• 53 results
Avatar image for negativecreep94
Negativecreep94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I was on the bus today, coming home from my classes and I pull out an Amazing Spider-man comicbook and started reading it. This older dude looks at me and says, "Really, how old are you 18/19?, and you are reading a comic book, i never seen a black dude read a comic book". I just laughed in his face and went on with my day. Any one else ever had to deal with this type of thing, being a comicbook fan?

sync1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I read comics at home.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

No, and I read comics in public fairly often.

Used to be I'd read trades or singles, now I'm either reading them on my phone or laptop.

You just encountered a douchebag, that's all.

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been harassed, laughed at and just short of assaulted for reading comics in public.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AllStarSuperman

@sync1 said:

I read comics at home.

Negativecreep94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Negativecreep94
MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MonsterStomp
@sync1 said:

I read comics at home.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By lightsout

Perhaps in black/african-american culture there's still the stigma that comics are for kids? (Not that it's 100% gone with white folks, but I think it's definitely not as prevalent as it used to me. it's much more mainstream).

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crom_cruach: That's just messed up.

It's nothing, I've also had women come up to me and tell me "You're never going to have a girlfriend", then go back to laugh and point with the rest of their b*tch squad.

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I never take my comics out of the house except once with my trade of Green Lantern: Rebirth. My friends questioned why I valued a $10 book so much. They'll never understand.

Negativecreep94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crom_cruach: I've had girls say that to me and think they know me so well. They would be shocked to know i do have a girlfriend, and will be getting married in July. They don't know anything.

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crom_cruach: I've had girls say that to me and think they know me so well. They would be shocked to know i do have a girlfriend, and will be getting married in July. They don't know anything.

Eh, events like this, combined with being a history major, following the news and reading a lot have sufficed to convinced me that the vast majority of human beings are worthy of nothing more then contempt and not worth my time.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By cameron83

I was on the bus today, coming home from my classes and I pull out an Amazing Spider-man comicbook and started reading it. This older dude looks at me and says, "Really, how old are you 18/19?, and you are reading a comic book, i never seen a black dude read a comic book". I just laughed in his face and went on with my day. Any one else ever had to deal with this type of thing, being a comicbook fan?

That's....disturbing. I mourn that there are still remnants of people like this in society.

1. Because he assumes that comics are for children. I mean,his ignorance knows absolutely no bounds.Barely any modern comics are for children. Maybe he needs to pull his ignorant ass out of 1966. He must be one of those dumbasses that only base their comic book knowledge on movies and society stereotypes (e.g,the type of people that hate aquaman or don't give him any respect,yet they have never even seen a comic in their life,all because they base their comic book knowledge on media,usually ones that are meant for comedy,like family guy).

2. Does he just think that all black people are static and act universal? Does he think that all black people like certain things in common?Does he think that black people are supposed to be thuggish or something? I f*cking hate when idiotic simple-minded retards try to make it seem as if race actually determines anything about someone.

Grrr.......

Okay....I'm calm

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By lightsout

@cameron83: Don't wanna be "that guy" (especially b/c I know you're a chill user & respect your posts), but I feel using "retard" undermines your point of claiming someone else is closed minded. Plenty of words to criticize the jerk from the story that aren't slurs for mentally challenged people. (And again, don't mean to be overly critical about this :) )

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

not to my face, i would have just googled pics of black nerds and showed him, then i would have showed him donald glover and hopsin to finish it off.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron83: Don't wanna be "that guy" (especially b/c I know you're a chill user & respect your posts), but I feel using "retard" undermines your point of claiming someone else is closed minded. Plenty of words to criticize the jerk from the story that aren't slurs for mentally challenged people. (And again, don't mean to be overly critical about this :) )

I know,I was kinda in a state of intense,blind rage. Especially because I was arguing with someone on a different site that said something incredibly dumb.

I was actually questioning whether I should use that word,but anger got the best of me today. In fact,I really do need to get a hold of my anger because I broke my door 3 days ago because of it.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron83: Ah, understood (and "glad" that you did notice that yourself). And your response was everything I'd expect out of you (ie: good, lol). Ouch! Well, good luck with finding your center :)

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron83: Ah, understood (and "glad" that you did notice that yourself). And your response was everything I'd expect out of you (ie: good, lol). Ouch! Well, good luck with finding your center :)

And don't worry,I couldn't feel the pain until like 15 minutes later

DoomDoomDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 10

Used to be I'd read trades or singles, now I'm either reading them on my phone or laptop.

Pretty much this.

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been harassed, laughed at and just short of assaulted for reading comics in public.

Where do you live? (0.o Not in a creepy way, just a basic idea...) I'm just curious if their complete opposite types of areas.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've been called a geek and had the "only children read comics" thing, but it doesn't bother me. Ignorant idiots will be ignorant idiots no matter what..

