870 posts) - - Show Bio

I am just going to say yes anyway :)

#21 Posted by pikahyper (10366 posts) - - Show Bio

it isn't just exchange rates, import fee's cause most of the problem, we get hit with the same thing in the US importing stuff from the UK, I used to get a lot of computer magazines from the UK that were £5.99-7.99 but here in the US they were $15-26. I also know from a lot of friends around Europe that a lot of shops like to mark up the prices of American comics beyond the marked prices to increase their profit/ROI, happens more often with collected editions then floppies though and it is even worse in South America, Mexico and Australia.