Are DC characters to strong?

Sky_Watch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Are DC characters stepping over the line when it comes to how strong characters should be? I am still considering the fact that maybe they aren't it is just people like marvel are weak but then when I think about characters like zoom, flash, superman, batman..... I just don't know anymore. What do you guys think?

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By AllStarSuperman

No. Somebody has a case of the don't know what there talking abouts.

DianaXKal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Sovereign91001

Yeah, it's not like Marvel doesn't have people like Silver Surfer, Thanos, The Phoenix, Thor, Hyperion and any number of Celestials, Skyfathers and Herald level character's...yeah DC is super overpowered.

Sky_Watch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For every comic character anime character from every other company there is someone that can beat them and also can you think of a good possible matchup for a character like zoom from another universe? That is not a god?

keithcolby1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dianaxkal: What about Wonder Woman? She beats everyone right?

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Beside Superman bench pressing the earth for five days straight, no. Speed is a different story though.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mysticmedivh

@allstarsuperman said:

This. Not sure why Batman is on that list though.

Sky_Watch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman said:

I don't think he should be there but from past experiences people seem to throw reasoning out the way when batman's name is mentioned.

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There just comic books.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mysticmedivh

@mysticmedivh said:

@allstarsuperman said:

I don't think he should be there but from past experiences people seem to throw reasoning out the way when batman's name is mentioned.

There are two reasons why Batman usually wins in absurd and stupid battles such as Batman vs. Spectre or Batman vs. Living Tribunal. A) Batman fanboys. B) The rest of us who just say Batman for the heck of it, since it's hilarious and play along with the whole Batman is a God thing. Factors such as the following are reasons why people think Batman would have a chance against Galactus for example.

1. The Goddamn Batman.
  2. Idea that Batman can beat anyone with prep.
  3. Chew-Force Batman.
  4. PIS showings.
  5. The Bat-Factor.
  6. Batman memes that add onto the Bat-Factor.
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Otherwise, he is just a street-level character that gets wrecked by Spider-Man 10/10 in any random encounter.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's no such thing as too strong or overpowered.

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's not like Marvel had the Beyonder and Molecule Man or anything.

Sky_Watch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So does wally west actually NEED all the powers he has because if not then wouldn't he be considered OP?

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mysticmedivh

@night4345 said:

It's not like Marvel had the Beyonder and Molecule Man or anything.

They got rectonned.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Wolfrazer  Online

@mysticmedivh: Saying Batman has gotten really old and isn't hilarious, it's just become annoying at this point.

HuiZe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God no.

Also, Marvel's universe is more powerful.

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Speed is All DC that's all I'm saying.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DianaXKal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

Actually i think Marvel tend to look stronger. DC only have few. Aside Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, White and Green Lanterns, The Flash, Martian Manhunter, Shazam, Power Girl, Batman, Cyborg, Doctor Fate, Zatanna, Constatine, Swamp Thing and Animal Man, DC doesnt have more stronger characther than that outsider big villiains. The rest are less powerful characters and they arent that overpower. Some are just street level characters, rest have similiar powers but with less power or skilled.

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DBVSE7

@vitalius: I tend to think the same way.

I think Marvel has more powerful characters when it comes to the versatility of their powers.

It's not just he hits harder or flys or runs faster so he or she strikes harder.. which is most DC heavy hitters such as Supes, WW, Flash, MM, Aquaman, Black Adam, Shazam, Icon, etc.

DC characters are basically experienced Brawlers it's all raw strength that makes them powerful.

That's just my opinion though.

THETRAUMINATOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Frikin batman kicking the spectre and superman lift the earth for five days convinced me that DC is overpowered but if the universes ( marvel and dc) had a fight i think marvel would win or a stalemate

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

*TooStrong

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By reactor

No, if anything, DC has too great an emphasis on speed. Marvel on the other hand has too much emphasis on metaphysically-powered characters. There are a LOT of telepaths in Marvel, for instance.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By Cap10nate

Marvel may have just as many powerful characters but a lot of them aren't marquee characters that are featured in several monthly books. Before Hickman brought Hyperion, Starbrand, and Universe to the forefront in Avengers, Marvel really only had Thor and Hulk as top tiered powers that were featured consistently on a monthly basis. The cosmic powerhouses like Surfer, Galactus, Gladiator, Thanos, Beyonder, Phoenix, etc are only featured every now and again and not the marquee characters.

With DC, you have the supreme powers of Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Martian Manhunter, Green Lantern and Aquaman featured in JL books and their own titles for the most part. I think a lot of people would say that at least three of these would take Thor and Hulk in fights.

I don't think that there is a problem with featuring the powerhouses if you can tell good stories with them which DC seems to have done successfully for a long time.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ScouterV

Compared to what?

That is what I ask when people use that term. Compared to Marvel or to their universe? Cause, as much as we do it as a the reader, the threats in the universes aren't the same and we can't really compare and say "Oh this character is OP." I doubt too many DC guys go into a character thinking "Gotta remember to keep him just below Black Panther-levels." You know why we have guys like Superman, Shazam, and The Flash in the DC Universe? Because we have guys like Black Adam, Zoom, and Doomsday to deal with in the DC Universe.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Here's the thing. DC is its own universe, they aren't making their characters to have them be compared to Marvel or whatever other company. Yes, Superman is strong, but so are his villains, you have Darkseid, Brainiac, Mongul, Doomsday, etc. If you compare some of DC's heroes to some of Marvel's then yes, of course they would seem stronger (though, Thor to me is Superman+magic so, idk about that). But in their own universe, no, they aren't too strong.

RetconCrisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All the characters usually have a weakness. Superman's is kryptonite, magic, and red suns. Wonder Woman's is piercing/sharp weaponry, Green Lantern Corps WAS yellow, but now it's just fear itself. Aquaman's is that he needs to hydrate. Batman is that he had no powers. Darkseid's is stairs. Atrocitus's is bad writing. Superboy-Prime's is whining every five panels.

Also they all have equal or stronger enemies. In DBZ the characters can reach universe busting levels or chucking around galaxies like TT Gurren Lagann as long as there's enemies that can handle that type of power.

DraciosV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's the thing. DC is its own universe, they aren't making their characters to have them be compared to Marvel or whatever other company. Yes, Superman is strong, but so are his villains, you have Darkseid, Brainiac, Mongul, Doomsday, etc. If you compare some of DC's heroes to some of Marvel's then yes, of course they would seem stronger (though, Thor to me is Superman+magic so, idk about that). But in their own universe, no, they aren't too strong.

Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. They aren't overpowered.

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mr_Clockwork91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only thing that is OP are omnipotent characters.

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh hey never seen this question asked before.

And OP why did you conveniently not have any GL on your list? They only have a ring that can allow them to create anything they can imagine.

Raffels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a valid argument because MAarvel has weaker Heroes compared to their villains so it gives them more of a reason to team up and fight. Another thing is DC writes their characters like Flash getting hit by oppenents he souldn't all the time… So their overpowered and writers write them fighting stupid bacause they have to.

king1_icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By king1_icon

o please Marvel has black panther and blue marvel they solo a good number of DC :3

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally think they are too strong for my liking but that's why marvel exist. For people that like high power sets, that's why DC exist. Diversity people, deal with it.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

To me, this should have ended the thread. Because, you know, comics.

DraciosV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There was a saying by a user on here, an "Aleksei Andreinov" I think. It's that "there is no such thing as overpowered, only badly written."

rev_sulphur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

No. these are comics.

Deadgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Deadgod

As long as comics are good power levels don't matter.

thebiggestg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By thebiggestg

DC's mainstream/popular characters tend to be more powerful than Marvel's mainstream/popular characters. For example: Superman, Flash, Green Lantern and Martian Manhunter of DC as compared to merely Thor and Silver Surfer of Marvel.

However, Marvel's deus-ex-machina/nigh-omnipotent characters tend to be more powerful (feat-wise) compared to DC's equivalent. For example: Living Tribunal of Marvel as compared to Kismet/Spectre of DC

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-6137545428734
deactivated-6137545428734

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

In most honest opinion DC characters aren't really too strong especially with how Viners are viewing them these days. DC characters including Superman are considered too weak to stand up to the likes of cosmic entities and such unlike Marvel characters Thor, Thanos and many others. The more powerful DC characters have weaknesses as opposed to Marvel's powerful characters like Hulk, Beyonder or Phoenix.

Most or at least some people on the Vine believe Living Tribunal to be above Presence, Eternity is well above Spectre, Pre-Retcon Molecule Man can solo the entire DC Universe. Marvel has a lot, probably too many high-end reality warpers, high-end matter manipulators, high-end telepaths, planet busters, solar system busters, galaxy busters and plenty more along those lines. These are just some of the examples I found on the Vine. I just can't see how people can complain DC is overpowered especially with how some of their characters are portrayed after the Silver Age.

I recently read a battle forum topic where the vast majority of Viners believe Silver Surfer would effortlessly curbstomp the Justice League without trying. Just an interesting thought though even if it seemed too much. The Marvel characters that are portrayed currently could probably beat the Pre-Crisis DC characters.

I am a rather hard-core Marvel fan and would favour anything in Marvel over DC and would like to believe it true like most other Viners but realistically I think most of us just compare the poster boys Superman and Spiderman instead of Hulk and Superman or Thor and Superman. I don't see many DC characters being overrated as such, probably because I believe Marvel characters are somewhat superior.

Sky_Watch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#48  Edited By Supermanthor

Look heres the thing marvel have equally powerful characters

but trend to think that dc is stronger because of two reason

1 they have sheer bias

2 they only know the mainstream characters

dcs powerhouses are more well known than marvel with the exception of thor and hulk and because of this people think dc is overpowered and that marvel dosnet have many powerful characters

they are equally powerful but dc has marvel in speedstar era

keep in mind i am talking it within universal level characters

as for multiversal things my fellow viner @sungsam showed me that a composite dc cosmology is near unbeatable

that being said due to the recent retcon current dc cosmology is weakest one though (but it hardly effects composite dc cosmology )

Oh and one thing dcs powerhouses trend to job very less compare to marvel ones ( looking at you gladiator ) though (but still dc have a tom king and bendis compare to marvels aaron cates ewing )

AtmExle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By AtmExle

If you have villains that are equally as strong, then it isn't much of a problem. If Superman is too op, make a villain that can rival him in speed and strength.

The only issue I have with overpowered characters is when writers coincidentally make them forget their powers for the sake of the plot.