Are people starting to get fed up with superhero films?

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Bezza

So Iron Man 3 did monumentally well at the Box Office, but MOS has taken "only" 660 million dollars, which isn't exactly epic for arguably the most famous superhero of them all and Wolverine is on about 363 million, meaning it hasn't yet surpassed the four year old total for the rather poor "origins" film. So, do you think perhaps there is an element of super hero film fatigue amongst the general populus now?

Xaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

People will get bored of bad movie before they will get bored of super hero ones. Hollywood suffer from the financial crisis on so much level it's not funny anymore.

Producer look for bankable franchise begore anything else, thus, they don't care over other artistic factors that make a movie a good movie. Yet, they expect that profit and art follow an equation similar as other product : Cellphone, cars, and other stuff like that. They believe you can male a movie and get cash, without taking risk, It doesn't really work that way and so, the overall quality of their products suffer from it.

So, when ones has got fed about the nth superhero movie that is poorly done, yes, he will get away. But the same principlme work with any style of movie, action, chick flick, drama or whatever.

SNascimento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SNascimento

No.

And Man of Steel did best than pretty much all other Superman films, I guess only the first made more money (considering inflation). Not to mention it was an origin film, don't know how many other made that kind of money.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Nope. I do think X-Men should stay away from solo mutant movies though. It just doesn't work. Its a team based franchise.

If anything, I think people want more Superhero movies. You said "only" 660 million...but that's still top 10 for box office this year no? The fact is, over the past 5 years, Super hero movies are the only genre which consistently makes bank. Sure, some of them fail. But overall...they all make hundreds of millions of dollars.

mikex20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Iron Man 3 is the biggest money maker of the year, earning over $1 billion in the box office worldwide. So if anything, superhero movies are the most popular thing in theaters right now.

SirDerp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im not getting fed up with super hero movies, keep em coming!

Iron man 3 was freaking amazing for me, I didn't care about the mandarin twist, I loved the mark 42.

Man of steel... Hmmmm I use to hate super man, but I like him more now. I could say that he is awesome, but I still like bat man better, good movie though =P definately changed my attitude about supes

Now my favorite list of movies that are coming out are

1.Amazing spider man 2

2.Captain america 2: The winter soldier

3.Avengers 2:Age of ultron

4.Guardians of the Galaxy

5.Thor 2: Dark world.

:D

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope

Man of Steel is the first part of a film series, they don't tend to do as well as the sequels; just compare the numbers on Batman Begins vs the two sequels.

Wolverine has probably made less money because the last two films (X3 and Wolverine origins) about him were utter garbage and people are just tired of the character. And it seems to me the X-Men franchise isn't a big money maker anymore considering First Class only made 350 million worldwide.

Avengers II and Superman/Batman are going to make a crapton of money. And if WB ever makes Justice League, that'll make bank, too.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

#9  Edited By Extremis

I think about this sometimes. Obviously I won't get sick of them lol or comic fans. There's even a fair amount of casual fanboys and fangirls out there who love superhero movies and those cinematic universes yet never read comics.

I do know some people who are like "when is this superhero fad going to end?". which kind of annoys me because its not a fad, its just the evolution of these already popular and established characters. It's also the realization of comic publishers that there is a clamoring for comic book movies from fans and that these types of films can continue to get money. Superhero films are really their own genre now.

Lets not forget how good of a time it is to be a comic fan, to get these films and for nerd culture to be celebrated (as opposed to ignored). Even if some of us have out complaints about these films, I still think its amazing that studios like Marvel can now compete with any major studio. It's crazy that huge celebrities and all types of talented people are finding careers in this realm of filmmaking. It's a great day to be a comic book nerd :)

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I think there will be a superhero movie fatigue from the general public over the next couple years. There are just so many coming out. As a fan, I am very excited, but those who don't care as much might get fed up. Especially if there are one or two bad ones in a row. Here are some of the Superhero and similar type films that would have the same target audience being released over the next couple years. It's a lot. Found all these from Movieinsider.com.

