Are feats necessary?

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

Are they necessary for a superhero comic? Do you expect them when you read a super hero comic?

Marco_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Marco_Kidd

I'm not sure what you mean, feats are just an impressive thing that a character does.

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

In a way yes, super hero comics are all about putting characters in impossible situations and having them win anyways. A good ongoing will have the protagonist at least partially responsible for some part of the victories and thus feats are born. That is why the best super hero comics keep escalating in danger; read Batman or Earth2 or Injustice.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Wolverine008

@mitran said:

A good story doesn't need feats and a good story can incorporate feats. Depends on the storyteller's ability and what they want to tell.

That said, they're a hell of a lot of fun to read about and I'd much rather have feats in my comics than go without.

More or less.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Nothing is necessary except a good story and good art.

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Feats are not required. Feats are only a necessity for fans wHo like to say tHeir favorite Hero stomps. Besides tHat, feats are useless in a story.

-ABstract4$$#073-

mikep12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Basically what every one else has been saying unless you mean when comes to fighting in which feats are and are not required. For instance characters like Batman and Iron man if they were going to fight they'd kind of need feats. People like superman prime 1million and max faraday don't need feats as supes was once said to be second to the presence himself that alone is a feat and nothing has to show it since DC said it themselves also max faraday is often pit against Richard franklin who and even though he has a lack of feats his power comes from a higher source and for some that's enough said.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RDClip

I don't care about feats or quantifying a character's powers/skills. A good story is all that I'm interested in. Of course, a characters power levels should remain somewhat consistant just for basic character continuity.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

what everyone else said

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

I don't care about feats for the sake of feats but with characters like Superman, Lantern, Thor, Hulk and so on, I want to see them use their powers. I want to see Superman doing things no one else can. He's supposed to be the strongest and one of the fastest beings on the planet and I want to see that.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SOG7dc

I don't think they're necessary

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

They aren't needed. They come naturally with a lot of stories, but tons of my favorite titles don't pay any attention to that stuff and are excellent. (Hawkeye, Wonder Woman, etc)

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

Feats are always necessary specially when in underated character or in team up/group tittle.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

I don't think they are needed as much as I know some people think they are.

I ofc like that there are some indicators of how powerful various characters are, but I don't need to be constantly reminded of it or waste huge amount of page space to hammer home a point I already got.

An example of this is the current WW book. There are some readers who thinks she is weak because she doesn't lift very heavy objects every other issue, fly faster than speeding bullets or takes atomic bombs to her forehead with no effort and so on. And they still do this after the 12th issue, where she didn't just beat a god, she humiliated her. Then the criticism became that the deity was feat-less and weaker than Diana because of how easily she was defeated, completely looking past the fact that she is still a god and that alone puts her past most of DC's expansive character sheet in power.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could be misunderstanding your use of the term, because I have the same understanding that @marco_kidd has. I think the superhero franchise is somewhat built on feats. On the high end: they are a fast way to justify the danger of a villain, power level of a character or just end a story in an extravagant explosion of fan-pleasing climax (i.e. Kitty phasing an earth-sized bullet through the planet, Magneto reversing the earth's polarities). Low end: they show the typical power level and traits of a character (i.e. a telepath hearing another person's thoughts). If there were no feats in the superhero genre, I think they would end up becoming rather bland - not quite sci-fi, not quite adventure, yet there are costumes and tights.

Feats become unnecessary in books that are more story or character driven, though.

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I wouldn't say they're necessary, but they are fun to see. Stuff like dodging bullets or deflecting them is all apart of the story. If Superman needed to lift a 500 ton object for the plot, I don't see how that would hurt.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SOG7dc

I would like to see more in WW. I'm gonna read it regardless though because it's awesome

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Character interaction is all I need in a comic or a superhero movie. Screw feats!

Avatar image for cosmicallyaware1
cosmicallyaware1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

#20  Edited By cosmicallyaware1

Feats are. What heroes and villains produce on the regular....don't really understand what the questionis here...

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yes..... and no.......

RetconCrisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it's a popcorn comic, yes.

If the comic has a great story, no.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. Who wants to read a comic book that is just dialogue?