All characters with Invulnerability and healing factor!

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ariesxmasters

Does anyone feel as though comics would be better if not every other character had these two abilities?

Does it seem like Comics are overdoing the Invulnerability and healing factor with characters like

Superman

Wolverine

Lobo

Deadpool and the list goes onnnnnn!!!

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes and no, it seems like a lot of creators are lacking in creativity when they come up with a superhero's powers. They do seem to be the easiest to think of, up there with telepathy and flying I guess.

But on the other hand, having those powers makes it easier to have your creation survive extreme situations each month. Like at the start of the latest Hawkeye series where he breaks his legs/pelvis/everything and has to be hospitalized for 6 months. They focused in that series on how Hawkeye is an "everyman" to the extent that he spent a lot of it bruised and bandaged.

Having your hero immune to harm, or able to heal rapidly allows you to "skip over" their recuperation. So they can move from battle to battle without having to maintain a "continuity of damage". Which is especially handy if they feature in multiple series simultaneously.

I guess it really boils down to how the character themselves is actually handled.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cave_duck: You did raise a excellent point there. I can see how it does make it easier for story telling.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koshi_waza88: Yeah combining them both can be a little iffy. I feel that it is so over done sometimes.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koshi_waza88: Yeah but luckily they toned Superman down a lot all around. I mean it's kind of hard making enemies for a guy who nothing hurts him, and everyone else is vulnerable while he is invulnerable.

Jmarshmallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It works with some characters, but it can get overused.

Jmarshmallow

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aquaman. In the comic "Justice" he healed part of his brain back. New 52 his healing feats in water are practically instant.

Doesn't Hulk have one?

Hawkman. Has healed his arm from being gone to back also recovered from a explosion.

I remember that Justice scene, they'd pretty much removed Aquaman's brain to see what made him tick, then left him dead on the morgue table. Then next issue he turns up- "oh, you didn't know I had a super-healing factor? silly surface dwellers!"

Hulk has a massive healing factor, that works so well that if anything manages to penetrate his hide and damage him, for the most part by the time they've finished the cut (for example) the skin has healed. So it ties into his invulnerability. I think in "Hulk: The End" when he's the last thing on earth, each day he was eaten down to a skeleton by some weird beetle things, and he'd regrow from that in an hour or so.

DraciosV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DraciosV

It is over done sometimes. You kinda already know who will win and I do even find some characters who aren't totally invulnerable like wonder woman refreshing. Although I do quite honestly think her tanking nukes, eating a FTL punch and then getting shot with a pistol makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Personally, I just wanna see people who are super tough but get injured by heavy enough stuff. Not to say they should nerf characters necessarily. It all depends really on what you are going for.

But more characters should have more super toughness imo rather then invulnerability. You could still be strong. Very strong. Excessive over 100 tons and yet still not be invulnerable. It would be believable. And there are some characters like that. But...ya know. Should have more of that and less of the invulnerable. Maybe someone who is tougher for another reason at least. Like Midnighter. Come up with new powers. Maybe you take blunt force well but are vulnerable to heat. Or you take heat well but are vulnerable to kinetics. And probably no "Kryptonite factors" for new characters, though it isn't done a lot. But I tend to prefer characters who have more "logical" weaknesses that make sense, yet still give them an air of power as they walk through a firing squad of rifle caliber bullets.

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That was one of the things that made me stop collecting Wolverine a while ago. They'd established the limits of his healing factor and at that point it was where automatic weapons would put him down for around 10 minutes or so to repair the damage before he could start moving again.

Then suddenly he's getting shot in the back with an RPG and didn't even fall over! Using their own logic his entire chest cavity would be empty, let alone the shockwave damage to his head and limbs. But he just shrugs it off like a mild sniffle! Then in the same issue Mystique empties a handgun into his face from point blank, and that puts him completely out of it for half an hour or so!

Inconsistencies in the writing were the thing that annoyed me more than the powers of the hero I was reading.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

Invulnerability is pretty much one of the most basic super-powers, I'm fine with a lot of characters having it.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@draciosv: Yeah I was thinking the same thing about Wonder Woman myself.

Anbu_B_Team

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Invulnerability seems like such a cop out "super-power"....How is that a power? Seems like writers use it because it leaves the power set open ended.

The healing factor doesn't bother me as much because there is still suffering and pain. To punish himself Wolverine threw him self off a cliff over and over just to heal and do it again.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree and Superman is the one who kind of started those two abilities and made them very popular and every other hero is kind of jumping on the bandwagon and having one or both of these abilities.