Are There Any Asexual/Aromantic Comic Book Characters?

• 88 results
Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

Hi Everyone.

Does anyone know of any asexual/aromantic comic book characters? As in characters who don't experience romantic or sexual attraction to anyone? I can't seem to find any.

I'm not counting characters who just haven't displayed attraction in their appearances, I mean ones who have specifically been identified as asexual/aromantic.

Scarlotte.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SC  Moderator

Shatterstar was intended and written as such pre PAD, and Daken has been reasoned as this as well, but only by writers that I can remember.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Rorschach came across as such.

blackwolf0925

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By blackwolf0925

Orochimaru.

No Caption Provided

That guy will be a women if he has to. All for the sake of learning every technique in the world.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@SC said:

Shatterstar was intended and written as such pre PAD, and Daken has been reasoned as this as well, but only by writers that I can remember.

Oh. I thought I'd heard that Shatterstar was gay, and that Daken was bisexual.

That's just what I've heard though. I don't think I've read anything that includes either of them.

@blackwolf0925: I didn't really mean manga. Does he specifically identify as asexual/aromantic(double-A) though?

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SC  Moderator

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

That's just what I've heard though. I don't think I've read anything that includes either of them.

Peter David writers Shatterstar as a being that of a person starting to explore their sexuality and still being open, but since he is in a relationship with Rictor he could be viewed as gay or bisexual.

Marjorie Liu writes Daken as always having an agenda, with everything including sexuality, even his own sexuality, and that most labels wouldn't be sufficient for him. I use to think that meant he wouldn't fit as asexual either but apparently later on one of his writers asserted that is how they view him. Hope that helps.

Oops, meant to include pre PAD writers wrote Shatterstar as Asexual, and some like co-creator Liefeld, still insist he is asexual.. like a Greek Gladiator... uh...

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@SC said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

Peter David writers Shatterstar as a being that of a person starting to explore their sexuality and still being open, but since he is in a relationship with Rictor he could be viewed as gay or bisexual.

Marjorie Liu writes Daken as always having an agenda, with everything including sexuality, even his own sexuality, and that most labels wouldn't be sufficient for him. I use to think that meant he wouldn't fit as asexual either but apparently later on one of his writers asserted that is how they view him. Hope that helps.

Oops, meant to include pre PAD writers wrote Shatterstar as Asexual, and some like co-creator Liefeld, still insist he is asexual.. like a Greek Gladiator... uh...

I won't count Shatterstar then. I'll look into Daken.

What's PAD by the way?

blackwolf0925

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By blackwolf0925

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: I would say so. He more devoted to learning all that he can. As an antagonist he is cruel in his ways, using anything and anybody he can to accomplish his goals. Though if you were to look at it with a critical point of view the author of the series likes hint at some homoerotic tones.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@blackwolf0925 said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: I would say so. He more devoted to learning all that he can. As an antagonist he is cruel in his ways, using anything and anybody he can to accomplish his goals. Though if you were to look at it with a critical point of view the author of the series likes hint at some homoerotic tones.

Has he specifically said that he doesn't experience any attraction towards anyone?

I'm looking for examples of characters that definitely are asexual or aromantic, not ones who seem like they might be.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SC  Moderator

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: Oops sorry Peter David.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Avatar image for markus_langbourn
Markus_Langbourn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Markus_Langbourn

Joker, Sublime, Galactus

Med

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Med

i believe Daken was. he used sex as a tool and a weapon but never felt any romantic or sexual urges.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@fesak: Thanks for the link, I'll have a look.

This doesn't count as a duplicate thread though does it? I'm talking about aromantics as well as asexuals, so it's different.

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

@JediXMan said:

This.

Rorschach was completely asexual and hated anything sexual in nature (most likely from his mother's occupation). He expressed it throughout the graphic novel/film a lot as well, and called Silk Spectre (I & II) "sluts".

@fesak said:

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/gen-discussion/1/asexual-comic-characters/645648/

And also Spongebob

This as well. It as been done before, so it should probably be locked.

And you do know SpongeBob's sexuality is heavily arguable xD

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek: I'll look into Rorschach.

My thread is about aromantics as well as asexuals. They're different things.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#17  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

@JediXMan said:

This.

