• 59 results
Posted by Veshark (9292 posts) 1 year, 11 months ago

Poll: Are Comics Your Main Hobby? (86 votes)

Yup, they are 38%
Well, I love all my hobbies the same 28%
Nope, I have other hobbies that I put more focus on 34%

I have a bunch of other hobbies; I enjoy reading Lovecraft and historical war memoirs, I play video games, I watch sitcoms and HBO original shows, and I always surf the Net for hidden gems of rap or indie music.

But even with all of that, I have to say that comics are still predominantly my main hobby. I spend more money on comics than any other purchases, I read comics everyday, visit comic sites everyday (hi guys!) and research characters everyday (and edit their wiki pages, too). Most of my favorite movies are superhero ones, the majority of games I play are superhero games, and half of my drawings are of superhero characters. They are, essentially, a large part of my everyday existence.

But I have met some comic fans who while still big fans of the genre, have other hobbies that they put more focus on. I was just curious to see if most Viners have comics as their main hobby, or if they don't.

#51 Edited by Aiden Cross (15726 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope, not even close.

#52 Posted by snarkybits (399 posts) - - Show Bio

Action figures, mostly G.I. Joe, are my main hobby.

#53 Posted by sagejonathan (2213 posts) - - Show Bio

My other hobbies include martial arts, reading novels, swimming in the summer, and video games, but I feel comics will be something that will never go away no matter where I go or who I become and is the most enjoyable.

#54 Posted by DonFelipe (1682 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

@jayk527 said:

@fodigg: Are you running as part of a team? If so, don't worry about it. We have one in New York coming up in the 27th of July. I opted out, but there are 15 people that I work with that are doing it together. You should have a blast. Remember, finishing is what's important. Nothing else matters.

Just me and my brother-in-law, but from what I saw in the videos the obstacles crowd up so there's lots of help to go around. That's the hope anyway.

I'm pretty sure it's a friendly crowd and you'd be offered help at obstacles if you'll need it. Help in terms of moral support and advice from experienced runners how to approach certain obstacle. I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's all about being part of it, having fun, checking out your limits, and of course, making it do the finishing line whatsoever. It's not all about pure strength but motivation, durability, and will power.

My major goal would be getting as dirty and muddy as possible and always going head first.

Obstacles - the scariest one would be the Electroshock Therapy, something that is not in your own control, you'll never know when it will zap you and how much it will hurt. Good thing is, it usually seems to be the final obstacle anyway. At that point you just want to get it over with and get to the beer stand. He! As for most of the other obstacles where strength or balance is required, if you fail to manage them, you just drop and have to swim to ice-cold water. It would certainly be a good idea to avoid or limit this. Ice-cold water is a downer and will drop your motivational level unless you like cold shower.

What obstacle do you think will be the biggest challenge for you?

#55 Posted by jayk527 (21 posts) - - Show Bio

@donfelipe: If I were to do it right now, I would struggle with my endurance. I can do push-ups, squats, and pull-ups til the cows come home, but my cardio has always been my nemesis. So I think the length of it would actually be the toughest part for me.

#56 Edited by fodigg (6209 posts) - - Show Bio
@donfelipe said:

@fodigg said:

@jayk527 said:

@fodigg: Are you running as part of a team? If so, don't worry about it. We have one in New York coming up in the 27th of July. I opted out, but there are 15 people that I work with that are doing it together. You should have a blast. Remember, finishing is what's important. Nothing else matters.

Just me and my brother-in-law, but from what I saw in the videos the obstacles crowd up so there's lots of help to go around. That's the hope anyway.

I'm pretty sure it's a friendly crowd and you'd be offered help at obstacles if you'll need it. Help in terms of moral support and advice from experienced runners how to approach certain obstacle. I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's all about being part of it, having fun, checking out your limits, and of course, making it do the finishing line whatsoever. It's not all about pure strength but motivation, durability, and will power.

My major goal would be getting as dirty and muddy as possible and always going head first.

Obstacles - the scariest one would be the Electroshock Therapy, something that is not in your own control, you'll never know when it will zap you and how much it will hurt. Good thing is, it usually seems to be the final obstacle anyway. At that point you just want to get it over with and get to the beer stand. He! As for most of the other obstacles where strength or balance is required, if you fail to manage them, you just drop and have to swim to ice-cold water. It would certainly be a good idea to avoid or limit this. Ice-cold water is a downer and will drop your motivational level unless you like cold shower.

What obstacle do you think will be the biggest challenge for you?

Depending on how wet my hands are, any upper body strength obstacle where you're grabbing metal. The monkey bars one where you're climbing at an upwards angle for half the time seems like it might give me some trouble.

For the shock ones my plan is to just make sure nobody is in my way and then just move fast. Nothing else you can do. As long as the shocks are roughly as painful as, say, a paintball, I should be able to sprint through. My only worry there is falling.

@jayk527 said:

@donfelipe: If I were to do it right now, I would struggle with my endurance. I can do push-ups, squats, and pull-ups til the cows come home, but my cardio has always been my nemesis. So I think the length of it would actually be the toughest part for me.

I feel like I'm in the opposite boat. Running? No issue. I can do a half marathon at the drop of a hat. But strength training? I hate it. Always feel like I'm just wandering around the gym lost and liable to hurt myself. If I exhaust myself on the obstacles, will that kill my ability to do the running? That's what I'm worried about.

#57 Posted by CerealKiller (169 posts) - - Show Bio

somehow comics just bleed into every other hobby i have

. i love drawing and art....so i draw comic book fanart

.i love fashion and clothes....so i go on pinterest and create an imaginary wardrobe for Emma frost. sometimes when i go shopping i see a dress and think 'Oh wow! Jean grey would so wear that!' haha

.i love writing.....and one of my stories is comic book fanfiction

so yeah, i'd say comic books were my main hobby since its managed to take over most of my other hobbies! haha : )

#58 Posted by AlForeigner (83 posts) - - Show Bio

Going to hit proper Nerdville now for a moment..

..Comic books are not my only hobby, I do also enjoy studying Chemistry and reading various studies and theories concerning various field withing Chemistry. (Nerd moment over) I also enjoy going to the gym very often as well as also taking part in other physical exercises (running, MMA and others).

Oh, and watching Big Bang Theory every night, absolutely LOVE IT. But always, always make time for my comic books.

#59 Edited by Rabbitearsblog (6484 posts) - - Show Bio

I read a lot, so reading comics definitely comes with a territory! But, I also love listening to music and dancing just as much.