• 55 results
#1 Edited by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay, so I've been reading the Ame Comi mini series for the past few months now, and I've really been liking it. I love the fun atmosphere, the new character designs, the fact that it comes out every Monday, and especially the all female spin on it. It gives us some interesting character choices, such as Jesse Quick as Flash, Natasha Irons as Steel, and Batgirl as the main defender of Gotham.

Edit: So they both survived, huh. I expected Steel to, honestly, but I wasn't expecting Catwoman to literally have nine lives. Either that, or a possible Deadpool level HF.

But in the most recent issue, Ame Comi: Supergirl #3... things took an unexpectedly dark turn that I just was not prepared for. I mean, things were starting to get a little darker beforehand, but events here just cemented an all new tone that I'm not sure if I like. In case you haven't been following, Brainiac is on the verge of taking over the planet, and uses Black Kryptonite to turn Supergirl into a weapon, as seen here:

So I'm thinking, okay, this could be interesting. I wonder what will happen. Well... then this happened:

Why yes, that IS the pointless, unceremonious killing of two of the B-list characters at the hands of Supergirl. I just... I mean... what the hell? At least there's still a chance Steel might survive after being frozen, but there's no coming back from a snapped neck. They just offed Catwoman for no reason. I... I... whaaa? I'm still staring at that panel with my mouth hanging open in disbelief.

What is this supposed to be telling us? That if you're not one of the titular characters in the series (Power Girl, Supergirl, Wonder Woman, Batgirl, Duela Dent) that you're just expendable and could be killed off at any moment for no reason? I don't think I like that D:

I honestly never thought I'd actually want to see Supergirl decapitated, but goddamn, please make it happen Wonder Woman!

Has anyone else been reading this? Does anyone else have any thoughts on this? Please tell me I'm not alone in the "WTF just happened?!" mindset.

#2 Posted by ReVamp (22798 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ravager4: Should I?

#3 Posted by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay the post is fixed... hurray

@ReVamp: Well I've certainly been enjoying it... though I'm not sure if I feel as strongly about it after these latest events...

#4 Posted by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't be the only one reading this D:

#5 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

I think a lot of people read this. Sadly, I am not one of them because I don't have a proper device to enjoy digital comics.

When it makes the eventual leap into physical format, I'll pick it up.

#6 Posted by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

@Twentyfive: Supposed to be coming to print in like, October or something, right?

#7 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

What the heck is this o_o;???

#8 Posted by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123: what's what now?

#9 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6836 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ravager4: Im going to be getting it in print comic format when Ame #1 is out in the next week or two (I think). Im excited for it.

#10 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ravager4 said:

@minigunman123: what's what now?

This odd comic that looks like it contains hentai of superheroins.

#11 Posted by blackwolf0925 (149 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123: I think I'm intrigued. (insert perverted giggle here)

#12 Posted by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123: um, okay, first way to judge a book by its cover. or... interiors. whatever

second, it's Ame Comi, which is a weekly digitial only (for now) comic that takes place in an alternate universe, where all the superheroes are female. It's based off the popular Ame Comi line of figurines, which gives an anime-ish spin on popular super heroines.

#13 Edited by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ravager4: yes I've been reading it except Super Girl #3 which I hadn't the opportunity yet but you just spoiled it for me anyways...

Based on what I saw I cant say I expect it but it wasn't strange. This series is kinda violent - specially WonderWoman's arc, and Catwoman after betraying Duela had no real purpose, she died after being a villain and trying to redeem herself, but she hadn't a place in the team. Steel is probably gonna survive, she is one of the main characters of the team. I didn't really feel bad for Catwoman maybe because we didn't see anything special from this version

On Ame-Comi itself - ITS AWESOME! A full female universe with a bit of mangá style drawing and Gray and Palmiotti are on the writing job? sign me in!

I specially loved WonderWoman's arc, because it was awesome and because Amanda Conner was drawing. I hope either Amanda or Emanuela Luppachino (the person who did most of the covers) picks up on the art in Ame-Comi girls #1 - they're great artists and they make beautiful WonderWomans,Supergirls and Powergirls

#14 Edited by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jorgevy: Well yeah, Wonder Woman's arc was a bit violent, but everyone that was dying was nothing but nameless canon fodder. Seeing one of the named characters just get so unceremoniously killed off like that was not something I was prepared for, nor is it something that I think sets a good precedent for the remainder of the series... because it's basically saying, don't get attached to any of the side characters, because they could be pointlessly killed off at any time. And yes, it was a pointless death that served no purpose.

