Am I the only one who finds the Batman Arkham Series Overrated?

• 61 results
Avatar image for bluelantern1995
BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#1  Edited By BlueLantern1995

I find that Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City while good are painfully overrated. Am I the only one?

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Jorgevy

@BlueLantern1995: they are awesome but not he best games ever. even inside the action/adventure genre. But they are in my top 10

Wisduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Wisduck

I just started playing Arkham Asylum four days ago and it is by far the best superhero game I have ever played.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jorgevy

@BlueLantern1995: Honestly I think they are for the simple reason that they are the most recent and that there are hardly any super hero games out there. from the ones I've played, maybe MUA is better. I loved that game

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jorgevy

@BlueLantern1995 said:

MUA 1 in my opinion is the best so yeah...The Arkham games I tend to think of as one of the best not the best...

same

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cattlebattle

I am not a big video game player so I think they are quite repetitive, all the rooms look alike and its just punching skeletons in X-ray mode or whatever, the second game was an improvement....not saying they are bad games....just my opinion

MenaceForever2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MenaceForever2

Arkham City is up there with my fav game MUA 2

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CrimsonCake

I don't find them overrated at all,When Arkham Asylum came out it was a pretty big deal.

Avatar image for jackson_hartley
Jackson_Hartley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jackson_Hartley

I love MUA 1&2, because it catered to my Marvel-fanboy side, but as far as comic games (or action games in general) go, I'd have to say the Arkhams are the best thus far. Both Arkham games were completely built around Batman to fully incorporate a real-feeling combat style. MUA, Wolverine, Destiny, Spider-Man Web of Shadows: all were button mashers, sparse with engaging stories.

As a Marvel lover, the MUA's are #1. As a casual gamer, the Arkham's have it hands down.

That's just me though.

MurieC16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MurieC16

Arkham City is by far the best comic book/Superhero game ever! Second would be Hulk Ultimate Destruction and third would be Ultimate Spider-Man

Uncanny_Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Uncanny_Doom

The first was an awesome game and the second is virtually perfect. I don't see anything overrated about it.

Imagine_Man15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Imagine_Man15

@MurieC16 said:

Arkham City is by far the best comic book/Superhero game ever! Second would be Hulk Ultimate Destruction and third would be Ultimate Spider-Man

Never played Ultimate Destruction, but I love the Ultimate Spiderman game.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By BatteredArmor

@Wisduck said:

I just started playing Arkham Asylum four days ago and it is by far the best superhero game I have ever played.

Name a super hero game and I've probably played at least 1 level of it if not beaten it and I still agree with this with absolutely no hesitation

MurieC16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MurieC16

@BlackArmor: You guys NEED to play Arkham City! it's so good!

Chronus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Chronus

You are never the only one. I do not find the Arkham series to be overrated. Arkham City is not just my favorite superhero video game but one of my favorite games.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By TheCheeseStabber

I thought Arkham City was over rated o.o *crawls back in cave

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BatteredArmor

@MurieC16: LOL, my comment wasn't clear at all. I have played City I was agreeing with the general gist of

Never played Ultimate Destruction,

If you've played Prototype then you've basically played Destruction (unless I'm confusing Des with a different Hulk game)

KenTheProfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By KenTheProfile

@BlueLantern1995: so it not over rated. it one of the best using your own words. I loved MUA but in all honesty the reason the arkham games are better(if only by alittle bit.) is i actually left ike Batman. no other superhero game made me feel that way.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

The Arkham series might not be the best games ever, but they are certainly the best comic book game series ever. Sorry, but the majority of comic book games suck. Lookin' at you, MUA 2.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#20  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

Not in my opinion. I loved both

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By Gambit1024

As a video game? Sure, I guess.

As a representation of Batman and his rogue's gallery (besides Bane)? It still doesn't get the attention it deserves. Excellent writing (with the exception of Bane).

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#22  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@Gambit1024 said:

As a representation of Batman and his rogue's gallery (besides Bane)? It still doesn't get the attention it deserves. Excellent writing (with the exception of Bane).

And Hush.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By Gambit1024

@JediXMan said:

@Gambit1024 said:

And Hush.

He wasn't in it enough for me to make a fair judgement.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d945143d79a
deactivated-59d945143d79a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JediXMan: I found MUA2 a decent game(a 5-6/10), but it was a disappointment(MUA1/Xmen legends set the bar too high)

Army2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Army2442

@BlueLantern1995 said:

I find that Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City while good are painfully overrated. Am I the only one?

I liked it and thought it was a great game, but it was not as good as it was stated be and I liked it for different reasons (i.e. being able to use your gadgets in clever ways).

Uno_Oscuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Uno_Oscuro

Yes, you are, nah, there are probably others, but you're seriously the first I've seen say something like that.

Funrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By Funrush

@BlueLantern1995 said:

Only a bit. They're still fantastic games IMO.

soduh2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By soduh2

I'd say the Arkham games (especially arkham city) are so good that it makes it's flaws and short comings stand out more. It's overrated because of the room for improvement (no free roam as Robin or Nightwing).

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#29  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@soduh2 said:

I'd say the Arkham games (especially arkham city) are so good that it makes it's flaws and short comings stand out more. It's overrated because of the room for improvement (no free roam as Robin or Nightwing).

It's not overrated because there is room for improvement. Anything has room for improvement, thus by this logic EVERYTHING would be overrated. The short comings of those games don't stand out more because they are so good, the flaws in the game are irrelevant because it's so good, because you can't pull out those flaws without nitpicking.
soduh2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By soduh2

@Vance Astro said:

@soduh2 said:

It's not overrated because there is room for improvement. Anything has room for improvement, thus by this logic EVERYTHING would be overrated. The short comings of those games don't stand out more because they are so good, the flaws in the game are irrelevant because it's so good, because you can't pull out those flaws without nitpicking.

