Avatar image for sebastianhoward64
sebastianhoward64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By sebastianhoward64

Anyone here read this? I really am growing attached to this book and Spider Jerusalem is just such a werido badass that you have to love him even though he's high more than Towlie. My favorite moment is when he got so high he thought he was Jesus because he was wearing Air Jesus shoes that let you walk on water. One question though, why are women so opposed toward having sex with Spider? He doesn't really look like a bad looking dude. By the way for anyone who cares you can buy his ridiculously cool looking shades online for the low price of eighty dollars. I know, what a steal.

Avatar image for johnkmccubbin91
johnkmccubbin91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 672

User Lists: 103

#2  Edited By johnkmccubbin91

I read them a couple of years ago

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By longbowhunter

Never read Transmetropolitan or Planetary for that matter. Warren Ellis is a great writer but not always my cup of tea.

Matchstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Matchstick

Transmetro is still one of my all time favorites! I actually got the shades for my birthday one year and still have them laying around somewhere. As for why women are keen on sleeping with him, well he's basically a bald Pete Doherty. Not a lady killer by any means..

I wished they were more issues to read. For awhile I thought they were going to do a spin off with Yelena, but no such luck.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Billy Batson

Of course. One of the top 10 Vertigo titles and it's also Ellis' magnum opus. Why wouldn't someone read it?
BB

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By dernman

Nope and I never will. Nyehehehehe

sebastianhoward64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sebastianhoward64

@Matchstick: What is your profile picture of? Looks like Punisher as a superhero or something. @Dernman: You really should check it out, its pretty well written. @Billy Batson: Some people just don't read things, like they'll be good and they know its good but they'll just put it off or never read it sometimes. I was wondering how popular it actually is too which is part of the reason I made this post. Also comics are subjective so I imagine that someone out there has some reason they don't like it, I mean there's always someone that doesn't like something, always. I actually wasn't going to read it but then they kept on advertising it when I was re-reading Preacher and my friend told me to read it too so the combination of these things got me to read it. Pretty happy though, its just so unconventional story telling wise and differs so greatly from Preacher.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Billy Batson

@sebastianhoward64:

Yeah, most of Vertigo's series don't get much attention (apart from the Sandman/Swamp Thing, them being Gaiman and Moore) than your regular mainstream titles.

The series got finished, had one-shots, collected and the trades got a second printing so it was a pretty popular series coming from Vertigo.

Plenty of great stuff from Vertigo. The imprint rarely disappoints :)

BB

sebastianhoward64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sebastianhoward64

I've always wanted to read the old Swamp Thing but I never have because I just have so many comics to read. Sandman... I like it a lot but I feel its kind of overrated honestly. Its just that you have these asshole critics that write about the book and they jack off over it talking about how great it is, and how its better than every other comic and I'm pretty sure these idiots haven't even read too many other comics. The story is good but its kind of hard to get connected to Sandman because he's just so out there and he's not human so you have no idea how he thinks or what he's going to do a lot of the time. The comics good but its not THE BEST COMIC EVER OMG! y'know?

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By TDK_1997

No but I'm planning to read it soon.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By the_tree

I have, it's easily Ellis' best work, and one of my personal favorite series. Spider is such a great and unforgettable character.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#12  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@sebastianhoward64:

@Matchstick: What is your profile picture of? Looks like Punisher as a superhero or something.

lol Punisher, that is Kevin Matchstick aka The Mage, pretty good comic back in the day.

sebastianhoward64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The_Tree: He really is, I'm really digging the political themes too. The only thing that pissed me off was in one of the issues with a guest writers one of them said wrestling was for the unintelligent or something equally stupid, I'm a huge wrestling fan and these people who go off about how bad it is when they don't even know how it works are just so damn hypocritical. Anyway, I'm getting off subject, the point is don't steal Spider's drugs.

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By RoboShark

It's on my long list of things to read.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@Billy Batson said:

The imprint rarely disappoints :)

BB

they disappoint people all the time when they end stuff too early: Unknown Soldier, Greek Street, Vinyl Underground, Young Lovers, Madame Xanadu, Testament, Exterminators and Losers. They've also put out some terrible stuff like Sea Guy, Life During Wartime, Crossing Midnight, User and Un-Men.

Edited to add: I forgot Air, god awful.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Billy Batson

@pikahyper said:

@Billy Batson said:

The imprint rarely disappoints :)

BB

they disappoint people all the time when they end stuff too early: Unknown Soldier, Greek Street, Vinyl Underground, Young Lovers, Madame Xanadu, Testament, Exterminators and Losers. They've also put out some terrible stuff like Sea Guy, Life During Wartime, Crossing Midnight, User and Un-Men.

Meant quality wise.

The bad stuff that you mentioned are minis or short series any anyways so meh :p

BB

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@Billy Batson: Life During Wartime was 15, Crossing Midnight 19, Air 24 and since you are gonna push the subject 100 Bullets 100 issues.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Billy Batson

@pikahyper:

100 Bullets > your favorite series

BB

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@Billy Batson: 100 Bullets is trumped up way too much, compare the first twenty or so issues to the rest of the series and its like night and day, it went massively downhill.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Billy Batson

@pikahyper said:

@Billy Batson: 100 Bullets is trumped up way too much, compare the first twenty or so issues to the rest of the series and its like night and day, it went massively downhill.

That's just having a bad taste. It just got better.

BB

Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Crash_Recovery

I read a bit of it, but didn't get into it too much. I did enjoy the story about the woman that wakes from cryosleep, though.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@Billy Batson: pfff

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Billy Batson

@pikahyper:

You know it's true. I could write a long response but it would get a little off-topic so nah.
BB

Hatutzeraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hatutzeraze

Transmetropolitan is one of the long-form Vertigo stories that really paid off at the end. I'd agree with one of the earlier posters in regarding it as Warren Ellis' best comic work to date.

I was fortunate enough (old enough?) to be buying it from the outset in comic form and still own every issue.

I work at a comic shop that has to run things pretty tight in terms of which inventory we can keep in stock and what we cannot, and the boss has zero problems keeping the entire run of Transmetropolitan on the shelf at all times. It's a classic run that can always find new readers.

sebastianhoward64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hatutzeraze: That's actually pretty cool, the story is quit interesting with good characters and such. I want to know though how is working at a comic shop? Do you get a lot of the same questions from people? Does it get dull? Any perks?

Hatutzeraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Hatutzeraze

Generally, it's pretty cool working at a comic shop. My favorite part is when people ask about comics, especially those who aren't too deep into them. When a customer leaves thinking there's this whole new world of entertainment that has been mostly invisible to them, but is now on their radar, that's a pretty good feeling. It's also pretty great to talk to folks who come back after reading something I recommended.

It can get dull on occasion, but I'm only there about 15 hours a week, so it doesn't usually have enough time to get dull. Since we are also a game store, probably three-fourths of the questions are about something other than comics. As far as perks go, I guess the employee discount is pretty nice. But honestly, getting paid to talk to customers about games and comics is the biggest perk.