Are the feats in the DC Comics stupid? (Flash-Rant)

• 109 results
Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#101  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@Timandm said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

Yea because half the stuff that Thor does isn't stupid at all....

Well... technically... If half of the stuff Thor does IS stupid, then, it's true... Half of it isn't.... :-)

How am I meant to argue with you if your just going to be logical about this..... :-P

Avatar image for supremehyperion
SupremeHyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#102  Edited By SupremeHyperion

one thing with Marvel thought is their crazy limitless characters seem to have a place and rarely jump into mainstream activities. Like cosmic entities tend to stay cosmic. while ya there are some pretty crazy feats that Marvel has DC by far pushes the limit.

I think it hurts their stories too, with the whole oh did you know batman had this, or wait superman has this power too, or Flash is so fast he can do whatever he want's

I think both are guilty but DC does push the envelope.

Ps in saying this I still believe Franklin Richards is the dumbest idea in comics, probably the most overdone character in the world of worlds.

nickthedevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#103  Edited By nickthedevil

Ever notice how their villains can match their heroes? Even with all these powers, relative to their own universe and problems, it's not much help.

That being said, better heroes calls for better villains too.

The reason DC is usually better with their characters.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#104  Edited By SC  Moderator

Eh uhm hopefully someone else has already brought it up but why does the person doing the math in the OP's picture neglect that Flash did what he did in 13:57 AND .00001 microseconds later. Not .00001 microseconds later. You know... just the power of irony. Unless I am missing something? In which case the irony is at me. Right Alanis Morissette?  

Also why do people address things be bringing up other examples? With those examples being crazy unlikely but statistically realms away as far as having any meaning. I mean when a person wins a 300 million dollar lottery, which is a very unlikely things to happen, do people say woah thats crazy man, thats like winning 3000 billion lotteries every single second. Or do people say, woah, freaky, but hey, Jeff won a 2 dollar lottery last week. If a persons suspension of belief is limited to reality and not reality then seriously we need to start wrapping everyone in bubble wrap, no yes everyone including the penguins and people already made out of bubble wrap. Actually you know what? There is something called reality. Having a comic character rip a phone book in half, well you know, that is pretty crazy. Not every real life person can do that. Its not literally impossible though. If a fictional character is written to be as strong as a really strong real life person then that character ripping a phone book in half would actually be pretty accurate demonstration and reflect reality pretty reasonably. There is only really like a one percent difference between a human and a chimp DNA wise. Look at that difference as far as what we have accomplished compared to them? Imagine another species thats one percent different to us but in the "opposite" direction from chimps so in our new scenario we are the chimps? Could be your average Asgardian? As crazy as that sounds its not as impossible as say a character going billions of times faster than the speed of light under their own internal power. Maybe for some just the virtue of neither being likely to happen is enough but can I appeal to people to care about numbers and probabilities just a tiny bit more? A fraction? Its a technology thing, a human advancement thing. If we viewed the odds and likelihood of getting to the moon as the same as to the opposite side of the Universe we would have never gotten to the moon.  