Not everything has room for improvement, some things don't derserve "improvement".

I'm saying that the majority of really good games inspire a sense of fanon. If the players imagine ways to make the game better the finished product is overrated (because it could be better). It's not the flaws or room for improvement alone that I'm talking about, but the fact that the game was good in the first place. Bad and mediocre games aren't going to have the same input or desire for improvement like an "overrated" game will. I'd say anyone who plays video games and cannot think of ways to improve their favorites probably lack imagination.

spidergirl2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By spidergirl2012

Yes you are the only one.

BB

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32  Edited By InnerVenom123

The plots aren't anything revolutionary, but the gameplay and mechanics are amazing.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#33  Edited By Lvenger

Arkham City's not only my favourite superhero game, it's my current all time favourite game. These games actually made me feel like I was playing as Batman. In terms of story, gameplay mechanics and the voice acting.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#34  Edited By BatWatch

I find it is slightly overrated, but it is still an excellent game.

The main game and most of the side quests are wonderful, but once I finished the main game, I lost interest. Sure, I could beat up baddies in the challenge mode, but that isn't a long term distraction for me. Then, there is the Riddler quest, and I would really like to finish that, but I'm not willing to track down hundreds of trophies. I picked up Riddler trophies constantly while playing through the main story, and I'm sure I didn't even clear half of them. If all the puzzles were interesting, then I might be interested, but there were only about eight different types which were repeated. No thanks. It needed a longer campaign.

The other problem is the plot. The subplots, the characterization, and the voice acting are great, but the idea of city setting apart...what, twenty city blocks for a prison, is stupid. The idea that the warden could randomly throw people in the prison city is even more stupid. The idea that Ra's Al Ghul would have some sort of political clout in Gotham which would allow Strange to make chaos is stupid. Finally, Joker's forces stole the cure at one point...yet for some reason Joker didn't take it? I don't understand that in the slightest.

So, not perfect, but really freakin' great.

Avatar image for johnkmccubbin91
johnkmccubbin91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 672

User Lists: 103

#35  Edited By johnkmccubbin91

The Arkham games are brilliant cause every other Batman game sucked. MUA 1 was good slightly behind Arkham and MUA 2 sucked they took one of the best recent stories and ruined it

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#36  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@BlueLantern1995 said:

No, but you're likely part of a minority. While I disagree with "BEST GAME EVER" remarks some might have, I do support the belief that it's currently the best comic book video game franchise out there. Even if you prefer MUA, there's still no denying it's a very well crafted game.

Skyfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Skyfire

I think they are perfectly rated.

Avatar image for thewitchinghour
TheWitchingHour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TheWitchingHour

I love that people remember Ultimate Spider-Man!! That was such a great game. Not as good as Arkham Asylum or Arkham City but quite good nonetheless.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#39  Edited By Strider1992

Well I haven't finished Arkham City yet (because I waited for it to go on sale in Steam and got it for 5euros a few days ago!!! Win!!!!!) but thus far I prefer Arkham Asylum. As far as overrated goes i'm not really sure. I don't think they are because outside us comic-book lovers its not really that highly regarded. I've got mates who haven't even tried it simply because they saw it and thought "Oh great a superhero game.....its not like they never suck or anything".

Among DC and comic fans it may be overrated due fanboyism but to the general public I would say its quite underrated. All of the people I made play Arkham Asylum who weren't even into comics were surprised at how good it was and wouldn't have considered trying, let alone buying it because it was a superhero game.

Matezoide2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Matezoide2

I find Arkham City to be VERY overrated.

@Strider92

Not at all,Strider,Arkham City won the game of the year award in several different places.
Anyone that is knowledge on video-games and visits web-sites like Gamespot or IGN are perfectly aware that the Arkham series are far above the likes of Iron-Man 2.

Though i can agree with the general public part,i consider it overrated solely because gamers in general are crazy for it :P
Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#41  Edited By Strider1992

@Matezoide2: Then France either overlooked it or just didn't give a sh*t lol because none of my friends have played it (well 1 has now thanks to me) and they play quite a lot of games.

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#42  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator

Yes.

It is almost impossible to overrate the Batman games.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#43  Edited By Deranged Midget

Overrated? Not a chance? Perfect games? Not even close. But they are pretty fantastic games. The combat is near perfect, the visuals and the voice acting are beyond top notch, and to top it off, the story is enticing, dark and extremely engaging. What more could you ask out of a Batman game?

Easily the best comic-book games made, period.

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Mega_spidey01

@Uncanny_Doom said:

The first was an awesome game and the second is virtually perfect. I don't see anything overrated about it.

nickthedevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By nickthedevil

@Mega_spidey01 said:

@Uncanny_Doom said:

Typhion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Typhion

I cannot think of a single comic based game that plays as smoothly with as good a plot as Arkham City. I loved x-men legends 1 (ice skating ftw) but lets be honest, if you want a great combat engine, great graphics, great plot, and overall well laid out gameplay, Arkham is top of the line.

I'm sure super fanboys overstate it, and haters try to downplay it, but in truth, it's a very, very, good game.

Duke_Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Duke_Nasty

Arkham city is great. Spider-Man 2 is the only comic game I liked better.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By FearTheLiving

Well considering it's the only superhero game that is actually really good I can see why it's hyped up so much. I'd love to see more heros get the Bat treatment in video games. Hoping Deadpool game will be awesome.

KingofMadCows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By KingofMadCows

OK, so has anyone actually explained why they think the Arkham games are overrated?

alecalger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bluelantern1995: I liked Asylum, but it was definitely a little overrated. The bosses sucked and it was kind of short and the riddles take away from ever replaying the game ever again. I thought Batman Begins movie tie-in was better.