• Thor - November 8
  • Hunger Games - November 22
  • Hobbit - December 13

• Robocop - February 7
  • 300 Rise of an Empire - March 7
  • Captain America - April 4
  • Spider Man - May 2
  • Godzilla - May 16
  • X-Men - May 23
  • Transformers - June 27
  • Planet of the Apes - July 18
  • Hercules - July 25
  • GOTG - August 1
  • Ninja Turtles - August 8
  • Sin City - August 22
  • Resident Evil - September 12
  • Hunger Games - November 21
  • Hobbit - December 17

• Fantastic Four - March 6
  • Avengers - May 1
  • Jurassic World - June 12
  • Assassins Creed - June 19
  • Terminator - June 26
  • Independence Day - July 3
  • Batman Superman - July 17
  • Ant-Man - July 31
  • Bond - November 6
  • Hunger Games - November 20
Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the people who complain don't have to go see them. There are plenty of non-superhero films coming out

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Unlikely, even if for some odd reason all superhero movies start sucking, people still still see them due to name recognition.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rogueshadow  Moderator

Short answer:

No.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No if there was one every month then maybe but right now the big named movies sell quite well

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Some critics are clearly getting tired (see MoS reviews). But I'm tired of the critics. That's why I've finally swapped out Rotten Tomatoes for IMDb.

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

Some critics are clearly getting tired (see MoS reviews). But I'm tired of the critics. That's why I've finally swapped out Rotten Tomatoes for IMDb.

Rotten Tomatoes has some very bitter, bias, and irrational reviewers. They're too nostalgic to try something new and constantly bash on a film because it isn't like it's previous counterpart (when it comes to superhero films at least). Exactly like you said, in Man of Steel, all the reviewers said it wasn't as good as the original Superman flick back in the 70's, while some said it was worse than Return of Superman. They simply don't adjust to change, and as history states evolution always win.

They'll die out sooner or later, or at the very least drown in their own ignorance.

Avatar image for deactivated-627010180bd2d
deactivated-627010180bd2d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am, sorry but I am.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

I think there will be a superhero movie fatigue from the general public over the next couple years. There are just so many coming out. As a fan, I am very excited, but those who don't care as much might get fed up. Especially if there are one or two bad ones in a row. Here are some of the Superhero and similar type films that would have the same target audience being released over the next couple years. It's a lot. Found all these from Movieinsider.com.

• Thor - November 8
  • Hunger Games - November 22
  • Hobbit - December 13

• Robocop - February 7
  • 300 Rise of an Empire - March 7
  • Captain America - April 4
  • Spider Man - May 2
  • Godzilla - May 16
  • X-Men - May 23
  • Transformers - June 27
  • Planet of the Apes - July 18
  • Hercules - July 25
  • GOTG - August 1
  • Ninja Turtles - August 8
  • Sin City - August 22
  • Resident Evil - September 12
  • Hunger Games - November 21
  • Hobbit - December 17

• Fantastic Four - March 6
  • Avengers - May 1
  • Jurassic World - June 12
  • Assassins Creed - June 19
  • Terminator - June 26
  • Independence Day - July 3
  • Batman Superman - July 17
  • Ant-Man - July 31
  • Bond - November 6
  • Hunger Games - November 20

...The Hunger Games, James Bond, The Hobbit, Planet of the Apes, Jurassic World, Independence Day, Transformers, Godzilla, and Resident Evil all fall into the 'similar type' category? That's a bit of a stretch.

I'm not fed up with superhero movies at all. In fact, The Avengers was what actually got me interested in the genre- more so even than reading comics. While I'm not generally an optimist, I think things are looking up for superhero movies.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Wolverine008

@rdclip said:

Nope

Man of Steel is the first part of a film series, they don't tend to do as well as the sequels; just compare the numbers on Batman Begins vs the two sequels.

Wolverine has probably made less money because the last two films (X3 and Wolverine origins) about him were utter garbage and people are just tired of the character. And it seems to me the X-Men franchise isn't a big money maker anymore considering First Class only made 350 million worldwide.

Avengers II and Superman/Batman are going to make a crapton of money. And if WB ever makes Justice League, that'll make bank, too.

I agree with most of your points, but saying the Wolverine mad less money because people are "tired" of Wolverine is ridiculous. Batman and Superman both have more movies than Wolverine, and are still blowing out the box office each time they step up to the plate.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I do wonder if people are getting more selective. That list of 2014 and 2015 shows an over-satuation of comic book type stuff. Iron Man 3 did awesomely well because people love DHJ as Stark and the Avengers and previous Iron Man films had built up the character. MOS had mixed reviews and sadly the Superman character had been under-utilised on screen for a generation so people haven't flocked to see it. And yes I don't rate 660 million as particularly great when its less than any of the Spiderman films managed and less than the Amazing Spiderman did last year, which was a re-booted origin film, i.e. a story everyone knew from ten years earlier! Wolverine had mixed reviews and people were non plussed with Origins. Personally I think Wolverine is not quite big enough to carry a film on his own. He needs the other X Men. Now a film I would like to see would be a Magneto stand alone!