#1 Posted by TheDarkSalmon (38 posts) - - Show Bio

A new friend showed me his collection and it was all over the map. He said he followed his fav writer regardless of character. i agree this method is smarter reading and wallet wise but when Snyder finally does leave Batman i still wanna know his goingons. anyone ever leave their fav character even if they didnt want to infavor of better writing?

#2 Posted by lorbo (1541 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheDarkSalmon said:

A new friend showed me his collection and it was all over the map. He said he followed his fav writer regardless of character. i agree this method is smarter reading and wallet wise but when Snyder finally does leave Batman i still wanna know his goingons. anyone ever leave their fav character even if they didnt want to infavor of better writing?

I don't read comics but I do think that is a smart choice. Each writer has their own specific style that will carry over into all they do. Who cares about Spidey if a horrible writer takes over. I don't care if your fave writer takes over and starts writing for Stickman, it will still be better than a horrible writer writing Spidey or any other famous character for that matter.

#3 Posted by The_Tree (7939 posts) - - Show Bio

I kind of do that. But if a writer I like is writing for a character I don't like, then I'm not going to read that book.

#4 Posted by Trodorne (2498 posts) - - Show Bio

I know When it comes to independent comics I follow writers, it only makes sense to do that. When it comes to the big two. its pretty safe to say nothing really changes in it so you can just follow a character. as much as people say things change in comics.....they don't. Like for myself I love the art of Franco Francevilla so I jumped on to Black Beetle comic from Dark Horse. and the series is awesome cause I love his art and his writing matches his art.

#5 Edited by Skunkstein (591 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmm.. yes and no, i follow some books, because i like the character/characters, but if those books happend to get a horrible writer and the stories start to suck then i either start reading something els or i take a break from the books for a while until other writers come by.

On the other hand if, a talented writer i like starts making something new i may just buy that because its attached to a specific writer - like Talon which i started reading simply because i enjoyed Snyders Batman run... Now, i wont continue reading Talon if the character doesnt interest me, but Snyder alone made me buy the first few issues. The new Superman title coming out sometime this year writen by Snyder and drawn by Jim Lee i will buy 50% because of the team, and 50% because of Superman as a character...

To get back to your question, i dont follow writers specificly, but im much more willing to buy new comics if they are associated to a good creative team. This is the same reason i dont buy Liefeld stuff..... because it sucks, even though i was close at buying issue 1 of Deathstroke that Liefeld made, looking back, it was proberly good that i didnt.

#6 Posted by RideASpaceCowboy (539 posts) - - Show Bio

I just told my comic shop last Wednesday to take Green Lantern off my pull-list after issue #20. If Johns is leaving then so am I.

However, more so than following characters or creators, I'll usually pick up most first issues (if the art isn't absolutely atrocious), and if I like what I read I'll give it a few weeks before adding it to my pull list or dropping it. I didn't expect to be reading Indestructible Hulk or the new Nova, but loved the first issues despite not really having followed the characters or the writers in the past (though of course I've read Kingdom Come, Red Son, and Hush).

#7 Edited by Manwhohaseverything (2092 posts) - - Show Bio

I kinda do both. I read Batman because he's Batman. That Snyder writes it really helps, but I'd buy it regardless. I know this because I have enough Batman books that are poorly written ,and I keep buying them anyhow. The Amazing Spider-Man I bought because it's The Amazing Spider-man, even though I really dislike Dan Slott as a writer. (Even before his Superior Spidey thing, guys a hack IMHO.) But that was a title I felt something for. Soon as they changed the title to "Superior Spider-man", the old nostalgic feeling was gone, and I only got issue #1.

That Mark Waid is writing "Indestructible Hulk" is the only reason I get that book, much like Peter David was the only reason I bought Hulk back in the 90's. Snyder was the only reason I picked up "Swamp Thing." Once he's gone, I'll probably drop it.That Snyder writes American Vampire makes me kinda want to get it, but my dislike of "Undead stories"> than my fanboyism of Snyder.

#8 Posted by TheDarkSalmon (38 posts) - - Show Bio

Kirkman is never leaving Invincible so im safe there. This idea is hard for me grasp only because i like to know everything even after the epic arc say Snyder or Hickman leave behind. also breaks my wallet because even after a high quality writer joins a book around ish 25, i have to buy back issues even if they are bad for the whole picture.

#9 Posted by RideASpaceCowboy (539 posts) - - Show Bio

@RideASpaceCowboy said:

I just told my comic shop last Wednesday to take Green Lantern off my pull-list after issue #20. If Johns is leaving then so am I.

I'll probably be dropping Action Comics when Morrison leaves as well.

#10 Posted by Mighty Thorion (797 posts) - - Show Bio

I sometimes do that - it's clear that sometimes a certain writer has a certain "feel" for a certain character (Johns on Green Lantern, Waid on Flash). Also I know some fans who follow artists so they would buy anything featuring the work of Ditko, Steranko, Adams, Byrne, Lee or whoever their favourite artist was.

#11 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

If I had more money I would as well as reading just the appearances of my five favourite characters.

#12 Posted by Mercy_ (91871 posts) - - Show Bio
@Skunkstein

Hmmm.. yes and no, i follow some books, because i like the character/characters, but if those books happend to get a horrible writer and the stories start to suck then i either start reading something els or i take a break from the books for a while until other writers come by.

On the other hand if, a talented writer i like starts making something new i may just buy that because its attached to a specific writer - like Talon which i started reading simply because i enjoyed Snyders Batman run... Now, i wont continue reading Talon if the character doesnt interest me, but Snyder alone made me buy the first few issues. The new Superman title coming out sometime this year writen by Snyder and drawn by Jim Lee i will buy 50% because of the team, and 50% because of Superman as a character...

To get back to your question, i dont follow writers specificly, but im much more willing to buy new comics if they are associated to a good creative team. This is the same reason i dont buy Liefeld stuff..... because it sucks, even though i was close at buying issue 1 of Deathstroke that Liefeld made, looking back, it was proberly good that i didnt.

Exactly this.