Catwoman may have died 'trying to redeem herself', but it's not like she went down fighting or anything. She got owned in two seconds by Supergirl. Even if she didn't quite 'fit' in the story, there was no reason to just snap her neck and be done with her like that... It would be different if, say she was fighting someone relatively around her level, she put up a decent fight, and that fight actually meant something to the story. This did not... at all.

And the worst part of it is that, you know after this whole Brainiac thing is over, Supergirl won't be controlled anymore, and oh everything is alright now, she was just controlled, so let's be friends. Even though we still know what she did. I honestly really want Wonder Woman to make good on her threat there... though I know it won't happen. I've loved everything about this series so far, but that one moment just sits really sour with me...

#15 Posted by cuddles666 (310 posts) - - Show Bio

I really enjoyed the Wonder Woman series, but I stopped after Batgirl because it didn't feel like it was going anywhere. The character designs are really boss but the story is just so bland. Why can't it be more like the Marvel Mangaverse?

#16 Posted by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

@cuddles666: Well to each their own, I guess. I personally think the story is pretty good so far, keeping in mind that the 5 mini series were meant to be mostly lead ups introducing the major characters. The actual ongoing kicks off next week.

#17 Edited by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ravager4: Im sorry it did but with me so far, it's been great. And as I said, it may have no purpose, but it is what it is - Catwoman had 0 chances against Supergirl and Supergirl is being controlled by Brainiac, casualties will happen. I think that was the main point so they just used a character people still hadn't feelings for that was evil but not quite evil, to show that even if you try to join Brainiac's/Supergirl's side you are gonna have a bad time.

But hey that's just me, I can't wait to go get Supergirl #3 and see it myself and I can't wait for AmeComi Girls 1!

@cuddles666: Not bland at all IMO, just trying to show the origins/introduce the characters - its a brand new universe after all

#18 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ravager4 said:

@minigunman123: um, okay, first way to judge a book by its cover. or... interiors. whatever

second, it's Ame Comi, which is a weekly digitial only (for now) comic that takes place in an alternate universe, where all the superheroes are female. It's based off the popular Ame Comi line of figurines, which gives an anime-ish spin on popular super heroines.

Calm down, I was just joking with you; it does look very odd but I was joking about the hentai bit. Plus, judging a book by it's internal material seems like a pretty smart thing to do lmao. What else am I going to judge it on?

Anyway, that sounds pretty fun actually, I might give it a try when it comes into physical print, if I can.

#19 Posted by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123: supposed to be coming to print soon... I've heard this month or maybe next month

#20 Posted by JohnnyWalker (821 posts) - - Show Bio

cheap hentai. nice

#21 Posted by cuddles666 (310 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ravager4 said:

@cuddles666: Well to each their own, I guess. I personally think the story is pretty good so far, keeping in mind that the 5 mini series were meant to be mostly lead ups introducing the major characters. The actual ongoing kicks off next week.

In that case, I might try again. In spite of an underwhelming story, I like the presence of female characters and I love the art.

#22 Posted by nickthedevil (13967 posts) - - Show Bio

Like the art work. not fond of anime or manga though.

#23 Posted by TDK_1997 (15089 posts) - - Show Bio

No.But it looks good.

#24 Posted by Icarusflies (12513 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ravager4: I haven't been reading this, but I have to say, judging by the panels, it doesn't look like either of them died. Characters get frozen all the time...as long as Steel is thawed soon she'll be fine.

And it is possible to survive a broken neck. It's possible Catwoman will be paralyzed, which is actually something they did in Flashpoint. It also doesn't really look like a broken neck to me...when someone's neck is broken in comics, it's typically dramatic. I think it's possible that Supergirl is holding back, or maybe acting a bit like Superman in

Justice League Elite

That is, feigning the deaths of enemies, or in other cases, retaining enough mental control to prevent fatalities.

I might actually start picking up this series though, it looks a lot better than I thought it would.

