• 59 results
Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) 1 year, 5 months ago

Poll: Are Comics Your Main Hobby? (86 votes)

Yup, they are 38%
Well, I love all my hobbies the same 28%
Nope, I have other hobbies that I put more focus on 34%

I have a bunch of other hobbies; I enjoy reading Lovecraft and historical war memoirs, I play video games, I watch sitcoms and HBO original shows, and I always surf the Net for hidden gems of rap or indie music.

But even with all of that, I have to say that comics are still predominantly my main hobby. I spend more money on comics than any other purchases, I read comics everyday, visit comic sites everyday (hi guys!) and research characters everyday (and edit their wiki pages, too). Most of my favorite movies are superhero ones, the majority of games I play are superhero games, and half of my drawings are of superhero characters. They are, essentially, a large part of my everyday existence.

But I have met some comic fans who while still big fans of the genre, have other hobbies that they put more focus on. I was just curious to see if most Viners have comics as their main hobby, or if they don't.

#1 Posted by TheManInTheShoe (3878 posts) - - Show Bio

My friends think it's sad when I say reading comics is my life! lol

#2 Edited by Howard_Go (43 posts) - - Show Bio

I make sure I'm at the comic store every Wednesday even though I have a pull list there I get so excited when my comics come in :) but I also love the gym so I have to split my love for each.

#3 Posted by captainsaul (140 posts) - - Show Bio

I have lots of other hobbies, but I always make time for reading my comics.

#4 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

i love comics, but lately they have not been hitting the spot. i've been putting more in games, books (escpecially SF).

#5 Posted by JediXMan (30879 posts) - - Show Bio

I have other hobbies. Fencing, sword collecting (yes), video gaming, general reading, etc.

#6 Edited by ccraft (5384 posts) - - Show Bio

Comics is my main hobby, but my other hobbies are

• Drawing
  • Archery
  • Fishing
  • Hiking
  • billiards definitely wish I had a personal one..

I always wanted to try mountaineering and Spelunking.

#7 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (23180 posts) - - Show Bio

Not at all. History studying, literature, video gaming, writing and several others.

#8 Posted by sinestro_GL (3240 posts) - - Show Bio

Comic books: Amongst the most beloved things of mine

#9 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, closely followed by MTG though.

#10 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Ba-bump.

#11 Posted by Cap10nate (2430 posts) - - Show Bio

Golfing, Hunting, and Fishing are all above comics in my favorite hobbies. I also read a lot of economic/historic non fiction books. Really, comics are just what I choose to read when I want to read fiction.

#12 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

i love comics, but lately they have not been hitting the spot. i've been putting more in games, books (escpecially SF).

Yeah, I have to say that I do go through phases with comic-reading. On occasion, I'll go months without reading anything new or even looking up comics on the Net, and then all of a sudden, I'll return.

Actually, I was in a rut just before joining CV. I hadn't read comics in over three months, and during that time I devoted most of my time to fiction like the Karla Trilogy or Iraq War memoirs of duty. And then, one day, I stumbled across my CV account (that I made years ago but never used) and got back into comics.

The rush you get when you return to comics after such a long hiatus...there's something special about that. At the risk of sounding sentimental, it's like reconnecting with a long lost friend.

#13 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

GotZ many hobbies besides comics :p

#14 Edited by AweSam (7375 posts) - - Show Bio

Right now my main hobbies are school and work.

#15 Posted by gunmetalgrey (1270 posts) - - Show Bio

I spend most of my time between comics and anime, but I spend more money on toys and statues. Drawing is also very time-consuming, but I only get the urge to do it an average of 2-3 times a month.

#16 Edited by Lvenger (20643 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam said:

Heh this too for me. Plus reading books, university applications, playing tennis, watching TV, history and atheist stuff.

#17 Edited by Billy Batson (58141 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah and nice to hear that I'm not the only with a comic book burnout.

BB

#18 Edited by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8213 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, let's see... I don't really have any other hobbies besides collecting and reading comics...

I like looking at wiki pages... Superhero wiki pages...

I like drawing... Superheroes...

Do I do anything that's not comic book related?

Oh! Does listening to songs from the 70's - 80's count? I'm not old enough to have listened to them when the came out, but I do enjoy them, and the "modern" music people my age are supposed to enjoy listening to just doesn't seem to have any meaning, really... Not as much as the older stuff.

