American Comics and Anime/Manga characters

Hyperlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Hyperlight

I've noticed a big difference between comic book characters, anime/manga characters, and hw they go about gaining there powers....

Let me start by mentioning the concept of the peak human. In American comics, specifically DC and Marvel, people have a physical and mental maximum that that they are capable of achieving without outside influence. Captain America and Batman's bodies are only capable of so much because at the end of the day they are only men... and cannot get any more powerful through training because they have already reached their body's limits. Unless their is something that can make a human better wether it be tech, genetic variation (X-Gene, metagene, etc), or mystical enhancements... humans in american comics cant becoming superhumans just because they want to.

Anime/Manga characters on the other hand are not portrayed the same way. They are without previously imposing limits... even if most of them are natural humans. Most of them train themselves to superhuman levels of capacity, which in itself doesnt make any sense because by definition.. superhuman should be something than a human isn't capable of achieving naturally. Some exmaples include the humans from DBZ or the ninjas from Naruto. They superimposed lesser limits on themselves through training and made themselves capable of doing the impossible. The funny thing is they keep getting more powerful with time and "training" and arent held back by anything but their own wills.

Now im not saying I have a problem with either.. it is just something i have noticed... am I wrong? any thoughts?

7DEADPOOL7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By 7DEADPOOL7

I believe you are right in most cases but I think in both anime and comics people can achieve power through both ways in both medias. Examples: Bleach in that people just cant become dudes doing bankai at anytime you need to be a shinigami or if you prefer their english name soul reapers. In comics people can make themselves superhuman through technology, science,and magic like iron man or Dr. Doom.

Hyperlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Hyperlight

@7DEADPOOL7: yeah your right.... but my point is ironman and doom are using external resources like tech and magic toput themselves among the superhuman community. ive never seen batman train himself to fly or throw boulders... thats my point with anime.

Avatar image for thesecondopinion
TheSecondOpinion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By TheSecondOpinion

Not quite. Instances like Naruto or DBZ where humans train, they are not just magically gaining skill and becoming that said powerful. There are reasons. They you're making it out to be (in a comic sense) is contradicting how Iron Fist can become so powerful. Which in practice, he gained his powers the same way Tsunada or Krillin get theirs. In DBZ, there is an ambient which is in turn the same thing as the ambient energy in comics. DBZ calls it Ki (or chi) and in the Narutoverse, that energy is called Chakura. Each character have their own limitation because of two factors. Will power and body to store that said ambient energy just enough to be channeled and used as whatever effects they please to do with it via whatever use of their training. That said, if everyone human on Marvel or DC trained as well or better than Iron Fist, they would be just as or better than he is.

Lastly, Manga/anime has quite a variety of how certain characters get their powers. Some have years of training in magic, some already have said magic from being spawned or created by said magic. Some become mutated. Some are or become machines. Some are aliens. But when it comes straight to the human's powers, it's just the same as it is in comics. Either enhanced bu science, magic or nature. It's all the same.

IMO, however, the only difference besides their art styles is how every anime story has an end.....

American comics... Never have an end.... They are rebooted after every 5 to 10 years. For example, we'll never see X-Men die of old age. 616 will always have the characters young. (unless an alternate timeline ensues which never stays permanent)

Hyperlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hyperlight

@TheSecondOpinion said:

Not quite. Instances like Naruto or DBZ where humans train, they are not just magically gaining skill and becoming that said powerful. There are reasons. They you're making it out to be (in a comic sense) is contradicting how Iron Fist can become so powerful. Which in practice, he gained his powers the same way Tsunada or Krillin get theirs. In DBZ, there is an ambient which is in turn the same thing as the ambient energy in comics. DBZ calls it Ki (or chi) and in the Narutoverse, that energy is called Chakura. Each character have their own limitation because of two factors. Will power and body to store that said ambient energy just enough to be channeled and used as whatever effects they please to do with it via whatever use of their training. That said, if everyone human on Marvel or DC trained as well or better than Iron Fist, they would be just as or better than he is.

Lastly, Manga/anime has quite a variety of how certain characters get their powers. Some have years of training in magic, some already have said magic from being spawned or created by said magic. Some become mutated. Some are or become machines. Some are aliens. But when it comes straight to the human's powers, it's just the same as it is in comics. Either enhanced bu science, magic or nature. It's all the same.

IMO, however, the only difference besides their art styles is how every anime story has an end.....

American comics... Never have an end.... They are rebooted after every 5 to 10 years. For example, we'll never see X-Men die of old age. 616 will always have the characters young. (unless an alternate timeline ensues which never stays permanent)

I understand but Ironfist is not in the same boat as krillin or tsunade.... krillin used his own internally energy to become exponentially stronger than anything on earth were Ironfist on the other hand used the chi of shou lou the undying to put himself in the superhuman community. If ironfist was just a martial artist I would get what you were saying but he has an external source.

Willpower can only do so much for someone because are still there bodies are still human... technically they would still max out physically and couldnt get any more powerful but that isnt the case for anime/manga. Im saying batman couldnt train and get anywhere close to what krillin has achieved, because his abilities are already maxed out.