Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

I was wondering if I am alone when it comes to movies. Every time I hear about a new comic movie adaption, sequel, prequel or remake it makes me roll my eyes. I know tons of people are excited to hear about comic movies and like to discuss which actor should play a role, but where are the people like me who are totally drained when it comes to movies?

Usually the plot of the movies are thin. Continuity is changed. They are ruled by special effects, which sell the movie, not the story. Some look really good, others really bad. Does anyone else miss the days when if they were going to show something in a movie blow up they actually had to blow something up? 

Also the theater experience is just plain awful. The ticket prices go up every month and so do the refreshments. My TV looks better than the screen. My surround sound is louder. And I don't have to listen to peoples comments or telephone calls. On average, I would say I go see a movie in the theater once every two years. I think the last movie I saw was the Dark Knight, and it was OK. Before that I saw Revenge of the Sith and was totally disappointed with the theater experience.

I'm not trying to hate on anyone who loves the movies or gets excited to hear their favorite character is coming to the big screen. It just seems like it is really blowing up lately and I wanted to know if anyone else is as bored with it as I am.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

I'm sick of Hollywood movies that's why I watch imported Martial Arts movies.They never let me down.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

You have two choices:

1. Go to the theaters 2 weeks after the film you want to see comes out. Some theaters have discounted tickets, or a reward package that may give you the chance to see a flick in the theater more than 2 weeks for free. Plus, you don't have to deal with people talking or texting on their cell phones.
  2. Broaden your horizons. Comic book films are usually a 50/50 split when it comes to quality because they are an adaptation, not a direct translation, and on top of that, they were made for a mass audience, not just for the average comic book reader. Let's be honest, most sci-fi films end up being disappointments anyways. I suggest watching classic films. Films back from the cinema golden age. There may not be as much sci-fi or super-hero stuff, but the high quality of that time period will make you forget about it.
Hollywood works with movie trends, and we're either at the tail-end or right in the middle of the comic book movie explosion since Spiderman 1 made giant bank. Plus, it's the summer. Most of the summer movies are not actually good. They're popcorn popping blow-up summer fest bonanzas.
Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

I certainly watch older films. As far as new ones, I wait for them to come on the movie channels.

Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Aronmorales

ya know, I am getting kinda tired of comic-adapted movies, now it's like every movie coming out was originally a comic.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@Aronmorales said:
" ya know, I am getting kinda tired of comic-adapted movies, now it's like every movie coming out was originally a comic. "
Not really.
Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Aronmorales

oh?

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

In these next two weeks, we have two that I know of: Whiteout & Surrogates. 
At least Hollywood is moving farther and farther away from the super-hero stuff.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@Aronmorales said:
" oh? "
What was the last comic movie you saw?
Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Aronmorales

Wasn't Jennifer's body a comic or did it get a comic?

Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Aronmorales
@Vance Astro: Let's see, that'd have to be Watchmen, why?
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@Aronmorales said:
" @Vance Astro: Let's see, that'd have to be Watchmen, why? "
How long ago was that? It's on DVD now so i know it was quite a while.Comic movies are getting their shine but it's not like every other movie that comes out each month is comic related.
inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
@Aronmorales said:
" Wasn't Jennifer's body a comic or did it get a comic? "
It was made into a comic after production wrapped up, so it technically doesn't count
Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Aronmorales
@inferiorego: Oh.

@Vance Astro:
It'd seemed like that to me.
Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Decept-O

I undertand your sentiment.  I am hard pressed to find a reason to go to a movie theatre these days for reasons you've mentioned plus plenty more.  However, I still enjoy seeing movies quite a bit, its something I consider to be fun, but again you've got to take the good with the bad.   

Inferiorego brought up some good points.  I don't know about where you live, but where I live there is a movie theatre that shows movies that have been out for awhile, and they are usually at $3.00-5.00 per showing.   

I would have been disappointed had I not seen Batman: The Dark Knight at the theatre, same goes for Iron Man and Hulk.  Seeing these characters and the action play out in larger than life was worth the price to me.   I only go to theatres now for a movie that is either comic book or sci-fi/fantasy themed.  If there's something that doesn't fall into these categories,  I will wait for them to show up on DVD, depending on the buzz.  Like Eastern Promises, a movie I'd heard good buzz about and finally rented it, was not disappointed.    

Hard to give advice just saying how I watch movies maybe its a bit of a help, don't know.    

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By danhimself

My theater only charges 4 bucks for the matinees so I go to movies all the time

Agent Buttons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Agent Buttons
@Vance Astro said:
"I'm sick of Hollywood movies that's why I watch imported Martial Arts movies.They never let me down. "

Chocolate was amazing
box turtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By box turtle

I love all these movies.  Keep them coming. 
Avatar image for thesavageassasin
TheSavageAssasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By TheSavageAssasin
@danhimself said:
" My theater only charges 4 bucks for the matinees so I go to movies all the time "
Yea same hear and like Decept-O said i have theaters here that show movie that have been out a while for like 2.50-3.50 all day and all night
burr787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By burr787

There's a theater by me that shows most month old movies for $3. Most of the time I don't care about non comic book movies. I havn't seen origins, Watchmen was pretty good, but  G.I. Joe was really good.