All New Invaders #2 had cringe-worthy dialogue (examples!)

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By JakeN7

I was floored.

The dialogue is the worst I've ever seen. It's the awkward uncharacteristic kind of camp. It lasts throughout the whole issue, but I'll give you an early example:

Captain America: "James? Bucky? What are you doing, guy, you're dead remember? Or at least that's what the world is supposed to think."

Winter Soldier: "Haven't forgotten, buddy..."

Here's another example from when Cap, Winter Soldier and The Original Human Torch are fighting Tanalath the Pursuer.

Captain America: "Pour it on Bucky! That's it! We give her even a moment's letup, we're done."

Winter Soldier: "Hear that. Hey, Jim, buddy...anytime you feel like jumping in, we could use the help."

Jim Hammond (Original Human Torch): I'm trying, Buck--but--she did something to me--can't focus."

Shortly after that Jim Hammond starts unironically motivating himself in the 3rd person ("Need to get it together. Come on, Jim. They need me--my friends--have to do something. Get up, Jim! Do not think, do not stop, get on your feet! Your friends came to help, but now they need you...you must not fail them!") It was incredibly embarrassing to read. Now, one could argue that this book features characters from WWII, so they're mannerisms are old. But, they've all spent more than enough time in the present day to nullify that point. Not to mention, they weren't even written like this in the previous issue. It reads like a fan-fic parody of the superhero genre. Or like a kid's cartoon. It makes no sense.

It's not just the dialogue either. The art is fine, but the layouts are annoying. Just like the previous issue, there's a ridiculously minimal amount of panel work. It's all mostly broken up into splash pages and quarter-page spreads. There are cheesy narration boxes providing us information that we already know. Speaking of info we already know, the book spends 5 pages full of long, convoluted exposition telling a story to Captain America. Thing is, we've had this exact flashback in the last issue with Jim Hammond, and we experienced it early on in this issue with Winter Soldier. Then we get to see them explain it in even more, yet unnecessary, detail to Captain America. The plot also falls flat. Even succumbing to such tropes as the villain saying stupid campy villain things as she utterly wrecks them. Then getting a call that makes her leave the fight, even though she was winning, and then warning the heroes to follow if they dare.

Even the lettering is bad! It constantly and randomly throws these "--" little dashes everywhere.

I still can't believe I just read a comic written by James Robinson. It makes no sense. I have no idea how this was written by the same dude that wrote Starman, JSA, Earth 2, etc. I was so looking forward to this series. James Robinson has a proven track record for writing modern day golden-age characters extremely well, and I enjoyed the first issue a lot. This was such a bad tonal shift, I don't think I can buy another issue for about $4.40 (sales tax damn you). I'm very disappointed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

I think the dashes wouldn't have anything to do with lettering as it was probably in the script.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JakeN7

@dagmar_merrill: I was so annoyed with them I didn't want to imagine James Robinson having anything to do with them. But you're probably right.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I asked James Robinson about it for the podcast, and if you haven't listened to it, he basically doesn't see it and was caught up on my use of the word "campy."

I know I'm not crazy though, as it was a major issue for most reviewers. It was marked down for poor dialogue everywhere.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Veshark

I feel like dialogue's never been one of Robinson's strong suits. He seems better at world-building. I'm not talking about the acclaimed stuff like Starman - more like his later DC work on Action Comics, Superman, Earth 2 et cetera. It's always either too long-winded and wordy, or too stiff and to the point. At least, that's in my experience. I'll still be picking up All-New Invaders at some point though.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I get what you mean, it did seem kind of odd in places.

Did anyone else also find the dialogue in Fantastic Four #1 a bit strange at parts? Just mentioning it as it's also James Robinson.

I think these titles are my first experience of his writing, so I can't really compare with his usual style.

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Bierschneeman

@jaken7:

WOW..... I did not expect that..... I had this issue and the previous queued on my wish list on comixology... they have been removed, THANK YOU

I read the issue one preview (three pages) and wasn't able to form an opinion yet . the dialogue didn't seem off (in the first three pages) it was mostly familiar to small town banter. I currently live in a small town of...2000 i think and the dialogue could easily have been taken from a typical pair at my local diner. but after I read your review, I looked at the preview for issue 2, and 3... WOW it makes no sense anymore. its just...bad. Its not even like he kept the dialogue the same (ie EVERYONE speak like they are in line at a small town feed store), everyone has a distinct speach pattern (from what I saw) but they all had just HORRIBLE dialogue. I think you put it best, like a kids cartoon

again thank you.. I will not waste my money

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By TheManInTheShoe

@jaken7: I agree with you. When I picked it up and started reading I had to force myself to finish it because it was as if I lost my ability to read. I had to re-read some sentences to understand what he wanted to tell us.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yeah, this issue totally sucked. What a disgrace. The whole series sucked!