Are reader/creators more accepting of lesbians than gay men?

sockman19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By sockman19

What do you think?

It seems that in most fiction (not just comics) creators are more inclined to include lesbian relationships than gay male relationships, and the fans become more interested in/excited for lesbian relationships.

Is this true of you? Why or why not?

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By goonage

Really? Because I can think of way more Male homosexual characters than female ones.

(Statistically, it probably also makes more sense).

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

well im not of them , if the story is good and the character(s) is/are awesome then i could care less who the are romatically linked to . and as in real life and straight people/characters i skip over the lovey dovey parts anyways .

top 3 gay couples that i like for one reason or another:

1. northstar and his husband kyle-

2. hulkling and wiccan

3. apollol and midnighter

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I think society in general is more accepting of gay women than gay men. I could be wrong though.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

I do get the impression that writers and readers are more accepting of lesbian relationships than gay male relationships. Though that is something that is difficult to really prove one way or the other, because there are plenty of counter examples.

HOWEVER, I think a much more interesting and debatable issue is the tendency of writers to portray female characters' sexualities as much more fluid than male characters. It seems much more likely in comics and television to see a woman who has been in relationships with both men and women than it is to find a man who has displayed an interest in both sexes.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think they're more accepting at all. I mean being gay for men or woman period is looked down upon in this world. I don't think you will see it that much because I think sales would take a dip. Making a gay character is a risk lets face it, because it is looked so down upon in our society. Example say another creative team took over Batman and made him gay I'm pretty sure you would see his sales drop tremendously.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with what the guy right above me said

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

Possibly, but is that really suprising? Most creators are male.

Avatar image for greatcaesarsghost
GreatCaesarsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think society in general is more accepting of gay women than gay men. I could be wrong though.

This

However, in comics, there's more Male gay characters than Female, I believe.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

@greatcaesarsghost: I'll take your word for it for now. I haven't done actual research, but Marvel and DC both seem to have significantly more male characters than female, so it seems possible, just out of averages.

I wonder which sex has more famous/higher profile gay characters though. I'd maybe say female for that, but I could be wrong, not having researched it. Just a hunch.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm going with scenes depicting women in sexual situations as being more acceptable. Think of harems, and the hero being in bed amongst the lovelies, and the lovelies are keeping themselves occupied, etc, etc,. This is standard fare in media. Nothing new. Lesbian sex is considered really, really hot for lots of heterosexuals, although yaoi (boys love) is coming up fast.

It's a bit of a double standard, but I think it's changing. Somewhat.

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 559

Can only think of maggie Sawyer & Batwoman in a relationship atm and Bunker from Teen Titans being gay.