Rorschach was completely asexual and hated anything sexual in nature (most likely from his mother's occupation). He expressed it throughout the graphic novel/film a lot as well, and called Silk Spectre (I & II) "sluts".

I was going to mention Dr. Manhattan, but he wasn't - not really. He just lacked emotion. But it seemed that he did have a thing for Silk Spectre II and... that girl whose name escapes me. The one who he was dating, then left, and ended up having cancer.

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

@JediXMan said:

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

@JediXMan said:

This.

I was going to mention Dr. Manhattan, but he wasn't - not really. He just lacked emotion. But it seemed that he did have a thing for Silk Spectre II and... that girl whose name escapes me. The one who he was dating, then left, and ended up having cancer.

Yeah Dr.Manhattan just heavily lacks emotions (he even had their picture on the moon).

In fact Ozymandias even said he has small facial twitches that indicated emotions, that only a mind of his intellect would notice. He even screamed at the forecasters after the cancer accusations, so yeah Manhattan isn't fully asexual/aromantic; he just has his emotions bottled up.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JonSmith

Alfred.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@JonSmith said:

Alfred.

How so?

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JonSmith

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

Alfred.

How so?

His interest is in his work. Nothing more.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@JonSmith said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

Alfred.

How so?

Has he ever stated that he doesn't experience any attraction though?

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By JonSmith

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

Has he ever stated that he doesn't experience any attraction though?

I'm not going to say he has, in fact I'll leave it open to someone to prove me wrong, but in my experience, he does seem to be solely interested in his work with Batman.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@JonSmith: He might just be abstinent, but double-A could be possible.

I'm trying to find definite cases, rather than ones that seem like they could be, but it's seems to be difficult to find. I think a panel with a character stating that they don't experience attraction would be the only way to confirm it, so if anyone has an example of that, that'd be handy. :)

Edited: If the character is from a race that are all aromantic or asexual anyway, that's not what I'm looking for.

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 41

@JediXMan:

I always thought Rorschach was homosexual. Look at his admiration for The Comedian, or Nite Owl.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Guardiandevil83

Carnage

Joker

Daken

Overtkill

Maybe more.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@Guardiandevil83:Do you have any scans or quotes that show this?

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#28  Edited By Teerack
No Caption Provided
Gargan meets his new best friend by Terry Dodson
Gargan meets his new best friend by Terry Dodson
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@Teerack: Are you referring to asexual reproduction? If so, that's not what I'm looking for.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Teerack

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: You realize everything that reproduces asexually is asexual and usually aromatic...

With the exception of a hand full of robots.

Batnandez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Batnandez

@JonSmith said:

Alfred.

Who do you think taught Bruce how to pick up girls? It wasn't Thomas Wayne.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@Teerack:I know, but that's because it's what their species is like. I'm looking for a character whos' species doesn't reproduce asexually, like humans, but happens to be asexual and aromantic.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Teerack

@JonSmith: Wrong. Alfred has a few girls he wishes he had ended up with and there are issues about him and Kathrine.

Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By Inverno

Joker... But I am not really certain. He is in relationship with Harley but I doubt they had sex. They certainly did in Arkham Series games though... He comes across as more of Bat-sexual than anything else.

Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Crash_Recovery

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: Robots...just...robots.

SuperSlayin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SuperSlayin

No.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By KnightRise

@JonSmith said:

Alfred.

Pffft, Alfred runs through different women more than...well, a genius billionaire playboy philantropist

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do robots count?since many do not share human emotions and feeling and obviously don't share out biology.

@CaioTrubat said:

Joker... But I am not really certain. He is in relationship with Harley but I doubt they had sex. They certainly did in Arkham Series games though... He comes across as more of Bat-sexual than anything else.

I don't know if he is asexual.I mean I don't think he has sexual feelings towards Batman so maybe he is asexual.

Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By Inverno

@mrdecepticonleader: Well, some people choose to interpret it sexually, but sometimes the writers like to portray Joker as having a thing for Batman, not just merely obsession as a arch-enemy.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CaioTrubat said:

@mrdecepticonleader: Well, some people choose to interpret it sexually, but sometimes the writers like to portray Joker as having a thing for Batman, not just merely obsession as a arch-enemy.

