Are Superman and the Hulk on the same level with one another?

Blue Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By Blue Son

THIS IS NOT A BATTLE THREAD SO PLEASE DON'T MOVE INTO THE BATTLE FORUM AS ONE, AND PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND WITH WHO WILL BEAT UP WHO...PLEASE READ FIRST BEFORE RESPONDING...THANK YOU KINDLY. 

Now with that said...on with my blog...  

Superman and the Incredible Hulk...Man of Steel of DC and the Strongest there is of Marvel... 

One is 30 years the senior of the other, but both of them have had their share of television shows, cartoons, movies, toys, comic books and made millions possibly billions for their respective brands as well as gone through their fair share of changes. One has died and one was exiled. Both are capable of immense strength and power but if you look at their lives polar opposites of each other. Superman an alien from distant doomed planet sent to Earth by his parents and raised by a loving religious family of the Kents to grow up to be the Man of Steel who fights for Truth, Justice, and the American Way. The Hulk a.k.a Bruce Banner was born in an abuse home to a very abuse father who terrorized him and his mother, grew up to become one of the smartest minds in the Marvel Universe, is for all intents and purposes an atheist and a man of science who through twist of fate become one of the most powerful mortals in the Marvel Universe.  

Superman is a hero proven through and through; he wears his red, blue and yellow with pride and springs into action from saving the world from imminent danger to saving a cat in a tree. 

The Hulk is the reluctant hero, most of his years he's been at odds with himself he too has saved the world from imminent danger, but he as also be portrayed as the monster or threat that needs to be put down. Constantly hounded and mostly on the run. 

Both men are founders of two of the greatest super teams in both Marvel and DC.

Both men have families...both men have women that they are very much in love with.

In the recent years it appears as if they both have switched roles. Banner has come to accept his role as the Incredible Hulk through the events of Fall of the Hulks and World War Hulks, while Superman is at odds with what he stands for anymore during the storyline Grounded which is the aftermath of the the War of the Supermen with the destruction of New Krypton. 

Through the years there has been many an argument on stoops, comic books stores, in chat rooms, forums, and events like Comicon as to who is the strongest.

Well this is not what this thread about...instead is it fair to say that after years of debate these two franchises of the big two are actually on common ground?

Well let's see the tail of the tape:

Intelligence - Both are extremely intelligent although it can be argued that Banner maybe smarter than the Man of Steel. 

Strength - A disputed argument that will never end, Superman draws his massive strength from the years he's soaked in Earth's Yellow Sun, while the Gamma powered Hulk's strength increases through his rage as well as the ability to draw from other sources of energy at times. Both have executed unbelievable feats of strength that have baffled the mind and have gotten stronger over the years. 

Endurance - Both men are virtually bullet proof, have survived point blank nuclear class explosions and worst.  

Healing Factor - Both can be injured but also heal at a quickly alarming rate.  

Speed - Superman owns this department, his speed is second to the Flash's but the Jade Giant though not as fast is no slouch either as he's been able to connect with some extremely fast opponents. 

Extra Sensory Abilities - Superman has the Hulk beat here too, aside from his sonic boom thunder clap (which Superman can do as well) he doesn't have x-ray, or heat vision, ice breath, or sonic hearing. 

Leaping versus Flight - The Man of Steel definitely rules the skies here, in fact a lot of his extraordinary feats he is famous for are because of his ability to fly from flying one end of the galaxy to the next to pulling and pushing planets. The Hulk has the ability to leap his way into orbit which has done on a couple of occasions; he has covered continents just by jumping. I began to wonder if this is the only thing that separates the two I've been keeping up with Young Justice and noticed that Superboy who is unable to fly has used the Hulk transportation of leaping to get around. Superman was also know for leaping buildings with a single bound before writers thought it was easier just to allow him to fly.  

Weaknesses – The Man of Steel is still susceptible to Kryptonite although he has built up some resistance to it over the years. Various forms interact with him in different ways, and he’s still susceptible to magic.  Red Sun is also his weakness, under it too long becomes just a regular human drained of his power. The Hulk’s weakness to date has been adamantium; his skin has been cut by it on various occasions although it’s not really a factor considering his healing factor is on par with Wolverine. And the angrier he gets the most resistant to cutting he becomes, he once destroyed a mechanical Dog of War with the ability to crush Adamantium in less than eight seconds. Hulk's other weakness was himself as he constantly fought at odds with Banner for control. Recently they have come to an accord to work as one making an even stronger Hulk, how long that will last we're not sure, but as a fan I hope for a very long time.

