ACTION COMICS #1 VOTED COMIC VINE'S MOST ICONIC COMIC BOOK COVER!

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

Edited By sinestro_GL
No Caption Provided

As some of you may be aware of, during the past week or so, the community had been engaged in voting for 'the most iconic comic book cover of all-time' - hosted by myself (here's the link to the main thread: VOTING OPEN: CV's Most Iconic Comic Book Cover Of All-Time).

In the end, Action Comics #1 prevailed against Amazing Fantasy #15.

HOW IT HAPPENED:

• I started a thread on June 24th proposing my idea, and inviting members of the community to join me in nominating 5 covers each (along with reasons) to battle it out for the most iconic comic book cover of all-time
  • We ended up with 21 nominators and 91 nominations ranging across 75 years of comic book history. The covers are presented in this beautiful collage of awesomeness:
  • No Caption Provided
    The 21 nominators were then assigned 5 votes each, and the top 32 (which can be viewed in the OP of the main thread [link above]) were then chosen to compete in this unprecedented community vote
  • Using a seeding system (based on votes gathered) the draw was made
  • Voting was then extended to the community, whereby each member was able to vote for each pairing in each round (each round lasting 24 hours)
  • After 5 rounds of voting, and __ votes cast, a winner was chosen!

The Draw:

No Caption Provided

What a very interesting draw it was! Some of the highlights included:

The Final

No Caption Provided

Though there may have been upsets along the way, few could have been disappointed with this match-up, pitting the poster boys of both DC and Marvel against each other. As the draw wore on, it became clearer and clearer which covers would battle it out in the final. Action Comics came out on top of the vote with 20 votes in favour, against Spidey's 8.

Action Comics #1 (1938)

No Caption Provided

Artist: Joe Schuster and Jack Adler

Nominated by user: htb106

From the start, I'd imagine that many would have thought that this cover would make it all the way to final - but, it was important to test this hypothesis.

As you can see from the draw above, this was by no means a straight-forward path.

Action Comics #1, currently the most expensive comic book in the world, was the cover that gave inspiration to many comic book heroes throughout the ages as the world first read the adventures of Kal-El.

Many artists have paid homage to this immortal cover, including the eponymous web-slinger Action Comics #1's opponent in the final: Spider-Man:

No Caption Provided

The middle cover being a special tribute cover when Action Comics reached their 900th issue!

Amazing Fantasy #15 (1961)

No Caption Provided

Artist: Jack Kirby

Nominated by user: htb106

Though the inclusion in the final of Action Comics #1 would have appeared to be straight-forward, the choice of its opponent was less obvious. Many can validly claim several worthy covers to battle it out against the last son of Krypton in this knock-out battle. However, looking back on the draw, no cover had preformed so strongly in two rounds, leaving little doubt as who the final should be contested by.

This cover, by the legendary Jack Kirby - the most represented artist on the initial list of 91 covers (ahead of Neal Adams and Bob Kane) was the birth of a new type of superhero that would captivate the world in the same way that the more traditional heroes at DC had done previously.

...and just like Action Comics #1, this cover has also had its fair share of admirers:

No Caption Provided

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS:

Firstly, I'd like to give a huge thank you to all those involved and made this happen! I had a load of fun looking at all the wonderful covers put forward and reading all the reasons, digging up the artists, researching the years of publication, and eagerly awaited to see how the community would vote with each passing round!

I'd also like to thank for giving me the inspiration to host such a community-wide vote, for his guidance and advice during the early stages of this project's creation, and for being one of the 21 nominators!

BIG THANKS TO THE NOMINATORS:

ANOTHER THANKS TO ALL THE VOTERS!

ALL OF YOU GUYS ROCK!

THANKS FOR AN AWESOME PROJECT!

Yours sincerely,

sinestro_GL

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By sinestro_GL

@kfhrfdu_89_76k said:

It was nice to be a part of this project. And even if the whole community didn`t vote on this (it`s pretty much impossible), who cares?

I do...

Wuuhuu!!!! Action comics 1!

I saw that coming.

@sinestro_GL said:

ALL OF YOU GUYS ROCK!

THANKS FOR AN AWESOME PROJECT!

Yours sincerely,

sinestro_GL

Thank YOU!

One day ^^

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By SandMan_
@sinestro_GL: Just as it should be :D
BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By BatteredArmor

@sinestro_GL: You did awesome work on this _GL good job.

Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Icon

Awesome job! And the result is as it should be. Well done everyone.

htb106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By htb106

You did loads of good work on this, well done.

I'm glad I could be a part of this list and I hope there'll be more in the future.

Queso6p4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 21

#8  Edited By Queso6p4

@sinestro_GL: Many thanks for giving us the opportunity.

DoomDoomDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By DoomDoomDoom

@sinestro_GL: Thanks again for letting me be a nominator, and also for the awesome idea!

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#10  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

Great job! I'm sorry I missed the latter part of the project but I'm glad to see this went so well.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Blood1991

I appreciate all the work you did on this. It was awesome!

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sinestro_GL

@htb106 said:

You did loads of good work on this, well done.

I'm glad I could be a part of this list and I hope there'll be more in the future.

More? Maybe...I'd have to come up with a, for-lack-of-a-better-word, iconic subject matter to work on. But I definitely envisage myself doing more ^^

If so, I'll send a call-out!

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Twentyfive

Yep! I had those two in mind. Those are the two best covers in comic history, closely followed by the Cap Returns issue of the Avengers. The rest come from there.