are Marvel/DC more occupied with profit than quality?

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

I dunno about you, but I seem to have chopped and changed my books more often than ever recently, as I struggle to find consistently good quality reading material for the popular DC and Marvel characters. Both Marvel and DC are obviously out to make money, but do they put profit above quality with the endless reboots, crossover stories and character changes? Do people think that the quality of the comics is generally better or worse than it was in the 90s or naughties?

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

are Marvel/DC more occupied with profit than quality?

Of course.

BB

Avatar image for bossdarksied355
Bossdarksied355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I don't know about DC, but marvel is definitely going that route. Since marvel is inconsistent as hell right now.

Avatar image for theamazingbatman760
TheAmazingBatman760

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They both are guilty of it.

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't read DC but Marvel is going down that route but they are more preoccupied in making the comics like the movies

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 559

Haven't read many comics from the 90's but I would say they are both guilty of it although I would say marvel is better at ruining certain titles.

JugJugBanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

since DC is owned by Warner Brothers and Marvel is owned by Disney, they are only concerned with not getting FIRED.

selfproclaimed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By selfproclaimed

they are a business, having high profit means they get to survive also pay their employees and creative teams along with dominating the comics market (they get to do invest the profit again). so yeah its really natural for dc and marvel (along with literally every other business in the world) to care more about profit, then you have the geniune writers and artists who care aboutquality of their work and getting payed because they're not working for free

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A writer still wants respect regardless if the company wants money

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#10 SC  Moderator

You ask a tricky question, if Marvel and DC suddenly put all their resources and effort into putting out the highest quality of stories possible, the comic industry would radically change overnight, most likely to an extent both companies would lose a lot of money and go bankrupt. Its like asking if McDonalds should start producing better quality of food, then them trying to sell 20 dollar gourmet burgers of the highest quality. Basically a balance is required and most important thing for them to consider is what people will buy, not how valuable do we make our product. Writers, editors will want to make a valuable product, but within their resources and budget.

An even easier question you can ask yourself, is whether your tastes in comics and perception of quality corresponds with the general "average" of other readers buying the same books as you, or whether as you get older, your tastes get more refined and critical as you learn and understand the medium better and you are exposed to more variety of stories and quality. I myself think the quality of comics is better now than ever before, but thats mostly due to technology, the evolution of the medium and the idea that smaller indie series can survive a bit, books like Saga out there, Marvel puts out a lot of variety too, because they know audiences are larger but not in a way they can exploit with big titles. There are books they know will appeal to a casual audience (Uncanny X-Men, Avengers), those that might not (Superior Foes of Spider-man, Elektra) so some books have creators that write the sort of story I appreciate. I do find some stories repetitive and a bit dull, but usually those books earn big sales, and at Marvel and DC? Those books may be helping the smaller books stay afloat. Then again, indie comics always have a lot of underrated good quality books.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

I think that Marvel and DC are definitely more focused on making profits at the moment rather than telling good stories or at least telling more consistent stories. But, I can see why they are constantly making events and crossovers, even though I don't agree with them since they need the profits to stay afloat.

HigorM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12 HigorM  Moderator

@sc: I agree with you. Sometimes I think the indie books should get some more marketing treatment..

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that Marvel and DC are definitely more focused on making profits at the moment rather than telling good stories or at least telling more consistent stories. But, I can see why they are constantly making events and crossovers, even though I don't agree with them since they need the profits to stay afloat.

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

Marvel is, DC isn't.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely. Just look at who owns them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. Marvel is at least. All the Number 1 issues, big events, gimmicks, character replacements, character deaths...

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By feebadger

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/gen-discussion-1/worries-of-a-fanboy-1636840

Talks very much about some of the same issues.