#25 Posted by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

@Icarusflies: well I did already state that Steel could have survived, but I'm pretty sure that art is meant to depict a snapped neck for Catwoman. Note snapped neck. Not broken neck, not fractured, but snapped. There is a difference. Plenty of people have survived a broke neck. Case in point, Stone Cold Steve Austin broke is neck many years ago, and he's up and about just fine today. But nobody grabbed his head and twisted it in a swift, jerking motion, an action which is always meant to kill. Look at the blur Supergirl's hands are going in, indicating that she very sharply and quickly jerked Catwoman's head, plus the giant CRACK sound effect and burst at her neck, and her head being bent a bit to the side. That looks pretty clear to me.

#26 Posted by Icarusflies (12513 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ravager4: It looks like she was slapped, I don't think Supergirl grabbed her head.

I've seen a lot of broken comic necks in my day, and that just doesn't look like one....and that's also a sentence I never expected to type.

#27 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

ouch...

poor lil catwoman

#28 Posted by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

@Icarusflies: you can see her hands in the previous panel coming up around Catwoman's head to grab her. And then both her hands blur across her body, as though she twisted through. Also, "crack" is not typically a sound effect associated with a slap... not that I've seen, anyway. Not all artists are going to draw broken necks the same way, I'd just call it an artist error for not making it clearer.

#29 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35130 posts) - - Show Bio
@JohnnyWalker: Do you even know what hentai is?
#30 Posted by JohnnyWalker (821 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous: i do. do you?

#31 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35130 posts) - - Show Bio
@JohnnyWalker: Yes and this is clearly not it
#32 Posted by x_29 (2274 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been reading it online. Sadly I am not digging it at all.

#33 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ravager4: hey, I guess we eventually got the answer to both of your questions ;) now we know if Steel and Catwoman survived and if so, how. I really wasn't expecting the Catwoman bit. Also, after catching up, my only complain is: where the heck is Powergirl in the middle of all of this? Wondie was the one that needed to step up and wipe the floor!

#34 Posted by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jorgevy: I kind of expected Steel to survive, actually, but the Catwoman thing really took me by surprise. Apparently she literally has nine lives now? (unless that comment about her only having seven lives left was a joke...). Either that or a super powered neck break just isn't what it used to be, because she was perfectly fine after she woke up. And PG went to shut down the Earth's core a couple issues ago. Guess she just hasn't got there yet. Also quite happy about Wonder Woman just mopping the floor with Supergirl. That was special.

#35 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ravager4: yeah Im really loving it. I think Catwoman really has nine lives, since this is kinda animé styled comics and all, and she did seem dead from a snapped neck and steel (IIRC) said she could be dead and then she starts talking while having a broken neck and all... either that or she has a healing factor or some kinda of neck/bone power??

thanks for reminding of PG, I read Supergirl 3 and Ame Girls some time apart and totally forgot about that. I saw her when Supergirl started attacking in the background and thought "why doesn't she just B**ch slap her?!?" but I guess that explains it and Wondie was awesome, all bossy and stuff.

#36 Posted by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jorgevy: Yeah, I think that was just an artist error, showing PG there when Dark Supergirl arrived, considering she didn't appear again or do anything through that entire issue, nor was she there in the following issue. Plus, considering she had already made the decision to go to the Earth's core in the previous issue, which had to be at least like five-ten minutes worth of time from when Supergirl left to confront Brainiac and then got corrupted by Black Kryptonite, PG should have been long gone on her trip to the center of the Earth already.

And I don't know, maybe they took a page out of the horrible Catwoman movie and gave her some kind of cat spirit powers xD with nine lives and all. Or maybe she does just have a Deadpool level HF. "Pfft, broken neck? What broken neck? I'm fine."

#37 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ravager4: that makes sense. PG is extremely fast xD

and Catwoman... I dont even know what I would prefer, I like the idea, but I can't decide between actual cat spirit powers, nine lives and all, or some kind of enhanced physicality with healing factor.

#38 Posted by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jorgevy: Speaking of PG, I found it interesting in her mini when she said her powers aren't derived from the sun, yet she asked how Supergirl adjusted to having powers so quickly after arriving, which means that their powers weren't obtained until arriving on Earth. But, if they don't get their powers from the sun, what do they get their powers from?

