Are Marvel trying to make Captain America and Ironman...

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Compete with Batman and Superman. Yes Spider-Man is Marvel's face but you know what I mean. When I think of two impactful characters in the Marvel Universe Ironman and Captain America are the first names that come up. Do you guys agree? Or do you think Marvel are just doing their thing.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman and Superman are much bigger names compared to Iron Man an Captain America. I think Marvel is going to be blamed for copying DC by a lot of non-comic book readers when Civil War comes just after Batman v Superman. Even though both movies are different from each other, they are still a lot similar.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Penguin-Dust

I think Marvel is just doing their thing. You need to remember that Spider-Man and the X-Men film franchises are held by other studios, so it's hard to guide them as they have with Iron Man and Captain America. Now, Spidey is being pulled into the MCU following the disappointing reaction to ASM 2, and Sony not really knowing what to do with the character. FOX has fared much better with their mutant-verse, so I don't expect to see them crossing over the MCU anytime soon. If Marvel had retained the rights to more popular characters, Wolverine and Spider-Man, before the whole MCU began, things would probably be different. Captain America is about as old as Batman or Superman, so on that, they may be pushing his icon forward, but that not unusual for any character. After all, they want people to go see the movies, watch the TV shows, read the books, buy the DVDs, toys, apparel, etc...on that level, yes they want them to compete with Batman and Superman as well as The Terminator, Jurassic Park, Harry Potter, the Lord of the Rings and every other successful franchise not already owned by Disney.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt: I think that on Civil War comment section a lot of people will state that it's just a copy of Batman v Superman. But each the plots will be completely different.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kfabz-23 said:

@rbt: I think that on Civil War comment section a lot of people will state that it's just a copy of Batman v Superman. But each the plots will be completely different.

I know. But Civil War would look like a copy in first look. I just hope Marvel doesn't screw it up. There is lot that can go wrong with Civil War.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@penguindust: fair points, but what about in the comics.

@rbt: I have confidence in Marvel. I'm sure they know that people will claim it's a copy of Batman v Superman it's inevitable.

KCMinato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hm..... yea. I still think that marvel is doing their thing tho . It just seems to all add up and been planned for like the Avengers. One thing is leading to another and i don't think is just to compete with batman and superman. Of course there will be competition but I don't think that was the main purpose of marvel . Civil War is just a good way to bring many characters together and lead up further to Infinity War such as bringing in black panther and all

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

the boyscout and the rich tech guy

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcminat: I get your point, but you know that the next Captain America was heavily changed because Robert Downey Jr wanted a bigger role than he was given. It wasn't actually suppose to be Civil War.

@thecybr0g: I like your answer the most, everyone else took my post as Dawn Of Justice vs Civil War.

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its not like marvel is trying to make them the next batman superman it's just that they're popular as ever and people just like captain america and iron man.. they are probably about as popular today as superman/batman are. We all know spiderman blows supes and bats outta they water in terms of money and popularity

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

I kind of get what you're saying, but I'm not totally sure if I agree.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman vs Superman VS Iron Man vs Captain America

Maybe MARVEL Studios had planned all along to include Iron Man in Civil War, but I can't help but feel he was added AFTER WB\DC annouced BvS for 2016. Maybe I'm completely off my rocker with that theory, but eitherway next year is shaping up to be one of best ever with BvS, Civil War and Suicide Squad all looking pretty damn good so far.

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Marvel wants all of their characters to be successful. When they start dropping books and adding 5-10 more Iron Man or Captain America solo titles every month, then go ahead and sound the alarm bells.

Gjgp27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@shazam117: well cap 3 wasn't gonna b civil war, rdj made them change it

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No one is gonna accuse Civil War of being a copy.

Because BVS is probably gonna suck.

Beata

Kramotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

l0l I hope not, because, from a hype standpoint, Captain America and Iron Man don't stand a chance against Batman and Superman. As said above, Batman and Superman are much bigger names.