The age old battle of who can beat who will probably never end...it may go on till the end of time and probably beyond if there is a beyond, but is there a possibility for a consensus that these two franchises are on equal footing and deserving of equal respect? I don't expect the fanboys or girls to be crossing the lines anytime soon, but how about a head nod? What do you think? 

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

In no way are Superman and Hulk comparable.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator
@JediXMan said:
" In no way are Superman and Hulk comparable. "
They are both strong. Also, neither one of them can hold my interest very long. ;)
JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
@jloneblackheart: 

I meant comparable in the sense that they are in no way on the same level - that the fight would be EXTREMELY unfair.

I agree with the latter.
RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#4  Edited By RazzaTazz

It reminds me of a question that I saw Stan Lee answer once.  What is stronger, Silver Surfer's board or Captain America's shield.  Stan Lee's answer - would you want to ride Captain America's shield through a star.  So I would say Superman would take it on durability.  Superman can fly to the center of a sun and only lose his cape.  I am not sure if the Hulk would come out unscathed.        

Avatar image for _1elderscrollsfan
#1ElderScrollsFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By #1ElderScrollsFan
nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By nefarious

No, they are not comparable.

Valtot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Valtot
@Blue Son:
They have small things they share such as there both batteries with superman feeding of solar radiation and hulk feeding of gamma radiation which im pretty sure the sun also generates, both have there powers based on emotions with supermans solar absorption/generation/usage depending on his emotions which is also the case for the hulk, they both can raise in power levels anytime really with hulk with anger thanks to his emotions/adreneline and superman with his solar absorption. But if your going into there history and personality not really anything the same there
PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By PowerHerc

I would respectfully say no they aren't on the same level. 

Superman is far more powerful overall.  He has far more powers and the ones they share he has in greater abundance.   
Superman is Stronger, imo, though this is the only area where the two can even begin to be compared. 

Popularity, recognizability, marketability, importance to his publisher and prominence within his comic universe are all categoeries that favor Superman.   

I can't think of one major area where the Hulk matches or surpasses Superman, so I say they aren't on the same level on any level. 
SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#9  Edited By SC  Moderator

Yes, they are on the same level, both are walking, talking deus ex machina characters who are popular enough to get very favorable treatment within there respective universes, Hulk has a particular strong gimmick, one that has hooked a large number of readers into reading claims of being the strongest there is as literal truth, Superman is a bit more deeper in a similar generalized term, away from the misunderstood monster plot, and I would say he is a lot more popular in the mainstream, and he has been an icon for a lot longer, and in the eyes of more people. I respect both, but also consider both characters pretty lucky, and by extension fans of these characters. Its a good thing i am a minor fan of both. lol

Avatar image for xavier_st__cloud
Xavier St. Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Xavier St. Cloud

No. Imo. No. Superman>Hulk in a lot of ways.
Valtot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Valtot

well technically superman is better than hulk at basically everything except getting angry but there powers both have similiar ways of functioning since there both batteries
ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ssejllenrad
@#1ElderScrollsFan said:
" "

Hehe!
TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By TheGoldenOne

I don't think they are

Avatar image for deadpoolvironfist
DeadpoolvIronFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@jloneblackheart said:
" @JediXMan said:
" In no way are Superman and Hulk comparable. "
They are both strong. Also, neither one of them can hold my interest very long. ;) "
Mekboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By Mekboy

I think Superman is a lot more superior but the Hulk is always underrated.

SentryVoid616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By SentryVoid616

@Blue Son:

Well Done sir! i would like to say how much i respect you for a post such as yours, it takes courage to place these two characters together as you have, but it saddens me that despite the amazing points you made in your article/post, many of the replies it got, completely dismissed your argument without getting the point for example (See quote, no offense JediXMan you may have got the point but you didnt show it!) again well done!

@JediXMan said:

"In no way are Superman and Hulk comparable. "