#1 Posted by e3zombie (720 posts) - - Show Bio

Well after the 52 I got into a lot of new comics, deathstroke, everything batman, wonder woman, TJL, Red hood and a few more but I could not pick what Superman Comic to read, anyone read both who would care to recommend?

#2 Posted by Teerack (5347 posts) - - Show Bio

Read Superman, Action Comics is awful.

#3 Edited by Manbehindthewires (344 posts) - - Show Bio

I typically read Action, but have switched to Superman for H'el on Earth . Still undecided on whether I'll switch back after. I really like Morrison's style in Action, but a fair few don't...he can get weird sometimes lol. Superman is great at the moment and probably a safer bet.

#4 Posted by NewComicGuy (129 posts) - - Show Bio

I read Action at the moment but am considering dropping Superman altogether.

#5 Posted by AllStarSuperman (20036 posts) - - Show Bio

i read both and there different in there own way. in action comics hes younger and the feel is completely different. in superman hes older, and his way more powerful, but i personally dont think its as good... the art is good in action comics, but its amazing in superman. if i were you i just go pick up a issue of both and see what you like. i like action comics more its a better story.

#6 Posted by mpierce2690 (316 posts) - - Show Bio

I read both, but Grant Morrison's writing in Action Comics reads like an acid trip. Luckily, he is coming off and Andy Diggle is coming on, and I'm optimistic about that.

Superman is a more modern story and has gotten better as of late, but Scott Lobdell tends to start strong and finish weak, so we'll see how the H'el on Earth storyline ends and how he follows it.

The new Snyder/Lee book is set to be epic though.

#7 Posted by tomlikesfries (4626 posts) - - Show Bio

Start picking Action Comics next month, when Andy Diggle comes on. Grant Morrison's run on Action was awful in my opinion.

And Superman was also pretty bad, but it got better with the arrival of a new writer in issue 13.

#8 Posted by Manbehindthewires (344 posts) - - Show Bio

@mpierce2690 said:

I read both, but Grant Morrison's writing in Action Comics reads like an acid trip. Luckily, he is coming off and Andy Diggle is coming on, and I'm optimistic about that.

I pretty much read it for Morrison's trippyness :( I'm worried that with someone like Diggle on board, I'll end up choosing between 2 very similar comics.

#9 Posted by mpierce2690 (316 posts) - - Show Bio

@Manbehindthewires said:

@mpierce2690 said:

I pretty much read it for Morrison's trippyness :( I'm worried that with someone like Diggle on board, I'll end up choosing between 2 very similar comics.

I'd like to have one Superman book where it's more of the fantastical story lines, like the H'el on Earth storyline, and one where it's more of the Metropolis/Daily Planet centered story lines. I've been saying for ages I'd rather have Detective Comics more cerebral and detective oriented and Batman more action oriented, having more of the Scarecrow/Hush/Riddler types in Detective and more of the Freeze/Bane/Joker types in Batman.

#10 Posted by Manbehindthewires (344 posts) - - Show Bio

@mpierce2690: Couldn't agree with you more with Detective! An oldschool Superman of Metropolis would be good, kind of got one in Superman: Earth One I thought, albeit a modern take.

#11 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Just wait till the new title. Neither of them are worth the cash right now, IMO.

#12 Posted by Reignmaker (2228 posts) - - Show Bio

From what I understand, Superman books have been pretty mediocre. For me, paying $4 for a mediocre product over an extended period just doesn't cut it.

I'm fine with waiting until summer to start picking up Lee and Snyder's Man of Steel.

#13 Posted by Lvenger (18329 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely pick up some trades of Morrison's run on Action Comics as it is fantastic but don't start reading it yet. You won't know what's going on. Wait until Diggle starts writing as he's pretty good too or pick up the new title by Snyder and Lee. Keep away from Superman though. Even though it's an improvement, Lobdell is only doing an average or decent job which isn't what Superman deserves.

#14 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm really enjoying both but I prefer Superman.