Anyone else not like Thanos Rising? (Spoilers?)

RustyNail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I got Thanos Rising knowing it was a origin story and gave it a read and I just felt like they missed alot of stuff around Thanos character and the planet titans history as well and stuff. Like it didn't touch on ANYTHING about how the Eternals were natives from Earth that left for Titan and established a civilization and society there and stuff and developed all this technology and even dabbled in magic.

Which is another thing, I've never seen anywhere, and please someone help me out, but I've never seen Thanos use magic even though his bio says he has and in infinity abyss he says he has. But I've never actually seen it in a comic.

It doesn't explain anything about the origin or whatnot about his armor, or why he wears it.

Like I mentioned above it doesn't mention anything about why or when Eternals used magic, or when they where worshipping death and stuff.

It shows where he uses energy blast and says "energy manipulation success" but thats it nothing more, not how he amped himself magically, bionically or otherwise.

And I felt like they tried to make him a little too "human" if thats the word, during his younger years.

And I understand comics have inconsistencies, and this one is no exception.

The only thing about the story I thought was pretty neat was you get to see more of the relationship between death and thanos, and how thanos earns his title the mad titan. Other than that I wasn't really impressed with the book, other than the artwork was good too I guess.

kingofnerds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The plot about death seducing him was nice tho it goes contrary to how we have known death to never actually speak to him up until AFTER infinity gauntlet and into the infinity war stuff. It was hardly an epic story and did little other than give credence to the idea of Thanos whoring around and having kids contrau to even MORE of everything we have ever been lead to believe.

RustyNail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingofnerds:

Yeah the whole going around impregnating women thorough out the galaxy was just stupid IMO, I think that ties in with the Infinity Storyline somewhere, I don't know yet as I haven't read the whole story. But haven't they already touched on this notion of Thanos having a child in the Celestial Quest story? Yeah and I remember that too, death not speaking to him until after the gaunlet.

Hyperlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@rustynail: yeah they should have talked about more of his eternal lineage, and even his family. Would have been cool if zuras would have visited mentor or something. Or even some flashbacks with their father chronos

bobandjim1260

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By bobandjim1260

I personally think that Thanos's past is a bit of a convoluted mystery. After wielding the Infinity Gauntlet and making several "life-assuring wishes" before losing it (which is something I guess he saw coming when he had the gauntlet), time traveling, and becoming the Avatar of Death (which made him exempt from any possible future until it happened, as that's why cosmic entities can't see or predict his next actions or look into his mind); I feel like nobody really knows Thanos's real past. If we go exclusively by what Jim Starlin wrote, Thanos was a clever and mischievous young child who killed two people in worship of the concept of death. He had seen her once when he was very young. He was discovered worshiping death and was exiled/left on his own. He left Titan at a rather young age and matured for eight decades before returning to Titan and bombing everything, killing his mother. Ultimately, Thanos rising actually tells a very close tale with some subtle differences. The biggest thing they changed were the characters of Thanos and Death. I didn't really enjoy their take on the relationship of the relationship between them. I always found it more fascinating that Thanos had an obsession to impress someone he could never impress, and Death being death, constantly slightly spurring him to go after her only to shut him down again. One could argue that eventually Death began rejecting him after leading him on after all these years. What bothers me about Thanos's character is that he seems very unaware of things. A little bit too overconfident, arrogant, weak, etc. The writing seemed like it was trying to make him far more creepy than he normally is. In Starlin's work the creepy is very subtle and hidden under a seemingly emotionless demeanor. Essentially, I didn't get the cool, calculating, tactician; I got a very moody teenager, or an overdramatic character. It is possible, that since we are seeing him in the beginning that this is what he was like. However, I'd really like to think not. The sleeping around was just kind of silly. Especially since he burned Nebula's skin off for claiming to be his granddaughter due to the fact that he said he had never shamed death by courting with anything less than her.