#1 Posted by juggernaut15 (3 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok this topic is strictly about aquaman haters. simply i just want undestand why evry 1 hates or dislikes him so. I -just want evry 1 who unaprciates him to say why u do so

#2 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

two words: Super Friends

#3 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

The Super Friends is pretty much totally to blame

#4 Posted by ratman19 (525 posts) - - Show Bio

i havent heard of any one who flat out hates him.

#5 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1801 posts) - - Show Bio

The Super Friends seriously ruined the character.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen people say "Aquaman is useless" or "Aquaman just talks to fish How lame is that?" Only to later admit that they only know Aquaman from the Super Friends, in which his portrayal was downright terrible.

#6 Posted by JonSmith (3996 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he's widely regarded as useless since he's so bound to water, usually. Other heroes are always in cities, places we can relate to because we know them. Aquaman is in the ocean. There's not a whole lot in the ocean villains generally want to steal. There's not a whole lot of import to destroy. So it's widely regarded as Aquaman doing a whole lot of nothing. What does the ocean need with it's own superhero? Etc.

Also: Super Friends.

************* Super Friends.

#7 Posted by CrimsonCake (2677 posts) - - Show Bio

The Main reason is ignorance.

#8 Posted by Grey56 (751 posts) - - Show Bio

@CrimsonCake: What this man said.

#9 Posted by ImmortalOne (3450 posts) - - Show Bio

@CrimsonCake said:

It's kinda said how biased people can be with their ignorance.

#10 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8859 posts) - - Show Bio

Talking to sea creature is an awesome power!

#11 Posted by nickthedevil (12498 posts) - - Show Bio

Was that English?

#12 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

Psssh everyone hates on popular characters on Comic Vine. Aquaman has one of the best selling comic titles out right now so No not everyone hates him.

#13 Posted by The_Thunderer (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

Psssh everyone hates on popular characters on Comic Vine. Aquaman has one of the best selling comic titles out right now so No not everyone hates him.

Yes.

#14 Posted by TheGraySon (457 posts) - - Show Bio

@CrimsonCake said:

#15 Posted by TheBigRedCheese (372 posts) - - Show Bio

People love making fun of superheroes. Aquaman just happens to get picked on a bit more than others.

#16 Posted by beatboks1 (7231 posts) - - Show Bio

@ratman19 said:

i havent heard of any one who flat out hates him.

Yeah, I think ambivalence is a more apt description. People outside of comics don't really know of the character much except from the Superfriends, superman/Aquaman action hour (which was better but no where near as widely known) of more recently Brave and the Bold.

@JonSmith said:

Because he's widely regarded as useless since he's so bound to water, usually. Other heroes are always in cities, places we can relate to because we know them. Aquaman is in the ocean.

There's not a whole lot in the ocean villains generally want to steal. There's not a whole lot of import to destroy. So it's widely regarded as Aquaman doing a whole lot of nothing. What does the ocean need with it's own superhero? Etc.

Also: Super Friends.

************* Super Friends.

He hasn't been "bound to water for quite some time. He lived in the city of New Venice as far back as the 70's ( a water city much like it's name sake in America). has had numberous land adventures. Spent weeks on end in the desert (hence why I know he's not "bound to the water). Lead a team and operated from Detroit.

Actually the amount of wealth available in the Oceans is as much if not more than on land. There have been quite a few fortunes sunk in ships over the years. Not to mention in DCU there are several underwater cities with technology and wealth to burn. Let's not forget the cities that exist on the water fronts around the world (where most of his adventures actually take place). As for destroy, life on the planet is dependent on water. All water stems from the ocean. Life as we know it relies on the ocean, that plus the sort of damage that can be done to tectonic plates and what that can do, there's a LOT for an ocean hero to do. he has the largest beat on the planet ( water being 3/4 of the planer) and he does it on his own, frankly he should be busier than any other DCU hero.

#17 Posted by JonSmith (3996 posts) - - Show Bio

@beatboks1 said:

He hasn't been "bound to water for quite some time. He lived in the city of New Venice as far back as the 70's ( a water city much like it's name sake in America). has had numberous land adventures. Spent weeks on end in the desert (hence why I know he's not "bound to the water). Lead a team and operated from Detroit.

Actually the amount of wealth available in the Oceans is as much if not more than on land. There have been quite a few fortunes sunk in ships over the years. Not to mention in DCU there are several underwater cities with technology and wealth to burn. Let's not forget the cities that exist on the water fronts around the world (where most of his adventures actually take place). As for destroy, life on the planet is dependent on water. All water stems from the ocean. Life as we know it relies on the ocean, that plus the sort of damage that can be done to tectonic plates and what that can do, there's a LOT for an ocean hero to do. he has the largest beat on the planet ( water being 3/4 of the planer) and he does it on his own, frankly he should be busier than any other DCU hero.

