After 7 Months what do you think of Green Lantern Simon Baz?

Radread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

Edited By Radread
No Caption Provided

Ever since his debut in issue #0 of Green Lantern last September, the latest man from Earth to wear a Green Lantern power ring, Simon Baz has been met with a lot of mixed reviews. Now, with Geoff Johns run wrapping up in Green Lantern in a couple of weeks and the character along with B'dg showing up in Justice League of America on a full time basis, what do you think of the character now? In my honest opinion, I really like him, in fact just before I launched Comics' Havok I was seriously debating creating a new Green Lantern blog that focused on just Simon and B'dg, but of course since there are so many great GL blogs out there now, I decided to go with Alex Summers since there were like... none on him.

I enjoy the origins of Simon very well and even being marked a "terrorist" because of his ethnicity. While I felt that Simon kind of came into Green Lantern unexpectedly, I remember another Green Lantern about twenty years ago who showed up under similar circumstances but with less baggage attached. I really think Simon has been established very well in the DC Universe and even him carrying a gun as back up has actually worked out well (just ask Sinestro). I do believe that Simon still has a long way to go, but hey there are still Kyle haters out there, so who am I to think that Mr. Baz will ever not have problems. In my honest words: "Welcome Simon Baz, Green Lantern of Sector 2814.

Chronus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

My opinion of him hasn't changed since his introduction: I still don't like him. Nothing he's down so far has changed that.

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By TheManInTheShoe

I think he can become a good character, though he hasn't shown so much yet. Liked him better without the mask.

flazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 52

He's cool

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Lvenger

I really liked how Johns introduced him. Baz' Third Army chapters are one of the best Green Lantern and New 52 storylines for me. Baz has a great lot of motivations and personality traits that stand out from him being a token diversity character. I'm glad Johns took an arc to flesh him out at least since his recent appearances haven't been all that good.

Binski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like him and hope he sticks around for a long while

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Dabee

I really like him, a lot. Great costume, great origin, great personality. (In no particular order.) Yeah, pretty much the whole package.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

7 months? Still feels like I barely know the guy...

Gotta say, I don't care for him too much...I really do understand what a tough life he's had, but I still have much stronger feeling towards other lanterns.

I dunno...maybe I wasn't a fan of the circumstances that brought him his ring.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By JakeN7

Love him to pieces. My favorite new character of the New 52, and he's quickly becoming an all time favorite. I love the way that Johns was able to basically recount Baz's whole backstory, and what lead him up to the point where we were introduced to him, yet there is still so much mystery and intrigue surrounding the character. Why was he chosen? What makes him unique? How come he can do things no other Green Lantern can? I also love how much of an "out-of-the-box thinker" he is. Everyone (including myself) initially thought it was the dumbest idea ever to have a Green Lantern wield a gun. But, not only did Johns give us a solid event and reason (unreliability of Baz's ring when he needed it most) for having a gun, he showed us multiple times where it's come in handy since then (him shooting Sinestro was one of the greatest panels I've ever seen.)

Plus the Zero Month was when I started collecting single issues, and up until that point I had almost exclusively read Batman trades/graphic novels. So in a way...Simon Baz was my true first Green Lantern.

I could go on and on, but yeah....I like him a lot. I'm just very uncertain about his place in the Green Lantern books after Johns leaves. I know he'll be a full member of the JLA and will be featured in that comic, but I hope he stays in at least one of the Green Lantern books. I would kill for him to get his own book. Maybe even a team-up book featuring Baz and B'dg....

This comes out on Wednesday and I'm seriously considering shelling out the $25 for it
This comes out on Wednesday and I'm seriously considering shelling out the $25 for it

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

7 months? Still feels like I barely know the guy...

Gotta say, I don't care for him too much...I really do understand what a tough life he's had, but I still have much stronger feeling towards other lanterns.

I dunno...maybe I wasn't a fan of the circumstances that brought him his ring.

this. especially the underlined part.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By longbowhunter

I think the stuff Johns wrote with Baz was his best GL work since Blackest Night. I like that he's still learning the ropes, trying to clear his name, back story of his family trouble, even partnering with B'dg. It all felt really fresh.

Radread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

If you guys want to stay tune to Baz and B'dg you can check out his new blog I moderate: Green B'dg of Courage. Join the site and let me know.