#19 Posted by AweSam (7375 posts) - - Show Bio
@lvenger said:

@awesam said:

Heh this too for me. Plus reading books, university applications, playing tennis, watching TV, history and atheist stuff.

Aside from the university applications, since school = university, those are all small hobbies of mine.

#20 Posted by Derfel (249 posts) - - Show Bio

I love comics, but I also like reading historical novels, playing video games, watching movies / series, and playing / watching football.

#21 Edited by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually video games are.

#22 Posted by bob808 (6779 posts) - - Show Bio

Reenactments

#23 Posted by Z3RO180 (6613 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty much yea

#24 Posted by dscythe (40 posts) - - Show Bio

comics has been getting a lot of attention for me lately, but listen to music and upgrading my setup is on par with it, video games have been suffering lately though

#25 Edited by Dm225 (298 posts) - - Show Bio

Comics are my main hobby and definitely the one I spend the most money on. My other hobbys in order of importance; Video games, Magic: The Gathering, football, and board games.

#26 Posted by Chronus (1115 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope, I have other hobbies that have more of my attention.

#27 Posted by akbogert (3224 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope. I've been a lifelong gamer, only really got into comics around New Year's. They (or more accurately, CV) occupy more of my time lately but I'm going into a graduate program specifically to deal with games, so they're not about to lose their prominence in my life.

#28 Posted by Xaos (497 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

I play tabletop RPG too, but really, I do write and read as my first hobby.

#29 Posted by SmoothJammin (2334 posts) - - Show Bio

No. Honestly it's boxing. I'm actually training in the amateurs.

#30 Posted by Teerack (7048 posts) - - Show Bio

I think currently they might be.

#31 Posted by HumanRocket (8601 posts) - - Show Bio

I have more than one hobby but I do have a habit to sticking to one hobby for a long time and them moving on to another one.

#32 Edited by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20387 posts) - - Show Bio

I love all my hobbies evenly. Gaming and comic books are my main hobbies. Comic Vine is also one if that counts.

#33 Posted by TDK_1997 (14983 posts) - - Show Bio

Yep,they are!

#34 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (18757 posts) - - Show Bio

Comic vine more than comics.. But I do have other hobbies that I prefer..

#35 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, there are actually a fairly equal mix of Viners who have comics as their main hobby, and those that don't.

Funnily enough for me, I don't really like most of the other hobbies that many comic-readers do. Of course, this is more of a stereotype, but I don't enjoy sci-fi shows or books, I've never played a tabletop RPG in my life, and while I appreciate the cool factor of action figures - I don't actually collect them. The closest would be video games I think, but then again, nearly everyone plays them.

#36 Edited by nappystr8 (1122 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.

#37 Posted by Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray (745 posts) - - Show Bio

Reading and collecting comics is my main hobby. However, video games, reading in general and watching films are my other main hobbies.

#38 Posted by jayk527 (12 posts) - - Show Bio

My main hobby is collecting Buffalo Bills cards and mini helmets (signed). When I was a pre and early teen, I collected comics as my number one priority. I would read them once, then bag and board them. I had them up until about 6 years ago when I finally gave in to my now ex wides nagging about getting rid of them. 600 comics sold to one guy in a garage sale for $100. Looking back now, one of the worst decisions I have ever made.

Anyway, I also love reading novels, working out, spending time with my kids, writing, and traveling.

#39 Edited by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted "all the same" but now I'm having second thoughts. I think this poll made me realize something: running is my favorite hobby and has been for a while. I run religiously, and I'm not even religious.

All my other hobbies are pretty sedentary:

• Comics
  • Sci-fi/Fantasy (books, films)
  • Writing
  • Gaming (tabletop, video)

Combined with poor eating and sleeping habits at the time, this led to a very large fo (my heaviest was about 237 lbs). I started running just over five years ago and at the time I couldn't even finish a mile in one go. Since then, I've run 5k, 8k, half marathons, and a marathon. I run at least four times a week, at least 14 miles per week—more when training for long runs. This month I'm trying my first obstacle course race, the Tough Mudder (Chicago). I weighed in this morning at 171.2 lbs, a 66 lb. swing in total. I haven't weighed that since sophomore year of high school over a decade ago.

