#1 Edited by benben178 (163 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that superheroes are being overpowered. I mean really you are going as a planet buster? I mean the hulk makes sense cause he has to get to a certain level to do that but still he also has to have limit! Superman is overpowered and Sentry. SMH but Batman is cool, but thing is that I think they are running out of ideas sadly. They are trying to keep Them as cultural figures to me not that I can blame them, but they have to have a limit.

#2 Posted by Nightwing4 (369 posts) - - Show Bio

You're right that superheroes are escalating in power. Superman used to be the man who could "leap tall buildings in a single bound." Now he can fly FTL and survive in space. However this is really so that he can face bigger and bigger threats. If villains don't increase in power, its easy to lose interest in them. Why read the latest superman trade when he beat an equally powerful villain in the trade before it? But overall, as long as the stories are good, readers will keep coming back.

#3 Posted by lorbo (1541 posts) - - Show Bio

Comics have been around for a long time. Long enough for our technology to advance enough to render even Superheroes of the past not so super. Which leads to overpowering them.

Not to mention the fact that the plot demands it, because of the constant static battle state of heroes.

Life I have said before, the way to definitively solve the overpowering of heroes is to write your own comic, or book better yet (that's actually easier). Like you said the comics won't stop doing it because they can't. They write themselves into corners and write themselves out of it by static life (no change, or VERY slow change) retconning everything, or making alternate universes.

#4 Edited by cfrehse (1004 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the new 52 and marvel now have done a good job making them look more vulnerable. People will still bring up there old feats that our outrageously powerful. Like take supes for example. He hasnt done nearly anything like he used to. I think as long as they stay away from moving planets and things like that it would make them more interesting. The whol FTL thing is bs now to even bring up i think. Ive been reading a ton of the newer stuff and havent really seen that speed in battle. If superman could move faster than light why would cheetah be able to hurt him. Overall i think they where getting too strong but the new 52 and marvel now have helped a bit

#5 Edited by lightsout (1831 posts) - - Show Bio

@cfrehse: AFIAK, his FTL speed has been travel speed -- and in the vacuum of space. He only goes at "safe" speed in the atmosphere, so as to not hurt the earth or innocents (though even short distance movement should cause a sonic boom if over the speed of sound, so I'm sure there's been many examples of that error)

#6 Edited by benben178 (163 posts) - - Show Bio

You're right that superheroes are escalating in power. Superman used to be the man who could "leap tall buildings in a single bound." Now he can fly FTL and survive in space. However this is really so that he can face bigger and bigger threats. If villains don't increase in power, its easy to lose interest in them. Why read the latest superman trade when he beat an equally powerful villain in the trade before it? But overall, as long as the stories are good, readers will keep coming back.

Well true, I like good stories, but to me sometimes it gets redundant.

@lorbo said:

Comics have been around for a long time. Long enough for our technology to advance enough to render even Superheroes of the past not so super. Which leads to overpowering them.

Not to mention the fact that the plot demands it, because of the constant static battle state of heroes.

Life I have said before, the way to definitively solve the overpowering of heroes is to write your own comic, or book better yet (that's actually easier). Like you said the comics won't stop doing it because they can't. They write themselves into corners and write themselves out of it by static life (no change, or VERY slow change) retconning everything, or making alternate universes.

I agree, as a writer I hope to bring new superheroes to the table, but I might just make them books instead of comics, but I refuse to keep them going on making them dead weights. I'll do like a next generation after a certain point.

@cfrehse said:

I think the new 52 and marvel now have done a good job making them look more vulnerable. People will still bring up there old feats that our outrageously powerful. Like take supes for example. He hasnt done nearly anything like he used to. I think as long as they stay away from moving planets and things like that it would make them more interesting. The whol FTL thing is bs now to even bring up i think. Ive been reading a ton of the newer stuff and havent really seen that speed in battle. If superman could move faster than light why would cheetah be able to hurt him. Overall i think they where getting too strong but the new 52 and marvel now have helped a bit

I need to check out the new 52 then.

