#1 Posted by karrob (4283 posts) - - Show Bio

All things considered I totally get Cyclops mindset at this point. People S#@% on the character but a life long soldier becomes one of two things, More passionate or bat S#@% crazy. He is actually walking the line between both...I just find it funny that the one of the characters that hate him the most (Wolverine) has more blood on his hands than 99% of the X-Men.

#2 Edited by Cap10nate (2650 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope. I think there are a lot of people who like Cyclops. Check out any AVX thread and you will see a lot of fans arguing his side quite ardently. I don't know if it is because of their fandom of Cyclops or their hatred of the Avengers, but it is there. I personally don't care much either way as I have basically ignored the X-Men side of Marvel U. It has never interested me the way the Fantastic Four and the Avengers team and solo books have.

#3 Edited by AllStarSuperman (22701 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyclops is still awesome

#4 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine's a hypocrite. Doesn't make Scott going postal any better.

I don't like him any more because it's not Cyclops. What made Cyclops Cyclops is gone. And I'm one of the top 3 Cyke fans on the site.

#5 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyclops was right.

#6 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

Scott Summers is one of the best X-Characters ever created. Now I wish his little bro was even half the man Scott is.

#7 Posted by TDK_1997 (15076 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyclops died long time ago.

#8 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (12233 posts) - - Show Bio

He's my favorite X-Man. I'm currently catching up on most things X-Men from like 1999/2000 to 2010 (hopefully can get books before that) so it really upsets me how the writers have chosen to "evolve" his character. They make him look like a villain when he's not. Cyclops for President.

#9 Edited by Billy Batson (58265 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah, he currently has plenty of fans.

BB

#10 Posted by frogdog (3406 posts) - - Show Bio
@karrob said:

All things considered I totally get Cyclops mindset at this point. People S#@% on the character but a life long soldier becomes one of two things, More passionate or bat S#@% crazy. He is actually walking the line between both...I just find it funny that the one of the characters that hate him the most (Wolverine) has more blood on his hands than 99% of the X-Men.

Cyclops doesn't have a fanboy writer.

#11 Posted by TheManInTheShoe (3878 posts) - - Show Bio

I only like playing him in Marvel Heroes.

#12 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (6290 posts) - - Show Bio

I like cyclops but not so much his new self. I prefer his older self more because thats the character I liked, not his crazy new self.

#13 Posted by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (11867 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh

What it's a love hate relationship with me

#14 Edited by Dark_Vengeance_ (15114 posts) - - Show Bio

It's okay to like him, but I hate him.

#15 Posted by JonSmith (4007 posts) - - Show Bio

I like him at the moment. Not really understanding the whole 'terrorist' angle the Avengers and Wolverine are pushing.

#16 Posted by fenixREVOLUTION (889 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't been following the X-Men all that closely, but from what I've read of Uncanny and All New so far, I'm totally on Team Cyclops.

#17 Posted by deaditegonzo (3690 posts) - - Show Bio

Jean is a horrible hypocrite too, say it with me "genocide of billions." I really despise her right now, especially the way she seems to be coming onto Logan. Ugh.

Seriously, Scott has a bad rap and he's being treated horribly and he doesnt deserve it. Armed revolution by the oppressed populace is typically considered heroic (slave rebellions, revolutionary war, etc), and yet he is vilified over it. Seriously, after he and his mutants overthrow the oppressive human military, and start writing their own history, will he and Magneto actually be counted as visionaries and heroes, as they deserve?

< Favourite Xman, and one of my favourite Marvel characters, is Scott (so I have hated all the movies).

#18 Edited by MadeinBangladesh (7632 posts) - - Show Bio

@karrob: actually I didn't like cyclops until AVX. He is finally standing up.

#19 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (7632 posts) - - Show Bio

Scott Summers is one of the best X-Characters ever created. Now I wish his little bro was even half the man Scott is.

WORD.

#20 Edited by New_World_Order (13516 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Cyclops.

#21 Edited by Extremis (3363 posts) - - Show Bio

This type of character change was bound to be divisive. Hardcore fans of old Cyke feel theyve abandoned the true nature of character while others feel it displays an appropriate evolution of the character. Personally, I can't help but think that they essentially just turned Cyclops into a younger Magneto.

#22 Posted by BaneStrokeLoboGrundyBatArrow (1395 posts) - - Show Bio

I started disliking him after Avengers versus X-men

#23 Edited by papabearg4d (110 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyclops all the way!!

#24 Posted by RustyRoy (13532 posts) - - Show Bio

He was my favorite Marvel character before AvX and still is after that.

#25 Edited by God_Spawn (38231 posts) - - Show Bio

He's my favorite character.

Moderator Online
#26 Edited by Dayvid3 (820 posts) - - Show Bio

Defiantly much better these days to me

#27 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish you were the only person that still likes Cyclops, but alas, your thread has proven differently.

I like young Cyclops more than the older.

#28 Posted by karrob (4283 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

This type of character change was bound to be divisive. Hardcore fans of old Cyke feel theyve abandoned the true nature of character while others feel it displays an appropriate evolution of the character. Personally, I can't help but think that they essentially just turned Cyclops into a younger Magneto.