I love comics. I worked at a comic store for years and ran it myself for half of that time. I built up my collection so much I had to force myself to switch exclusively to digital/trades just because I had no room. But when I think how much time I used to put into it—with conventions and tracking down Indy stuff, etc—I just don't do that stuff anymore. Work and family get in the way. But I still make time for running, I still plan out running events and races, and I know I'd have a really hard time giving all that up.

So yeah, I didn't even realize. Sure I knew running was important to me, very important. But I never looked at it in those terms before, comparing it to my other hobbies. Huh.

#40 Posted by longbowhunter (7265 posts) - - Show Bio

Comics are where it's at for me at the moment. I would really like to get back into music though.

#41 Edited by DonFelipe (1121 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

I voted "all the same" but now I'm having second thoughts. I think this poll made me realize something: running is my favorite hobby and has been for a while. I run religiously, and I'm not even religious.

• Comics
  • Writing

Combined with poor eating and sleeping habits at the time, this led to a very large fo (my heaviest was about 237 lbs). I started running just over five years ago and at the time I couldn't even finish a mile in one go. Since then, I've run 5k, 8k, half marathons, and a marathon. I run at least four times a week, at least 14 miles per week—more when training for long runs. This month I'm trying my first obstacle course race, the Tough Mudder (Chicago). I weighed in this morning at 171.2 lbs, a 66 lb. swing in total. I haven't weighed that since sophomore year of high school over a decade ago.

I love comics. I worked at a comic store for years and ran it myself for half of that time. I built up my collection so much I had to force myself to switch exclusively to digital/trades just because I had no room. But when I think how much time I used to put into it—with conventions and tracking down Indy stuff, etc—I just don't do that stuff anymore. Work and family get in the way. But I still make time for running, I still plan out running events and races, and I know I'd have a really hard time giving all that up.

So yeah, I didn't even realize. Sure I knew running was important to me, very important. But I never looked at it in those terms before, comparing it to my other hobbies. Huh.

Tough Mudder looks like helluva fun!

I just bookmarked the site and added it to my to-do list. Thanks for sharing this.

Good luck next week!

never.stop.running.

#42 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33879 posts) - - Show Bio

Gaming and writing are actually my main hobbies then it would be reading novels. Comics have slid pretty far down the list recently.

#43 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (1973 posts) - - Show Bio

Baseball memorabilia and writing I put above comics. Traveling is about tied. I only visit the comic shop once a month to get all my titles. Usually the last Thursday of the month (to avoid the Wednesday crowd) There was a time when I was there every Wednesday, and couldn't wait for what was next, but that was in the 80's/early 90's when, IMHO, comics were better than they are now.

#44 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

• Comics
  • Writing

Tough Mudder looks like helluva fun!

I just bookmarked the site and added it to my to-do list. Thanks for sharing this.

Good luck next week!

never.stop.running.

Thanks! And yeah, I'm excited for it. Concerned because I have the upper body strength of Keira Knightley, but excited.

#45 Posted by jayk527 (12 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg: Are you running as part of a team? If so, don't worry about it. We have one in New York coming up in the 27th of July. I opted out, but there are 15 people that I work with that are doing it together. You should have a blast. Remember, finishing is what's important. Nothing else matters.

#46 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayk527 said:

@fodigg: Are you running as part of a team? If so, don't worry about it. We have one in New York coming up in the 27th of July. I opted out, but there are 15 people that I work with that are doing it together. You should have a blast. Remember, finishing is what's important. Nothing else matters.

Just me and my brother-in-law, but from what I saw in the videos the obstacles crowd up so there's lots of help to go around. That's the hope anyway.

#47 Edited by AjO16 (68 posts) - - Show Bio

Music will always be my number 1 hobby.

Comics are a close second.

#48 Posted by Lieutenant_Awkward (116 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm the frontman for a punk band, so that kinda beats my comic hobby for me.

#49 Posted by TheGwailo (42 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to say that comics are far and away my main stay at home hobby. I can read and re-read books for hours. Most video games just can't hold my interest the way comics can (with a few exceptions - Fallout 3/NV comes to mind), and I'm not much into sitting around watching TV. I do play the hell out of MTG though. As for my other hobbies, I'm big into Wing Chun and running, and I backpack when I can get out of the city.

#50 Posted by RustyRoy (13154 posts) - - Show Bio

I do have other hobbies but I enjoy spending my times with comic related things (Comic books, movies, games, TV series etc) more than anything.