@cfrehse: AFIAK, his FTL speed has been travel speed -- and in the vacuum of space. He only goes at "safe" speed in the atmosphere, so as to not hurt the earth or innocents (though even short distance movement should cause a sonic boom if over the speed of sound, so I'm sure there's been many examples of that error)

Hmmm...

#7 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

The american military is also gaining powers over time with biological weapons, anti matter weapons, etc. so the super heroes also need to keep with with human technology. Since governments or corporations can't blow up planets yet, I see no need for super heroes who can blow up planets. I enjoy stories about countries/corporations vs super heroes so I prefer everyone to be evenly matched and nobody should be overpowered.

#8 Posted by benben178 (163 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonyofcells: I agree, but as you said nobody is destroying planets. So shouldn't some heroes just stay on a sub-atomic bomb level and thats the limit?

#9 Edited by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

In other media, super heroes can be depowered as seen in the Justice League and Justice League Unlimited cartoons where Superman was depowered so more villains can actually fight superman and even the military seems able to take on Superman. In the Avengers movie, they even locked up Thor inside a tin can. Superheroes in comics and cartoons for kids tend to have more power and this is also true of anime like dragonball and sailor moon. Kids tend not to question overpowered super heroes.

#10 Posted by benben178 (163 posts) - - Show Bio

In other media, super heroes can be depowered as seen in the Justice League and Justice League Unlimited cartoons where Superman was depowered so more villains can actually fight superman and even the military seems able to take on Superman. In the Avengers movie, they even locked up Thor inside a tin can.

Yeah JL was one of the greatest superhero cartoons ever, but that is true they had to do it since the antagonist was the government. The thing with thor was pretty retarded.

#11 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (18828 posts) - - Show Bio

...starting?

#12 Edited by vote_dent (14 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by Wolfrazer (7202 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait...superheroes weren't overpowered to begin with?

#14 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

in the Silver Age, a lot were more powerful than they are today, Superheroes fluctuate in terms of power.

#15 Posted by benben178 (163 posts) - - Show Bio

@benben178: arent they suposed to be powerful?

Of course they are but does it make that much sense to have planet busting heroes, thats basically like a god what else you gonna have a galaxy buster. There is only so far you can go.

Wait...superheroes weren't overpowered to begin with?

They don't start out that way but they rise up to that point and then it kinda gets you know. Yippie he destroyed a planet like come on you have to be kidding and the story is till continuing?

in the Silver Age, a lot were more powerful than they are today, Superheroes fluctuate in terms of power.

They did? Can you give me a reference to this or scans?

#16 Edited by Cap10nate (2459 posts) - - Show Bio

It's just a symptom of being around for so long. Once any hero beats a villain, the next villain has to be more powerful and so on and so on or it removes any suspense if they face foes of lessor power than someone they had previously beat.

I liken it to the DBZ show. Goku went from competing in a martial arts tournament on Earth to being able to blow up worlds. After any of the 'sagas,' it would be a joke if they faced any of the prior foes.

#17 Posted by benben178 (163 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7715 posts) - - Show Bio

DC before the New 52 OPed everyone

#19 Edited by vote_dent (14 posts) - - Show Bio

@benben178: it's just because in the silver age writers were experimenting with new concepts and idaes and often made things too extreme. alot of that stuff was phased out for being unpopular or unrealistic or just too weird. for example martian manhunters old sidekick.

#20 Edited by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

The power levels also change from story to story so there is no consistency. Relaunches and reboots can also change the power levels.

#21 Edited by BlackWind (6813 posts) - - Show Bio

So long as heroes face something or someone who can challenge them, it doesn't matter how powerful they are. As long as villains aren't casually backhanded away and situations aren't solved in two minutes, it doesn't bother me.

