#1 Posted by joeagentofhand1 (4362 posts) - - Show Bio

I have noticed a lot of people downgrading comics, because it is mostly filled with "superheroes". What is truly a superhero though? A hero is the protagonist of a story. If that is the case shouldn't any protagonist with powers not of this world be a superhero? When people think of superheroes they think of men and women in tights fighting criminals. While a majority of comic characters that are considered superheroes do fall under that category, quite a few don't fit the description. I don't consider characters like Spawn, Hellboy, Hulk, Silver Surfer, Zatanna, and Ghost Rider "superheroes". They are still are considered superheroes though. If that is case shouldn't characters like Naruto, Megaman, Samus, Goku, etc be superheroes(since they all have super powers and are the protagonists)? Thank you for reading and please share your thoughts.

#2 Posted by Wolfrazer (8288 posts) - - Show Bio

Well Samus and Megaman don't really have super powers, just their suits. But anyway characters without any powers, would just be heroes. Characters with powers though can be superheroes or just heroes. 

#3 Edited by blackwolf0925 (150 posts) - - Show Bio

I like to think eastern heroes where everyday clothes as oppose to costumes and spandex. Most of the Eastern series I tend to read have their heroes in their uniforms or everyday outfits. I think Superheroes here in the west tend to have costumes because that is what most western comic book readers grew up reading. I think it is just a difference in style mostly. My problem with comic books of the west is that there is not enough variety when it comes to them. I think there is to much of one genre for me to actually take comic books seriously.

#4 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

they are superheroes, just not costumed superheroes or vigilantes. Goku, Naruto all those they have super powers and they are heroes, so, do the math!

#5 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

They are all superheroes. They have powers and fight evil. That's enough for anyone.

#6 Posted by joeagentofhand1 (4362 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jorgevy said:

they are superheroes, just not costumed superheroes or vigilantes. Goku, Naruto all those they have super powers and they are heroes, so, do the math!

I understand what you mean and you are correct, but one thing some manga fans(no offense to anyone, but this is based off what I have seen I am not targeting all manga fans just a few in the population) say is that comics are full of superheroes there is no variety unlike manga. So what makes the likes of Goku and Naruto not superheroes? I agree with what you say though.

#7 Posted by TheVoiceOfReason (747 posts) - - Show Bio

@joeagentofhand1 said:

@Jorgevy said:

they are superheroes, just not costumed superheroes or vigilantes. Goku, Naruto all those they have super powers and they are heroes, so, do the math!

I understand what you mean and you are correct, but one thing some manga fans(no offense to anyone, but this is based off what I have seen I am not targeting all manga fans just a few in the population) say is that comics are full of superheroes there is no variety unlike manga. So what makes the likes of Goku and Naruto not superheroes? I agree with what you say though.

Manga fans should definitely not be talking about lack of variety >.< this is coming from someone who reads manga as well as western comics.

#8 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@joeagentofhand1: I think it's because of their idea of superhero. For them a super hero is Superman or Batman or Spider-man and not for instance Constantine, Zatanna or anyone dress in casual wear. They associate it with clothing and with super heroics too - vigilantism and such. Most animé and mangá super heroes deal with saving the world, killing demons or rescuing someone; helping bystanders is not the main focus like it is commonly associated with western super heroes.

I think any character who is a hero and is super human is a super hero. That's why one time I even made a "make your own Animé/Mangá Justice League" because I could totally see some characters crossing over and making a super team to save the day and such

#9 Posted by Rumble Man (11073 posts) - - Show Bio

@joeagentofhand1:

Goku causes more harm than good, he is irresponsible and without the dragon-balls he would be worse off than the villains. Note that he prolongs the battle when he could end them then and there, in GT the usage bites them hard in the ass when syn shenron emerges.

#10 Posted by Agent9149 (2872 posts) - - Show Bio

@Twentyfive said:

They are all superheroes. They have powers and fight evil. That's enough for anyone.

This explains it fully,

Also don't confuse superheros and anti-heros in the same categories.

@blackwolf0925 said:

I like to think eastern heroes where everyday clothes as oppose to costumes and spandex. Most of the Eastern series I tend to read have their heroes in their uniforms or everyday outfits. I think Superheroes here in the west tend to have costumes because that is what most western comic book readers grew up reading. I think it is just a difference in style mostly. My problem with comic books of the west is that there is not enough variety when it comes to them. I think there is to much of one genre for me to actually take comic books seriously.

I disagree here, Western comics have a lot of varieties the only difference from eastern comics is that in western comics most of the the titles are in the same universe where as in the east they are separate.

#11 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

@Agent9149 said:

@Twentyfive said:

They are all superheroes. They have powers and fight evil. That's enough for anyone.

This explains it fully,

Also don't confuse superheros and anti-heros in the same categories.

@blackwolf0925 said:

I like to think eastern heroes where everyday clothes as oppose to costumes and spandex. Most of the Eastern series I tend to read have their heroes in their uniforms or everyday outfits. I think Superheroes here in the west tend to have costumes because that is what most western comic book readers grew up reading. I think it is just a difference in style mostly. My problem with comic books of the west is that there is not enough variety when it comes to them. I think there is to much of one genre for me to actually take comic books seriously.

I disagree here, Western comics have a lot of varieties the only difference from eastern comics is that in western comics most of the the titles are in the same universe where as in the east they are separate.

The same way fans of American comics can't get past the (fe)male lead characters of a lot of the Japanese comics, fans of Japanese comics can't get past the tights and underwear in American comics. Same thing.

Clearly, this guy hasn't read a decent story like the current Aquaman, or great stories like Born Again, or even some Batman comics.

Batman and Superman belong to two different genres: Mystery, and Science Fiction (when Superman is written well). Those are just two superheroes. There is a huge range of storytelling in comics.

#12 Posted by joshmightbe (24842 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheVoiceOfReason: I can tell you the plot of every super hero manga in existence, guy meets enemy, enemy kicks guys ass, guy trains to gain a new devastating ability comes back kicks the enemies ass, new enemy arrives and makes that power up that was the most impressive thing in the world 2 issues ago look like nothing so guy has to repeat steps 1 thru 3 over and over again until the series ends.

#13 Posted by Trodorne (2502 posts) - - Show Bio

@joeagentofhand1: Being able to read during the western time, know any form of martial arts even a little of that, and shoot a gun is super heroic....especially if they are able to read.

#14 Edited by NlGHTCRAWLER (2899 posts) - - Show Bio

Lone Ranger is definitely a superhero.

Naruto, Megaman, Samus, Goku, etc aren't superheroes because they aren't from a planet with 50 million other superheroes and they don't fight crime, or evil unless they themselves are challenged or ordered to do so.

Samus and Megaman are soldiers if anything and Naruto and Goku are anime so they don't count. Superheroes are almost 100 percent of the time from comics. You can't just have the grin, you have to have the history as well.

#15 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6836 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes they are, just not necessarily superheroes with superpowers. So many examples abound of characters in Western comics being superheroes. My personal favorite being Jonah Hex.

#16 Posted by Holaso (78 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a CULTURAL semantic!!!!!!! If a japanese hero were to transition to the Americas and become popular in terms of mainstream (not just a manga import or be shackled to a japanese point of origin)...if that japanese hero were to be "Americanized" then the japanese hero would culturally transition from being a hero to a SUPERHERO. We can take classical heroes as an example. Hercules has been americanized and could be considered a superhero without much debate. But an Indian hero (from India) like Krishna, Karna, or Arjuna that may be popular in Hindu culture would not be seen as a superhero in western culture without being first Americanized.