Yeah that's true

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#41  Edited By joshmightbe

Ultron

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Guardiandevil83

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@Guardiandevil83:Do you have any scans or quotes that show this?

Sorry for the late response. Work and the gym came knocking. Um no scans but I can try and be as descriptive as I can in my reasoning.

Carnage: When we are first introduced to Kletus. He is a sadistic killer whom is responsible for many disgusting crimes and who is on his way to death row. After merging with the Symbiote, he only comes into contact with one woman who can even remotely be referred to as a romantic link. And that is the villianess Shriek. And though he has referred to her as ''the missus" or ''the wife." and the ''Mother" to their merry band of killers, they never, ever are romanticly driven to one another.

Afterwards he goes on to wreck havok until he is placed in the raft and later killed by Sentry until his recent return. He has never shown romantic interest to either men or women. Had it not been for the Symbiotes ability to spawn asexually, (atleast we know the suit is) Carnage would have no need for his ''children". He loves nothing but murder and mayhem.

Joker: Joker loves himself and nothing more. I believe he sleeps with Harley in order to keep her in line for when he needs her, boredom, and to appease his own ego. Joker has been shown flirting with men as well (Batman for instance) but he has no romantic interest in either since he seems to hold no emotional, sentimental attachments to anyone he knows. Everyone is expendable in order to make the joke work.

Daken: Also an ego maniac. Daken does what he does because he feels that he can, and really dosent care all together in the end. He enjoys having power over others. Throwing Bullseye off his game by tounging him down after an argument, is just an example. He say's that he feels nothing. And has shown that he truely does not feel love. Romance to either sexes, is not in his agenda.

Judge Joseph Dread: There is no love but the streets. He barely sleeps eight hours and eats enough to stay strong. He's never been seen with a romantic interest since his debut. To dread, a wife or husband would just be a distraction to the job.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@Guardiandevil83: I think these are possibilities then, but unless they've actually said that they're not interested, I can't be completely sure. Thanks for the details.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SC  Moderator

I can't help but feel that many people are misunderstanding what the type of asexuality asked for here is? Naturally I could be mistaken too heh heh, but just to throw out there, dedication to some other interest, lifestyle or lack of depiction of sexual interest or characters just having potential repression issues so on. Robots I would think are sort of a bit iffy too, I mean is Ultron a vegan now because he doesn't eat meat? I mean sort of but yeah... Oh and asexual people can have sex, and relationships, just that chances are they would probably be doing sexual stuff for other reasons than satisfying their sexual desires (more accurately lack of sexual desires)

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@SC said:

I can't help but feel that many people are misunderstanding what the type of asexuality asked for here is? Naturally I could be mistaken too heh heh, but just to throw out there, dedication to some other interest, lifestyle or lack of depiction of sexual interest or characters just having potential repression issues so on. Robots I would think are sort of a bit iffy too, I mean is Ultron a vegan now because he doesn't eat meat? I mean sort of but yeah... Oh and asexual people can have sex, and relationships, just that chances are they would probably be doing sexual stuff for other reasons than satisfying their sexual desires (more accurately lack of sexual desires)

I think you get it.

If it makes it clearer. I'm looking for characters who have specifically stated, and displayed, that they don't feel romantic or sexual attraction to anyone at all. If they are from a species that generally doesn't experience them anyway, like robots and certain aliens, that's not what I'm looking for.

I'm being picky about needing them to have said it themselves, as just basing an idea of them being aromantic or asexual on their actions doesn't necessarily work, as we don't necessarily know their reasons behind said actions.

Zdaybreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#46  Edited By Zdaybreak

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: Pretty sure Galacticus is asexual. He gave birth to his own daughter and I don't think that he has any known sexuality.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@Shotgun:It's not asexual reproduction I'm looking for, and if he's asexual, as in as a sexuality, because his species are all like that, that's not what I'm looking for either.

Zdaybreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#48  Edited By Zdaybreak

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: You mind me asking why you're so interested in asexuals?

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: You mind me asking why you're so interested in asexuals?

I've see threads about other minority characters, which have had examples, and I just thought I'd see if I could find any asexual or aromantic characters.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#50  Edited By judasnixon

I don't think there is a Paula Poundstone like asexual character. Pual Poundstone is the only famous asexual that I know, and I wouldn't even call her famous......