#22 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

New 52 has made the power levels of many super heroes more equal like what I have suggested for many years. Both Aquaman and Ocean Master now seem like they have a chance of beating Superman. Even rebooted Hawkman now seems powerful enough to beat up Superman. I believe overpowered dc superheroes is less of a problem in new 52.

#23 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

@benben178: I don't think that superman can do that anymore

#24 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

Power levels matter little to me. The writing is more important.

#25 Posted by benben178 (163 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Posted by MSzekeresh (94 posts) - - Show Bio

In the Uncanny X-men they have seriously diminished several characters abilities, making it so Magneto can no longer just do whatever he wants because there is metal practically everywhere in modern society. I'm not sure how I feel about it as a plot device but it's a sign Marvel may be trying to restrict their characters powers a little bit.

Does Superman's hair still weight some ridiculous amount?

#27 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (6111 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, almost every hero if you compare them to their first appearance to now, the current version would destroy the original. Back in the 60s, thing's strength level was 5 tons, now hes a class 100. hulk started out weaker than thor, now hulk is stronger and doing lots of crazy stuff cause he's "so strong". Spiderman used to feel the punches from common thugs and now he doesn't feel them anymore. Superman never had to the ability to fly or move planets but now he does cause hes gained new powers and become more powerful overtime. This is the case for almost every hero cause writers need to make their heroes more appealing so instead of lifting a car, he now lifts 2 cars. and to make the character stronger, they now lift 4 cars. writers dont care alot about maintaining power levels as they do writing a good (at least thats what they think) story.

#28 Edited by TheManInTheShoe (3878 posts) - - Show Bio

Something that I realized is that in every "story" when a new threat arrives it's always the end of the world. In the old days superhero teams like The Avengers battled one supervillain and were overpowered. Can they stop trying to destroy the planet all the time? It's very annoying!

#29 Edited by RumbleMan_Exe (1543 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really , powerful does not mean that writing will be worse. There are too much street levellers

#30 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

Good April Fools thread, OP.

Well done.

#31 Posted by Immortal777 (7682 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't think people read comics primarily because of the characters powers. I read comics for the stories powers to me are like whatever but I guess I've been doing it wrong all these years.

#32 Edited by RedQueen (1171 posts) - - Show Bio

Exactly, and arguably, even in the Golden Age. Back then it was all about the wow factor, they could afford to have Wonder Woman pulling the sun (*insert other examples*).

#33 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

@redqueen: when sis Wonder Woman pull the sun?

#34 Edited by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really , powerful does not mean that writing will be worse. There are too much street levellers

Super powerful characters like superman and flash are harder to write than street levelers. Which is probably why people associate bad writing with powerful characters

#35 Posted by RumbleMan_Exe (1543 posts) - - Show Bio

@eternal19: majestic, supreme, miracleman, solar, lucifer (vertigo), dream (endless), Strange (ditko/busiek era)

all powerful yet they have grand writing with them

#36 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

@rumbleman_exe: Im not saying that powerful characters all have bad writing. Im just saying that they are harder to write than street levelers. Which is why some people think that powerful characters suck

#37 Edited by RumbleMan_Exe (1543 posts) - - Show Bio

@eternal19:

Im just saying that they are harder to write than street levelers.

then hire better writers

#38 Posted by ssbm (92 posts) - - Show Bio

i don't think the problem is them being overpowered progressively but better explanation of their powers take the flash or iceman for example both characters have very "basic" powers one can run fast the other can make ice but when you sit down and really think about what that means the potential for both are practically limitless apart from practice, imagination and removal of his morals iceman in theory should be decimating people freezing there insides, controlling huge bodies of water by strategically freezing parts of it, teleportation and a whole host of other abilities and lets not even start on the green lanterns which are the perfect example of huge power that is solely limited by imagination (and will) they again in theory should be destroying everything in their path with the power of those rings i mean after the removal of the killing ban there is no real limit to there power so as you see the characters have all ways been this string its just as time goes by we can see what there powers really hold