aquaman no longer a joke?

jeanespinosa21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

I have recently been reading some of the new 52 aquaman, true i didn't read any of his comics before but my point is they make him look like a total badass! I always thought aquaman comics would be more funny but he is so much of a badass in the new 52! so what do you think is he still a joke or have people opinons of him been changing?

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

Aqua man hasn't been a joke for quite some time, it just took a few decades to remove the Super-Friends stain from his reputation

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aqua man hasn't been a joke for quite some time, it just took a few decades to remove the Super-Friends stain from his reputation

Tell that to youtube commenter and people I go to school with...ass-rammers...

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

HE NEVER WAS A JOKE!

*Flips table and stomps off like a giant baby*

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeanespinosa21: aquaman hasnt been joke its just media has made him a joke hes had a lot of bad year just because of famly guy robot chicken and anything made by seth mcfarlan

FlashDamn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I certainly hope he is not a joke cause he is badass

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I have recently been reading some of the new 52 aquaman, true i didn't read any of his comics before but my point is they make him look like a total badass! I always thought aquaman comics would be more funny but he is so much of a badass in the new 52! so what do you think is he still a joke or have people opinons of him been changing?

The general populace will still regard him as a joke, regardless. Not that it matters much anyway.

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By TheManInTheShoe

I think that after Throne of Atlantis his reputation as a bad-ass strengthened.

martyyy15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aquaman is one of the few JL members who is married. Yeah thats pretty badass, not to mention his wife can control water on in insane level. And he is king of majority of planet. Yeah Aquaman=badass

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superfriends Destroyed his image for quite sometime.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 the_stegman  Moderator

Aquaman is the king of Atlantis, is married to one of the most attractive women in comics (and one of the few heroes HAPPILY married) Is strong enough to flip armored cars like pancakes, can leap miles in one jump, is a founder of the most well known superhero teams ever, is damn near bulletproof and can control some of the most dangerous creatures in the ocean. He's not a joke, and despite Superfriends, he never was a joke, he's a legit hero, the media just like to constantly poke fun of him.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Loading Video...

RedLantern23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aquaman has always been badass!

blkson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

"he was never a joke" lmao yea right

Anyways, he's not as much of a joke to comic fans but, to the genereal public--folk who don't read comics-- dude is still a laughing stock.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Deadpool killing an Aquaman clone in Deadpool #10 was a pretty funny joke.

NovaRichRider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My advice is grow a thick skin and don't care if people make fun of one of your favorite comic book characters.

Richard Rider is the name of my favorite. Do you know how many Dick jokes I've heard? I give a crap less and he's still awesome to me.

Ciriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aquaman never really was a joke. I rather despise people who get knowledge from cartoons.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Guardiandevil83

Aquaman has always been a Badass. He fought with just one arm for years, and held his own in battle along side, Martian Manhunter, Wonder Woman, and Superman. He has hurt some of these people physically as we'll. He is practically the Teams most powerful player, considering he has dominion over most of the Earth. Our oceans being what I am referring to. Because of his ability to compel sea life to do what he wants. He has a vast army at his disposal. He is not defenseless on land either, he is a skilled warrior and the king of an advanced race of aquatic super human with technologies not seen anywhere on the planet. Dude is pretty dope.

StrangeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By StrangeMan

I could say he was never a joke, but that would be complete bullcrap and everyone is aware of it, like it or not the guy's still a joke in modern pop culture.

But with that being said, I don't know why people act so butthurt about it, geez people, relax and learn to laugh about yourselves for a sec, I still hear people to this day making gay jokes about Robin only based on the Burt Ward interpretation of the character, and I laugh at those jokes, because yeah, I'm aware that the 60's Robin was silly, only difference is that unlike my friends I'm aware that any of the Robins is far from being that image that they have about the character, and it's ok, because when you think about it, it doesn't really affect the character, it's just jokes from people who don't know any better, and you might think "Oh, but that does affect the image of the character, how will he ever gain a respectable place in modern pop culture if no one can take him seriously?", and that's just nonsense, I assure you the moment Aquaman appears on the big screen as the total badass that he is in the comics people will put aside the Superfriends image of the character they had and be amazed by the actual Aquaman, will that stop people from making jokes about him? Of course not, don't be ridiculous, Batman's pretty much everybody's favorite character and there's still jokes mocking him, the Superfriends happened, nothing will change that, the only thing you can do is laugh with them and not go all nerd rage on their asses trying to change their minds, just, no.

Hell, when you think about it, in the case of Aquaman, him being mocked actually works in favor of the character, I mean, the amount of New 52 fans who just now know that Aquaman's a badass is freaking huge, and that's because they picked up the new title with the Superfriends' Aquaman stuck in their heads, but when they read this radically different character they found themselves hooked by this (for them) completely different portrayal of a joke character, and eventually boosting the series sales, and I bet something similar will happen the day Aquaman gets his own movie.

So yeah, that side of the character will never go away, and in all honesty, it shouldn't, it makes the character's history much richer, just like any other comic book character's silver age versions, so next time you hear an Aquaman joke, I encourage you to laugh at it.

No Caption Provided

...unless the joke sucks, TBBT sucks.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By End_Boss

Aquaman is never not a joke.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By dondave

Aquaman has always been a Badass. He fought with just one arm for years, and held his own in battle along side, Martian Manhunter, Wonder Woman, and Superman. He has hurt some of these people physically as we'll. He is practically the Teams most powerful player, considering he has dominion over most of the Earth. Our oceans being what I am referring to. Because of his ability to compel sea life to do what he wants. He has a vast army at his disposal. He is not defenseless on land either, he is a skilled warrior and the king of an advanced race of aquatic super human with technologies not seen anywhere on the planet. Dude is pretty dope.

Avatar image for captainlantern76
CaptainLantern76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By CaptainLantern76

Aquaman's rep can get better, but there will always be people who will make fun of him.

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mainstream audience still thinks he is a joke. He is kind of easy to make fun of though....I mean the guy talks to fish.

SNascimento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, Conan O'Brien was making fun of him when the reviewed Injustice.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#25 JediXMan  Moderator

He's getting more respect after he become OP in Injustice.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam said:

@jeanespinosa21 said:

The general populace will still regard him as a joke, regardless. Not that it matters much anyway.

This. Maybe a movie can change that.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

I think Aquaman is no longer a joke - in the comic community.

However, his reputation in mainstream pop culture is still at an all time low. It's going to take more than comics to change that I think. But honestly, I don't mind. Plenty of people don't even know who Shadowman is and I know he's awesome. Same goes for ole Aquaman. Non comic readers don't 'get it' until they have a movie to spell it out for them.