I also love the fact that PG is this world's version of Superman, meaning she's probably the strongest one of the bunch, or at least equal with Wonder Woman. It makes me smile.

#39 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ravager4 said:

I also love the fact that PG is this world's version of Superman, meaning she's probably the strongest one of the bunch, or at least equal with Wonder Woman. It makes me smile.

yeah it is pretty sweet, I'll love to see how that situation will be handled, if they ever duke it out or if get to see who's faster, who's stronger, etc...

I remember the Solar Power part but I totally skipped through it and didn't even think about it until now. Maybe they will get some of their powers the same way Golden Age Superman had them: the difference in gravity from Krypton to Earth. Also, maybe it's not solar power per se, but some kind of radiation abundant on Earth. Or maybe, IIRC Brainiac said pieces of Krypton had become radioctive and affect them. Maybe some of that radiation came with them and "turned" them

#40 Posted by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jorgevy: *sigh* why couldn't this PG have been the New 52 PG? So much more enjoyable a character. As it stands, I could never touch Worlds' Finest again and be perfectly content getting my PG fix off Ame Comi

And I guess we'll just have to wait and find out about her powers. I hope they explain it, because I'm pretty curious, lol. I mean, differences in gravity might make sense for physical attributes, but it wouldn't explain things like heat vision, super hearing, or freeze breath xD

#41 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ravager4: true true, Palmiotti and Gray write a perfect PG. The artist could be better (I was hoping Conner would draw the series) but it doesn't seem bad either. SO far Im liking this PG a lot lot more than N52 PG.

And yeah, differences from Krypton to Earth can explain physical atributes and with a stretch super hearing and super breath, but they can't explain flight, heat vision, freeze breath, etc... Maybe it has to do with the fact that only females have super powers in this universe...

#42 Posted by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jorgevy: Yeah the artist wasn't so good for PG's series, but she looked great in Supergirl's, and the art is looking pretty good now in the ongoing, so I can't wait to see how she's drawn there.

And only females fight crime or become villains, even without super powers xD

Except Luthor, apparently. But he's in Phantom Zone, so...

#43 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10130 posts) - - Show Bio

Bits and pieces, real cute <3

#44 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ravager4: I was hoping Lex would turn out to be Alexandra, but I guess not... and yeah only females fight crime but also only females have powers. atleast that's what I read and it's been confirmed so far, no super powered guys, and the only male vigilante/super hero/villain was Luthor and we couldn't be 100% sure he was a guy since he didn't see his face or body

#45 Posted by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jorgevy: Yeah, I wonder if it will ever be explained why that is, or if it's just a coincidence. Or just one of those "it's a comic book, don't ask questions" things xD

#46 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ravager4: maybe they'll go for a genetic explanation or maybe a "parallel universe" thing. Well, it's too soon for all of that but eventually we will have a clearer view of the whole Ame Comic U, and more information as well!

#47 Posted by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jorgevy: I'm actually looking forward to the end of the Brainiac arc so we can see the characters having some downtime and interacting with each other outside of fighting. should be pretty interesting.

#48 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ravager4: true but this feels like a Justice League-esque beggining. big invasion and all, followed by the creation of team and all. Also, did you noticed that the Manhunters are the Guardians police force and not the Lanterns? does that mean we won't get a female GL or we won't see anything regarding that, or maybe that one of those Manhunter robots will assume GL's place in the team? what do you think?

#49 Posted by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jorgevy:

Justin Gray said:

As we head into the “team” book, you’ll see that the Ame-Comi Brainiac has a much bigger impact on the mythology of the entire DC Universe. She is more than a traditional villain. Brainiac is the catalyst for some of the most familiar aspects of the Ame-Comi version of the DCU. The second storyline introduces Green Lantern and some of the familiar elements that fit that mythology. Green Lantern from Earth is a Chinese citizen who also happens to be blind so we got to expand on some of the ideas that were introduced with the character of Rot Lop Fan. We introduce the Atom and several other characters in the process.

I'd say there's a pretty good chance of us seeing a female GL =P

#50 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ravager4: didn't see that anywhere. cool to know, I guess they are going with the magical Green Lantern type like Alan Scott and it will be interesting to have a blind super heroine. Can't wait! this series seems to get better and better