Seems like you ran into one of those ass-hats who will take any topic they know nothing about and come to a quick conclusion about it, usually a negative one or something for them to poke fun at. It's what idiots who have low self esteem and a constant need for validation do. You can translate your encounter to "I need to feel self important, so I'm going to shove my uneducated opinion down your throat in order to seem knowledgeable and impressive, despite the fact I do nothing productive or creative in my spare time, probably never will, probably won't make much of myself and will probably be suck in a crappy low paying job in a cramped house eating junk food and watching movies off the internet I can barely pay for for free because Netflix is too expensive and I'm also a bit of a bellend"

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By InnerVenom123
SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SmoothJammin

*sighs* yes... at work once on my lunch break. Then I got my co-worker hooked on court of owls.

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@negativecreep94: so he had a problem with your perceived age and with your race? He was a moron. Probably doesn't read much either. People who don't read often are usually ignorants.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Some people need to relax. Yes the guy said a couple of stupid things. We all say stupid things or think stupid things at one point or another.

Avatar image for the_jackolantern
The_jackolantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ive had it a couple time when I get my monthlys delivered to the ship when im away in the navy but I normally just let them have a look at a batman issue and they are interested and stop being idiots

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

@negativecreep94: what a weirdo to say that to you. What was he even going on about it lol Pay no attention to haters.

I hate when people assume comics are for children.

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only my grandma once told me "Ugh, what an ugly thing to read" and that was when I was a little kid. Also my father said something hurtfull when I was in middle school, but that's just because that generation knew comic books to be made for kids.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I rarely ever have strangers approach me in public. People say I have a look on my face like I'm about to go on a shooting spree. It's just a look I put on so stupid shit like this doesn't happen to me. Because it used to happen far too often.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

I have only in recent years found anyone in the real world (outside of a comic shop) that also liked comics, and would talk about them openly. I still shy away from public, face-to-face discussions of comics...it's just the way I grew up. But I'm changing that, a little at a time. Basically, I had to come to the realization that my hobby means more to me than other folks' opinions, so I carry on whether others approve or not.

Modern movies help, because of course, millions like those. When you point out that the comics they came from are being written and drawn by professional adults who are getting paid to produce them, and maybe follow that up with examples of the merchandising potential of a property that's gone comic-to-screen, it usually puts a crack in their preconceptions.

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sync1 said:

I read comics at home.

HeckTate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 7

I've never had to deal with that, but it might be in part because I'm a pretty nerdy looking white guy, when I pull out some comic books it's like everyone nearby was waiting for it.

green_skaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sync1 said:

I read comics at home.

GodTriggerHulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crom_cruach:

If it's not too painful would you mind recounting the just short of assaulted story? I gots to know.

I play Heroclix at school and some people just can't wrap their heads around it.

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 2

Never dealt with this crap.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

Some people need to relax. Yes the guy said a couple of stupid things. We all say stupid things or think stupid things at one point or another.

Why are you defending douchebags who harass people over comics?

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@dernman said:

Why are you defending douchebags who harass people over comics?

Who's defending anyone? I admitted he said something stupid. I'm just saying people are overreacting and it was nowhere in the realm of harassment. It was two ignorant comments that ended there with them moving on with their life. They didn't even argue over it. Get a grip.

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Ironically, I know more adults in real life that read comics than people under 18. So its actually more an adult thing to read comics than for kids.

ghost_runner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm very open about my love of comics. If anyone tries to berate me about it, I'm thankfully witty enough to humiliate them, simply by talking.

Cold4NoReason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Cold4NoReason

I'm a 28 yr. old mixed black male who still reads comics. I read them every Wednesday in public before adding them to my collection and also read them through my phone at work. More than half of my closet is filled with superhero t-shirts that I wear on a regular basis.

I generally don't get bothered with such remarks. Most people who question my comic reading end up picking up/reading series themselves. I've enlightened 3 co-workers and 1 friend to support Comics.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: Misread your post - I thought you were talking in general and not just about the OP. Apologies.

(Hey...that means you were right! Look at you being right over there. :P)

TommyJones1945

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@negativecreep94:

Sorry you had to go through that crap. Sth similar like that happened to me a while ago while I was playing Black2. I mostly read comics at home or in the library if it helps.

CIN.

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm very open about my love of comics. If anyone tries to berate me about it, I'm thankfully witty enough to humiliate them, simply by talking.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

What's funny is the same people who make fun of people who read comics are the same people who read books like Twilight. It's somehow childish to read comics about Superman, Batman, or Spider-Man yet reading a "novel" about sparkly vampires is perfectly fine. lol

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Crom-Cruach

@crom_cruach:

If it's not too painful would you mind recounting the just short of assaulted story? I gots to know.

It's nothing reakky special or a big deal. Here I was reading a Superman Comic while chilling in the hall and the school bullies decided they were (again) going to make my left miserable. They, grabbed my comics and started to move to beat me up (again) this time for reading comics in the hall. Luckily (this time) there were teachers around so it never reaches physical violence.

Avatar image for thetruebarryallen
TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm known as 'Flash' on my College Campus.

Everyone knows I read and love comics, but nobody has ever really said anything about it.

I got some crap for being an Aquaman fan once though, so I guess that counts?

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crom_cruach: HA! b*%# squad. Hilarious.

On Subject:

YeaH MetH Has Had tHat Happen before. It's normal. THere are 4$$#073's everywHere.

-Abstract 4$$#073-

GodTriggerHulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers