#1 Posted by AmazingFantasy15 (259 posts) - - Show Bio

Do any of you think there will be another comic book writer or artist who will have the impact on Comic books that Stan Lee or jack Kirby had?

#2 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

like, being able to pull good characters out of their butt like it was nothing? Doubt it

#3 Posted by Dernman (15071 posts) - - Show Bio

Lee's creations were mostly with the help of others that didn't nearly get the credit he did and I'll say this even though I'll get flack for it.  
Kirby meh

#4 Posted by roboadmiral (546 posts) - - Show Bio

The think with the classic pairs (Lee and Kirby, Siegel and Schuster, Kane and Finger) is that there was nothing when they started. Sure, there were a few pulp characters, but superheroes weren't a thing. At this point nearly everything has been done and we're trying to find variations to keep it fresh.

For a second Lee and Kirby there would need to be a new, unprecedented thing like superheroes were back then.

#5 Posted by ImmortalOne (3433 posts) - - Show Bio

Carl Barks and Don Rosa, maybe.

#6 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

@roboadmiral said:

The think with the classic pairs (Lee and Kirby, Siegel and Schuster, Kane and Finger) is that there was nothing when they started. Sure, there were a few pulp characters, but superheroes weren't a thing. At this point nearly everything has been done and we're trying to find variations to keep it fresh.

For a second Lee and Kirby there would need to be a new, unprecedented thing like superheroes were back then.

#7 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@Superguy0009e said:

@roboadmiral said:

not that true for Lee and Kirby though, since they were the last. They had the most difficult job since DC had already gone through their Golden Age. still, yeah, that's one of the reasons why they could pull characters out of their butt fairly easy

#8 Posted by Z3RO180 (6522 posts) - - Show Bio

If I had to pick my favourites it would be. DC - Writers - scot lodbell , Scott Snyder Tom duel something Artists - jim lee Kenneth Rockford The dude that does batman and rb silva Marvel - Jonathan Hickman and esad ridic

#9 Edited by Manbehindthewires (344 posts) - - Show Bio

The late great Joe Kubert was truly an artists artist, so although he doesn't directly influence the fans; he has influenced generations of artists reading his comics, and further generations at his art academy in Jersey. He famously made his students practice on cardboard so they couldn't erase their mistakes.

#10 Edited by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

@AmazingFantasy15 said:

Do any of you think there will be another comic book writer or artist who will have the impact on Comic books that Stan Lee or jack Kirby had?

There have been Tons! some Modern era examples are Alex Ross/Robert Kirkman.

There will never be another Jack Kirby per-say.

Rob Liefield is a more talented modern version version of Stan Lee.

#11 Posted by Chronus (1115 posts) - - Show Bio

Robert Kirkman and Mike Mignola.

#12 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

John Broome and Gardner Fox created quite a few.

#13 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

Steve Ditko, John Romita Sr, Alan Moore (Yes he's an ass but an influential one) and quite a few others have been almost as influential as Lee and Kirby but Kirby will always be the King and Lee will always be the most memorable. Honestly there are many better and more influential writers than Lee but the dude is the world's greatest pitch man which is whether you admit it or not is why Marvel became actual competition for DC.

#14 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

Steve Ditko, John Romita Sr, Alan Moore (Yes he's an ass but an influential one) and quite a few others have been almost as influential as Lee and Kirby but Kirby will always be the King and Lee will always be the most memorable. Honestly there are many better and more influential writers than Lee but the dude is the world's greatest pitch man which is whether you admit it or not is why Marvel became actual competition for DC.

Bold part is just not true. Kirby created marketable characters and Marvel used a more realistic and relate-able approach to compete with DC.

Alan Moore has created characters and transformed the Industry much like Frank Miller. Stan Lee is the ass. If you dislike Alan Moore you simply don't understand the medium.

#15 Posted by TheSwordsman (1954 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

@turoksonofstone: I give Kirby loads of credit for what he did for comics but when he had trouble selling these ideas to Marvel in the first place Lee was right there selling the s**t out of it. That's actually the reason Lee tends to get the lion's share of the credit, not because he deserved it more its just that he was the guy going at the people in charge like a used car salesman on meth.

#17 Posted by Squalleon (4607 posts) - - Show Bio

Even though he wasn't a writer or an artist Julie Schwartz was the editor behind the Silver Age of DC!

Also @ImmortalOne said:

Carl Barks

#18 Posted by chalkshark (1188 posts) - - Show Bio

No. It's a failing industry, with a product priced out of the hands of the impressionable youth market that took to it so readily in the Silver Age. There's so much media out there competing for attention, that it's hard for any one thing to fire up and capture the imaginations of an entire generation. The idea of a new comics publisher starting up with a collaborative team creating new intellectual properties, that become beholden to an all new fan base, is improbable, at best. There's also been a bigger push for creator owned content, which, while great for the individual creator, doesn't tend to lend itself to the partnership of a Lee/KIrby or Lee/Ditko.The interest doesn't seem to be there, either. As much as today's creators want to leave their mark with their own intellectual property, a great majority of them will drop everything for a chance to play in either the DC or Marvel Universe.

#19 Posted by Freefa11 (2358 posts) - - Show Bio

Unlikely. Lee and Kirby basically changed the way our culture looked at and accepted comics as a whole. Doing that now would take something amazingly revolutionary. So many different ideas and approaches have been tried at this point, that something truly new and unique, that actually catches on, is going to be pretty difficult. Another factor, IMO, is that Marvel and DC are now fully corporate entities, which means there's going to be a lot more corporate inertia and editorial mangling than what I think Lee and Kirby had to deal with.

Now, with indie publishing, it could be possible for a brilliant writer to just publish his own comic, but then there's no exposure and it is likely to just get lost in a sea of other indie-published works. Plus, comics these days tend to feel overpriced to the average consumer, considering how quickly a lot of them can be read, and they are competing with other entertainment media much more than they were in the 60's. I mean, there are any number of games available for mobile devices now in the $5 range (or even free) that can keep you occupied for hours and hours, not to mention things like netflix and youtube.

@joshmightbe said:

@turoksonofstone: That's actually the reason Lee tends to get the lion's share of the credit, not because he deserved it more its just that he was the guy going at the people in charge like a used car salesman on meth.

I would actually say that's worth plenty of credit on its own, because Lee actually got things done and made them work.

Look, no disrespect to Kirby, but he got his chance to show what he could do when he went to DC, and he came up with some really interesting stuff with the 4th world, but ultimately, it all just petered out. As cool as his creations and initial concepts were, he just couldn't sustain it on his own or make it a runaway success. The energy, enthusiasm, and style Lee put into his writing are what made all those early creations successful. It's not like the comics industry specifically needed a guy who could stick to walls and pretend he was a spider to come along to save it, or a family foursome led by a human rubber-band (I mean, seriously, that's got to be one of the lamest powers ever for a team leader). Those characters could have been just about anything or anyone, and they could have been created by anyone, but Lee made them work for the readers, and that's why we wound up with hundreds and hundreds of issues of Spiderman, Fantastic Four, Avengers, et al, and only around a dozen of New Gods and Eternals.

I'm not saying he could have done it alone; obviously every writer needs an artist, and guys like Kirby and Ditko certainly brought the characters to life and added their own creative touches, but if Image Comics confirmed anything for the industry, it's that even comics with awesome artwork and cool looking characters are going to have problems selling more than a dozen issues if the writing is terrible. Lee wrote stories that kept people coming back to the same characters for years and years, so I think he does deserve a lot of credit for making Marvel successful.

#20 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

@Freefa11: Only problem with your statement here, even Stan admits that most of the time he just plotted the stories and most of the actual dialogue was added in by the artists and other writers.

#21 Edited by Pyrogram (37969 posts) - - Show Bio

We need atleast 6 more leobs

#22 Posted by impossibilly (886 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman said:

Kirby meh

@turoksonofstone said:

I had a small aneurysm after reading each of these two comments.

#23 Posted by Dernman (15071 posts) - - Show Bio
@impossibilly said:

@Dernman said:

Kirby meh

@turoksonofstone said:

I had a small aneurysm after reading each of these two comments.

You're welcome.
#24 Posted by judasnixon (6584 posts) - - Show Bio

Brian Wood, that man is writing everything right now. I don't know how he does it? It doesn't matter what genre the title is, he'll write it. Dmz, X-Men, Northlander, Star wars, Local, Conan, The Massive, Demo, Channel Zero, Supermarket, the list just goes on, and on.