All that information is well and good, and I genuinely appreciate you giving me some new information. But in this regard, facts are less important than perspective. And if you walk up to someone and ask, "Would you rather steal from a bank or a shark?" They'll look at you weird and walk away slowly. But if they decided to answer you, nine times out of ten you'd get the bank. The wide perception is that the ocean is water home to a bunch of fish. It's only important if you're a sailor or live in flood areas. So while there may be a large amount of wealth beneath the sea, it's generally easier for supervillains to just rob a bank (despite how well THAT turns out) rather than go to the trouble of getting deep sea equipment.

As for Aquaman, the 'bound to water' remark was mainly referencing how he gets weaker as he gets more dehydrated. Again, perception is more important than fact, and the perception is that dry land is Aquaman's kryptonite. Out of it, he gets weak quickly and is hence useless. I'm a big fan of Aquaman's comics of late, but that's the mass perception, over simplified. With these perceptions: Nothing in the ocean being worth stealing, and dry land being his kryptonite, Aquaman's regarded as redundant.

"What's that? He's super strong. So is Superman, Wonder Woman, and Martian Manhunter. And they don't get weaker when they're thirsty!"

"Huh? He can leap tall buildings in a single bound? Guess what? Those three guys? THEY FLY. WITHOUT STOPPING FOR A BOTTLE OF WATER."

"Oh, he talks to fish? (not accurate, public perception) Great, let's see him stop a bank robber with it."

You see?

#18 Edited by beatboks1 (7231 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonSmith said:

@beatboks1 said:

All that information is well and good, and I genuinely appreciate you giving me some new information. But in this regard, facts are less important than perspective. And if you walk up to someone and ask, "Would you rather steal from a bank or a shark?" They'll look at you weird and walk away slowly. But if they decided to answer you, nine times out of ten you'd get the bank. The wide perception is that the ocean is water home to a bunch of fish. It's only important if you're a sailor or live in flood areas. So while there may be a large amount of wealth beneath the sea, it's generally easier for supervillains to just rob a bank (despite how well THAT turns out) rather than go to the trouble of getting deep sea equipment.

As for Aquaman, the 'bound to water' remark was mainly referencing how he gets weaker as he gets more dehydrated. Again, perception is more important than fact, and the perception is that dry land is Aquaman's kryptonite. Out of it, he gets weak quickly and is hence useless. I'm a big fan of Aquaman's comics of late, but that's the mass perception, over simplified. With these perceptions: Nothing in the ocean being worth stealing, and dry land being his kryptonite, Aquaman's regarded as redundant.

"What's that? He's super strong. So is Superman, Wonder Woman, and Martian Manhunter. And they don't get weaker when they're thirsty!"

"Huh? He can leap tall buildings in a single bound? Guess what? Those three guys? THEY FLY. WITHOUT STOPPING FOR A BOTTLE OF WATER."

"Oh, he talks to fish? (not accurate, public perception) Great, let's see him stop a bank robber with it."

You see?

All of this ^ ^ was answered by the first part of my statement in the post you replied to

Yeah, I think ambivalence is a more apt description. People outside of comics don't really know of the character much except from the Superfriends, superman/Aquaman action hour (which was better but no where near as widely known) of more recently Brave and the Bold.

As I said in that part he's not hated, he's just not known. If he was those people would know he hasn't gotten weak from being away from water for ages. That he's had a massive healing factor for ages (survives/tanks high explosions, energy blasts, and various weapons). That he could mind rape anyone including high level telepaths (white Martians, Martian manhunter, Kordax). If you add in the water hand version or Neptune trident than he has magic, teleport, weather control, heal others, water constructs, the ability to dehydrate anyone, complete control over water protection from magic. He's beaten guy's who go toe to toe with Superman out of water and miles from it hours after being away from it.

So you see, I did see. I stated so.

#19 Posted by JonSmith (3996 posts) - - Show Bio

@beatboks1 said:

@JonSmith said:

@beatboks1 said:

You see?

All of this ^ ^ was answered by the first part of my statement in the post you replied to

As I said in that part he's not hated, he's just not known. If he was those people would know he hasn't gotten weak from being away from water for ages. That he's had a massive healing factor for ages (survives/tanks high explosions, energy blasts, and various weapons). That he could mind rape anyone including high level telepaths (white Martians, Martian manhunter, Kordax). If you add in the water hand version or Neptune trident than he has magic, teleport, weather control, heal others, water constructs, the ability to dehydrate anyone, complete control over water protection from magic. He's beaten guy's who go toe to toe with Superman out of water and miles from it hours after being away from it.

So you see, I did see. I stated so.

Then I'm afraid we're both right, sir. You're right in that while you state facts, these facts are not well known. I am right in that the public perception of those facts is correct. It's not about what's true or not, it's about what's PERCEIVED as true by the people without actual knowledge of the character. And what's perceived is what I said. Hence, people think he's redundant, so they either hate him or dislike him solely based on their ignorance of the character, and just spiraled downwards from there.

#20 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@CrimsonCake said:

#21 Posted by beatboks1 (7231 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonSmith: Yeah, I shouldn't have assumed that what you stated was your view (the reason for my first reply). It's easy to misinterpret on the internet because we don't get the tone of a spoken statement. I mistakenly thought the view you gave was why you disliked him.

#22 Posted by JonSmith (3996 posts) - - Show Bio

@beatboks1: Nah, dude. I've gotten each of Aquaman's books that I was financially able to since the New 52. I'm not an old time Aquaman fan by any means, but I've really liked what's been done with him since the reboot.

#23 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33432 posts) - - Show Bio

How can one sh!t cartoon from the 1970's ruin a reputation for a lifetime?

#24 Posted by beatboks1 (7231 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

How can one sh!t cartoon from the 1970's ruin a reputation for a lifetime?

That "sh!t cartoon" was probably seen by a million more people than have ever read every Aquaman comic ever printed (and then some, and again), what with re-runs and all. Add to which every pop culture reference to the character clearly references that version.

@JonSmith said:

@beatboks1: Nah, dude. I've gotten each of Aquaman's books that I was financially able to since the New 52. I'm not an old time Aquaman fan by any means, but I've really liked what's been done with him since the reboot.

While I'm enjoying the new series on the character front, I'll be glad when they start showing him with feats more in his classic range. So far he's a little weak and a pussy by comparison. This isn't the Aquaman that almost soloed the JLA (which included WW, MM, Guy Gardner and others), smacked Superboy around, held his own with Lobo, wrecked starbreaker, whiped out a solar powered villain, out swam a concord, ..... he still needs to have his power levels up back up where they once were.

#25 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33432 posts) - - Show Bio
@beatboks1: You know 40% of the world wasn't even born when that cartoon aired
#26 Posted by JonSmith (3996 posts) - - Show Bio

@beatboks1 said:

@JonSmith said:

While I'm enjoying the new series on the character front, I'll be glad when they start showing him with feats more in his classic range. So far he's a little weak and a pussy by comparison. This isn't the Aquaman that almost soloed the JLA (which included WW, MM, Guy Gardner and others), smacked Superboy around, held his own with Lobo, wrecked starbreaker, whiped out a solar powered villain, out swam a concord, ..... he still needs to have his power levels up back up where they once were.

To be fair, isn't EVERYONE who used to have those level feats powered down to a similar level? Seems like the only person who got a boost from this was Batman, since he's incorporating even MORE Stark level tech into his skill set post-52.

#27 Posted by beatboks1 (7231 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

I would say it would be a higher percentage, but with re-runs and airing on pay TV networks around the world It's still been seen by 20 times (at least) the number of people currently alive who have read comics.My 4 year old son has watched it and knows it, he's also seen the superpowers show (the one with Darkseid as main protagonist) and from that loves firestorm.

The point is, it's STILL airing. A pay TV network with over a dozen chanels devoted to children and 5 to cartoons needs to run a lot of old ones.

#28 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33432 posts) - - Show Bio
@beatboks1 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

I would say it would be a higher percentage, but with re-runs and airing on pay TV networks around the world It's still been seen by 20 times (at least) the number of people currently alive who have read comics.My 4 year old son has watched it and knows it, he's also seen the superpowers show (the one with Darkseid as main protagonist) and from that loves firestorm.

The point is, it's STILL airing. A pay TV network with over a dozen chanels devoted to children and 5 to cartoons needs to run a lot of old ones.

Is that in the US? I'm pretty sure it's never aired where I live as I don't think I'v ever watched an episode 
#29 Posted by beatboks1 (7231 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonSmith:

Since all I'm getting besides Aquaman is JLDark (for now - still hoping the pacing improves), Earth 2 (for Now)and Demon Knights I wouldn't have a clue. I dropped just about everything else by the first 3 issues.

Quite frankly I expect in not too long it will only be Deon Knights and Aquaman ( on the fence a LOT on Earth 2, bettter come in strong - but then major Alan SCt, Dr Fate and JSA fanboy here)

#30 Edited by beatboks1 (7231 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous:

No it's not the US, but I have seen it on TV in three or four countries I've been to in the last 8 or 9 years.

Also, you are aware that as of the sensus of 2010 that the American ( U.S) population was less than 5% of the world population. There area also some markets that have only just recently allowed western pop culture into their countries ( former Soviet, and china) and are experiencing older shows for the first time. This is the WorldWW

#31 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29501 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

The Super Friends is pretty much totally to blame

#32 Posted by beatboks1 (7231 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous: Just realized (not sure why I didn't before) it wouldn't even matter if it wasn't on TV. These days the number of people watching shows on TV is dwindling. It's 2013. You can access anything for free on line. Personally I'd spend 4 to 5 hrs on line compared to 1 watching TV. If I want to watch something there I can simply do so exactly when I want to, I'm not restricted by how it's programed. My 6 yr old spends 1/2 as much time on her computer as watching TV ( and she loves TV), even the 4 yr old is starting to hit his more often. Frankly by the time their 8 I wouldn't expect to need a TV, pay TV box or anything. They'll be able to find what they want to watch when they want to on you tube for free. and on you tube, it's there.

#33 Posted by TheCannon (18732 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't get all the Aquaman hating. He may not be the most powerful, but he can do much more than guys like Green Arrow or Hawkman.

#34 Posted by TheBigRedCheese (372 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous: Thanks to Boomerang the young lads around here know about Super Friends and other Hanna-Barbera cartoons