Adult D.C animation on Adult Swim (Sign my Patition)

conorbas440044

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By conorbas440044

How awsome would it be. im not up at 10am so i always miss dc nation but if it was on adult swim they could be more adult and there would be a good following because of all the japaneese cartoons they play sunday night. IT WOULD BE SO PERFECT

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By BatteredArmor

I'd watch it

Avatar image for deactivated-6030568ceeb29
deactivated-6030568ceeb29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Petition

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Gambit1024

Get a 15 minute show about The Rogues and their shenanegans and I'm totally in.

Avatar image for thewitchinghour
TheWitchingHour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By TheWitchingHour

When you say adult...

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Maybe it's because I turn it on at the wrong time, but I never cared for Adult Swim. It seemed like a lot of "adult comedy" cartoons. I never got Robot Chicken, Family Guy, Futurama, or any of those other shows. Yet for some reason I like It's Always Sunny... I don't get it.

Cartoons only have three types:

Kiddie

Middle (doesn't push it too far, but adults can like it)

Stupid satirical cartoons like the aforementioned.

It seems like Anime is the only venue where one can get serious animation for adults. And even then.... gah....

Where was I going with this? Right. Yeah, I'd like to see mature comic cartoons, but that ain't happening.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BatteredArmor

@JediXMan: Eh that's a pretty large over simplification several adult animated comedies have great serious moments and episodes, Futurama for instance has several extremely character driven episodes that prioritize character development above comedy even though they're few and far apart, along with several episodes that demonstrate a religious or scientific philosophy with valid points even though they disagree with my personal beliefs. An even better example is Moral Oral, a show that went way over the top but in the final season became so character driven and touching that it was cancelled because it quote "developed a soul" every episode of the final season made you think about humanity and feel genuine concern for the characters, Boondocks being based on a political strip also has it's moments (even though the comic was funnier and more relevant imo) along with Southpark on the other side of the spectrum which has even created the political term "Southpark Conservatism". Any way I'm rambling and I'm not trying to sell you on any of these shows, people don't like what they don't like and I respect that, I'm just pointing out that even if they're comedies adult cartoons have the potential to be serious and well written

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@BlackArmor:

Thing is, I don't like that. I think the leap from comedy-driven to drama is a hard one to pull off and must be taken with care. Most of the time, when I sit down to watch a comedy, I don't want to see a drama. It can be done; shows like Rosanne did this quite well. Perhaps it's because I don't think the shows are funny. Can comedies have drama? Can dramas have comedy? Certainly, but it is risky.

All I ask for are adult, dramatic, serious animated shows. I want that and haven't really been able to find it. Some of the Gundam shows did that for me to a point, even if the comedy got to me. I guess that's why I like the DCAU so much.

I think the problem is that the general understanding is that animation = children's programs, and therefore anything going against the status quo is shunned. The comedies get away with it because they are satirical and aren't necessarily supposed to be taken seriously; this is even shown in your Moral Oral example. Got serious, got cancelled.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BatteredArmor

@JediXMan: Fair enough like I said people don't like what they don't like and I respect that. I figure that Adult Swim DC shows would have more in common with Anime than the animated comedies

Avatar image for texasdeathmatch
texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By texasdeathmatch

@JediXMan said:

this is even shown in your Moral Oral example. Got serious, got cancelled.

Hah yeah, last season got REAL intense.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cattlebattle

Cartoon Network used to have a block of shows featuring all kinds of cartoons called Toonami.....it was the sheet. Teen Titans and Justice League were both a part of it, I recall JL came on kind of late and it went right into Adult Swim from there 

I don't know why they don't put DC nation with Star Wars on Friday nights...its a good time.

Finally, this day and age how the hell could you "miss" a show because it comes on at 10am??......there is like 50 ways to record it, or watch it on the internet

hectorsquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By hectorsquall

I agree with JediXMan: "adult, dramatic, serious animated shows" would be great but I don't see that happening any time soon :(

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13  Edited By InnerVenom123

@texasdeathmatch said:

@JediXMan said:

I loved how insane it went.

Avatar image for texasdeathmatch
texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By texasdeathmatch

Something like Spawn would be really cool. That sh*t was crazy dark.

@InnerVenom123: Yeah man, some episodes just ended on such a depressing note, so different than the earlier seasons.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BatteredArmor

@InnerVenom123 said:

@texasdeathmatch said:

@JediXMan said:

I loved how insane it went.

S3 was the best by far imo

nickthedevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By nickthedevil

@Gambit1024 said:

Get a 15 minute show about The Rogues and their shenanegans and I'm totally in.

i'd watch this.

but it'd need to be serious too.

the only comic book tv show that i've seen that was legitimately intense Was Spawn on HBO.