That being said if your a person whose wish to have immersion in comics and not be distracted by writers disregard for providing semi legitimate sounding character actions, then you might be better off in this day and age selecting books by a writer to writer basis, since for the last couple of years/decades its less and less of a company thing and more of a writer thing. some writers pseudo science is better than others. Character matters as well. Since lots of certain characters have certain fan bases that would rather see fantastic unbelievable unrealistic stuff from their favorite characters because it means to them their character is superior and it helps validate them emotionally and psychologically. I mean that with no snark, since hey? I freaking love when certain of my favorite characters fly through planets and fight giant humanoid dudes that existed before the Universe happened. It makes me warm inside. Thats not the only thing that makes me warm. I actually get warm when certain characters do that, but certain writers actually try to give explanation why that character could maybe do that - even if its relying on making up stuff exploiting what we don't currently know in actual reality. Each example is different to me. Each example is therefore received by me differently. Thor having extra dense body? Uhm... decent attempt... by itself its sort of weak, since doesn't really explain all that he can do just by the density thing alone. Especially in contrast with the rest of his people. Go the genetics route and slap on lines about how his genes are super advanced to such an extent we can't understand them yet but maybe if we did then we could... blah blah. Such things tend to bother me more when they are inconsistent. In the given Flash example, if Flash was that fast and that fast without damaging anyone, then about 90 percent of the times I have seen Flash beaten or neutralized Flash shouldn't have been and not just that, if he can do that, then the DC Earths population should be exponentially increasing given how many people should be being saved constantly by Flash constantly. So for me personally that specific example is a bit too gratuitous. Then again I actually liked thinking about all the numbers and consequences involved with that. Some people probably don't care. They have money too. So really the feat is relatively stupid. Just like most of them are. A rough general rule though is to consider a lot of the more popular DC characters are popular and have fan bases from being wish fulfillment, larger than life, fantastical figures. A super man, a super woman, the lord of the sea, the lord of speed, and the last of the martians. Writers will have a tendency to try and promote the awe that each of those characters have as its a defining aspect of the character. This means more objective feats and demonstrations than say a team full of characters where one guys gimmick is that he embodies America (and in that context when you compare the guy who went from fighting Hitler to knocking out some of Thor's older but at the time night invulnerable characters...) Now see thats a subjective feat/demonstration. Old Thor could lift buildings but then struggle against old Fafnir. Captain America can't lift buildings (now or in the past) but he can beat Fafnir? Fafnir is a fictional character that doesn't have the same reality consistency with a building. Granted statically speaking its still not as out there as traveling billions of times the speed of light... but.. oh and who were the other Avengers?  Arrow guy... dude in armor. Oh actually you know someone in Marvel who can throw down with Flash as far as WTF really really? Antman. Cube-square law bro.    

Okay I am bored of myself now and I hope I bored you too, I am going to finish mid post to go play at the Gold Saucer in Final Fantasy 7. If anyone is still reading this I suggest you reevaluate your life decisions regarding how you spend your money in weekends. You know your habit isn't healthy. Peace.      

Malevolent1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Malevolent1

Well...it's all baloney at the end of the day. One thing is for sure though: DC is not afraid to showcase their character's powers. They are unbelievably loyal to their characters, especially Superman. Superman may not be the most powerful superhero in DC, but he is certainly considered DC's top dog. It's funny because Marvel, thanks to Stan Lee, really tried to inject a smidge of realism into the fantasy. Human Torch could fly because being on fire made him lighter than air. Hulk simulated flight by leaping with enormously powerful legs. Thor swung a mystical hammer, using it's momentum to pull him along. I think DC realized some of their stuff was a little cornball:

No Caption Provided

But it didn't take them long to catch on. They ushered in a new era of greatness when they brought John Byrne over from Marvel (one of THE alltime greats of comics, and one of my personal favorites!). Superman was quickly brought down to more "believable" levels and won, although dying (temporarily), after his fight with Doomsday. Anyhow, I digress. I don't have a problem with Flash's feat above. It's AWESOME and underscores what the author was trying to get across: The Flash is beyond fast. Batman is the ULTIMATE detective and planner, one the DC universes all time great H2H combatants. If anything, Marvel could use a lesson from DC comics and that is: LOYALTY to their characters.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tomofukuoka said:

Worse than Flash you have

Dr Strange classic

The Silver Surfer

Wanda Scarlet Witch

Jareth the Goblin King

Neo inside Matrix

Peter Petrelli

The Mask

Alien X

Captain Universe

Silverage Superman

Dr Doom, Adam West Bats, Dr Who, Star Trek scientists and 'neccessary plot device gizmo' card

No Caption Provided

BESbswyBESbswyBESbswyBESbswyBESbswyBESbswyBESbswyBESbswy

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

This again??
This again??