Are video game Characters underestimated in the battle forums?

cfrehse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By cfrehse

Ive been on this site for months and i love it but i always see people bashing video game characters in the battle forums. Well known characters that i think would be a great match for many marvel and dc heroes/villains. For example Kratos Alex Mercer The Assassin creed characters and so forth losing to heroes by the majority of comments that really surprise me. Most people use feats and so forth. I figure its just that most of the people havent played the games through all the way. In the end i think a lot of video game characters are underestimated in the battles boards. Lemme know your opinions please.

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Rumble Man

Well Wh40k videogame chars are not underestimated

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By JonSmith

To be fair, the video game characters are limited by a few things:

1. Player control: Generally speaking, cutscenes only serve to move the story along and don't feature much fighting, because that's left to the player. Thus, any 'in character' fighting styles are usually up to speculation, as is what methods they'd use. At best we can make a vague guess based on what abilities they have.

2. Limitation of gameplay. Following the problem above, games have to be fun. In order to be fun, most games have to be challenging. In order to be challenging, most games have to have a form of failure. Thus, a character can only be so strong in order to maintain that challenge. Comic book characters have no such limitation, and can do pretty much whatever off the wall insane stunt they please, with whatever powerset they please.

3. Lack of durability. Following the two above, in order to maintain the challenge, the characters can only be SO durable. In most cases, they have to be substantially harmed by the usual gunfire in order to justify mass produced enemies without giving them superpowers.

4. Lack of speed. Since the player is only human, a character can only be as fast as normal human perception allows. Thus drastically limiting what you can do without adding a slow or stop time effect.

This and more limits the powers a purely video game character can display, hence why they tend to be stomped against most comic book characters who would at first glance appear to be on a similar level.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Wolfrazer

I would say so, though not all of them are. 

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Jorgevy

they are not underestimated, they just DONT have reliable feats because it's all gameplay.

the ones that do have reliable feats from cutscenes and Expanded universes are not understimated

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

@Jorgevy said:

they are not underestimated, they just DONT have reliable feats because it's all gameplay.

the ones that do have reliable feats from cutscenes and Expanded universes are not understimated

This.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BlackWind

Game feats are difficult to gauge unless in cutscenes, otherwise you'd be debating for game mechanics.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Vaeternus

Yes, big time...especially when people use PIS feats but try to dismiss gameplay, off cam/panel feats for game characters it's a hypocritical double standard.

People ignore one key element a characters powers....but this site is just simply biased and lowballs gaming characters 90% of the time.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#8 frozen  Moderator

Depends. Master Chief stomps nearly every street-leveler in the threads I've seen.

Dratini1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cfrehse: I find it to go both ways, with many people massively over stating any given game character's abilities just because they liked the game. E.g. The slew of Kratos vs Superman threads in which many devout Kratos supporters go for the "He beat gods! He has to be better than superman!" which is rather poor reasoning in the eyes of most people on the forum.

At the same time, most of the game characters in actual, good, fair, and reasonable match ups, are represented pretty well, so long as they have any sort of lore to back up claims. After all, game mechanics are hard to debate with (E.G. the golden gun instant kills don't mean it 1-shots all things ever)

Dratini1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, big time...especially when people use PIS feats but try to dismiss gameplay, off cam/panel feats for game characters it's a hypocritical double standard.

People ignore one key element a characters powers....but this site is just simply biased and lowballs gaming characters 90% of the time.

You can't claim bias against video games when this happens in basically every thread against every character...

Orician_Seis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lolnope have you ever seen a Dovakiin fight? Good lord TES fans think he's god like.

Ironshinobi88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well Kratos is one of those that is hard to argue for, all of his feats, YOU accomnplished as a player. So how much is stuff we know he could do, etc

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dratini1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vaeternus: but it happens to every character, regardless of where they're from. It happens to most DC and Marvel characters.

CF12793

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

believe me, A LOT of characters are underestimated in the Battle boards. I'd say more than 65% are not given the credit they deserve in most threads, especially when they're fighting a Big name that everyone knows the capabilities/feats of.

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think they are. Some are overrated tbh.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cf12793: oh so true, if you have mc and scorpion vs. pyro and batman, bet you anything people would vote comic team due to name alone.

@dratini1331: This is true at times for dc and marvel but ive noticed it doesn't seem to happen as bad to them as much as a gaming guy at least from what ive seen.

Ive seen it with anime threads too to be fair but i know theyre banned.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Video game characters dont really work compared to anything else, which is why they seem underrated. Game mechanics and what not are all part of the narrative, so it is generally impossible to make one clear cut version of a video game character.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Games like Final Fantasy aren't to hard to realize character feats and what not

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

Dante and Kratos are some of the two that are used a lot but over all I thinks so

ShenKuei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cf12793 said:

believe me, A LOT of characters are underestimated in the Battle boards. I'd say more than 65% are not given the credit they deserve in most threads, especially when they're fighting a Big name that everyone knows the capabilities/feats of.

It's all a big popularity contest to be honest.

Games like Final Fantasy aren't to hard to realize character feats and what not

I would say those kinds of games are actually the hardest to determine feats for.