Avatar image for avatar_of_green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do you mean in terms of their relationship with each other or in terms of their popularity to the public?

In terms of trying to make them as popular, yes they are trying to be more popular than DC... what kind of question is that?

Are they succeeding? Well that's debatable, but Iron Man 3 outsold TDK. Thor: TDW (generally considered the worst MCU movie) outsold MoS, as did both Captain America movies. In terms of the cinematic universe, Cap has been in 4 major motion pictures in the last 6 years, and Iron Man has been in 5 major motion pictures. They are absolutely just as recognizable to the general public as Batman and Superman are right now.

DC may sell more comics and be more popular with adults, but guess who mostly buys toys and goes to movies? Teens and pre-teens. That's the important market when discussing popularity in comics.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Spider-Man is the face of Marvel, it doesn´t matter if he appeared in the MCU or not, there is no question about Spidey being their staple.

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Man is the face of Marvel, it doesn´t matter if he appeared in the MCU or not, there is no question about Spidey being their staple.

Thanks for reminding us. :P

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@those_eyes: Yeah, people thinking that Iron Man or Cap are above Spider-Man in popularity or icon status is beyond me.

Skit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think that was their plan since the beginning, more it started to evolve into that with fan reception and they just decided to roll with it.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avatar_of_green: I'm obviously not talking about popularity.

Thor TDW made 644 million and MOS made 668 million. MOS literally sold more than every phase one movie apart from Avengers so it outsold Cap 1. Not to mention MOS actually had films competing with it.

lettsplay10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

no

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think people really care about any similarities between BvS and Civil War tbh or whether one studio is copying another because I don't think that's really the case. Marvel doesn't need to try and turn Cap and Iron Man into Superman or Batman. They are already iconic characters on their own footing whether people like it or not. Of course they are going to promote them because you have RDJ playing Iron Man who is one of the biggest stars in Hollywood and you have Cap who has his own movie franchise. I don't think Marvel really cares what DC is doing and vice versa. They are both just trying to capitalize on the cbm phenomenon as much as possible before the well runs dry.

Avatar image for avatar_of_green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kfabz-23: Why do you keep comparing it to Phase 1 movies when it came out during Marvel's Phase 2? Every Phase 2 movie did better than MoS, including GOTG which included... no one.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avatar_of_green: false and false. You said Thor TDW outsold MOS so I corrected you. You also said both Cap films sold more, so again I corrected you.

Three things you need to take into account when saying GOTG outsold MOS.

1- MOS HAD COMPETITION! This is the end, Monsters University & World War Z. GOTG only competed with TMNT which made what 400 million.

2- It doesn't matter if GOTG are unknown, the have Marvel and Disney's name slapped on it, both have a huge fanbase. MCU is the highest selling movie franchise and Disney is f***ing Disney. On top of that GOTG was awesome.

3- MOS was coming off Superman Returns which sucked.

Let me make it four things.

4- Kid friendly films have a much higher chance of making a lot of money over films that are teen up.

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DBVSE7

Nah.. there's been Cap vs Iron Man stuff before Avengers 2 or BvS were hot topics.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dbvse7: this topic is not just about the movies though

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DBVSE7

@kfabz-23: Why would they try to fight a losing battle? Of course they're doing their own thing..

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dbvse7: it's not about a battle, it's about how Marvel are trying to have Captain America & Ironman as the two top characters in MU. You know like how every other superhero looks up to Superman & Batman in DC. In Marvel it used to be Avengers as a whole, but in my opinion since Civil War happened Ironman and Captain America have become the Batman & Superman of the Marvel Universe.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Well, they are the faces of the movie franchise now. But its not like comicwise those two did not already hold important roles before. They are just more popular now. And their current direction in the comics is not exactly Batman/Superman, with Steve being a retired senior hero more like Batman Beyond Bruce and Tony being... superior... hinted to not be Iron Man post secret wars.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11