I see your point. But considering that Extinction Team fiasco and this new team he has. Cyclops is probably the most level headed about this than everyone. He acknowledges the current state of Mutant, Human relations as shaky at best. He doesn't want or desire to hurt innocent humans and at the same time he wants mutants protected from unwarranted persecution. He believes they should be prepared to defend themselves regardless. Magneto more so preached the supremacy of the mutant race while Xavier preached peaceful coexistence. I think Cyclops is somewhere in between these two contrasting methodologies.

#29 Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost (3588 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine's a hypocrite. Doesn't make Scott going postal any better.

I don't like him any more because it's not Cyclops. What made Cyclops Cyclops is gone. And I'm one of the top 3 Cyke fans on the site.

I love who Cyclops was decades ago, now he's like a completely different character. I really wish that they would just not use characters when they're going to do it wrong.

To be honest, I want them to retcon him, say he's been a Skrull for the last tenish years. :P

#30 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3617 posts) - - Show Bio

I've always liked Cyclops; I tend to be a fan of the responsible, hardworking types instead of the lazy, "cool" guys.

#31 Posted by comicace3 (6350 posts) - - Show Bio

There are lots of people who like cyclops

#32 Edited by TheCowman (461 posts) - - Show Bio

@karrob said:

Like in what way?

I think the direction the character has taken is interesting and I like the potential stories that it brings up. Do I like his ideology....... eh, he has some solid points, but I think his execution of them isn't the best. And Wolverine's might not be the best response either. That's one of my main disappointments so far with where they've taken this situation.

This had the potential to be a really gray area debate with both sides having solid logic and obvious flaws. Instead it's come down to "Cyclops is right"/"Cyclops is wrong" debates and Scott making lengthy speeches about why everyone else is at fault instead of him. I was hoping for the two factions going about their agendas, clashing occasionally, but still with an underlying respect for each other and a sadness at where their choices have taken them.

So far though, all we've got is some flagrant grandstanding and shouting matches.

And for those saying Wolverine is a hypocrite, you're a little ill-informed. Logan has no problem with killing. He resorts to killing quite often. But he's not a fan of kids being taught to kill. If there's killing to be done, HE'LL do it because that's who he is. He even said to Cyclops in X-Force that if Cyke wanted someone dead, just let him know and he'd do it. It was only when Scott started encouraging lethal force to the students that Logan took offense.

#33 Edited by Aiden Cross (15575 posts) - - Show Bio

I used to love the 'boyscout' Cyclops, but i haven't been keeping up with him. But from the little i've read he's not the same man anymore.

#34 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7752 posts) - - Show Bio

If Professor X is MLK, & Magneto is Malcolm X, I would say Cyclops is between. He's Medgar Evers/Malcolm X after Mecca.

#35 Posted by JJ62 (1299 posts) - - Show Bio

He used to be a great hero, a leader, an example, the good guy.

Now, he a genocidal maniac. I loove the old version of him.

#36 Posted by TheGwailo (42 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyclops is my favorite X-Man from way back, and I actually like the way his story is going. Here's a guy who, when he began, had great hope and a great sense of what was right for his fellow mutants. Scott saw what Xavier saw - a world where, given time, humans and mutants could live in peace and share a mutualistic existence on Earth. He opposed Magneto because Magneto had zero desire for mutualism. Magneto wanted domination.

Fast forward to today, now Scott's been shaken by so much loss and strife that he's hardened. The dream of mutualism is gone because Scott finally realizes that humans at large don't want to be friends with mutants. As such, Scott decides that humans and mutants must live apart and that mutants must take charge of their own lives. Cyclops becomes a true revolutionary, a separatist who wants nothing more than freedom from a world that hates him and his kind.

The change helps make Cyclops, ironically, more human. He's fallible and able to make controversial decisions that he may not recover from. His dreams have been shattered. Too many characters in comics become completely static over the years and all of their stories stay on the same, predictable track. When a character has been around since 1963, he needs to change to remind everyone that he's still basically human.

#37 Posted by karrob (4283 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyclops is my favorite X-Man from way back, and I actually like the way his story is going. Here's a guy who, when he began, had great hope and a great sense of what was right for his fellow mutants. Scott saw what Xavier saw - a world where, given time, humans and mutants could live in peace and share a mutualistic existence on Earth. He opposed Magneto because Magneto had zero desire for mutualism. Magneto wanted domination.

Fast forward to today, now Scott's been shaken by so much loss and strife that he's hardened. The dream of mutualism is gone because Scott finally realizes that humans at large don't want to be friends with mutants. As such, Scott decides that humans and mutants must live apart and that mutants must take charge of their own lives. Cyclops becomes a true revolutionary, a separatist who wants nothing more than freedom from a world that hates him and his kind.

The change helps make Cyclops, ironically, more human. He's fallible and able to make controversial decisions that he may not recover from. His dreams have been shattered. Too many characters in comics become completely static over the years and all of their stories stay on the same, predictable track. When a character has been around since 1963, he needs to change to remind everyone that he's still basically human.

Agreed!