Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2608 posts) - - Show Bio

What defines a hero? The dictionary defines it as "A person who is admired for courage or noble qualities". What defines a superhero? Powers? Weapons? Skills? All of these are components to a superhero yes, but to me what truly separates a hero from a superhero is one simple difference. A costume. Let me explain.

When a policeman or a firefighter put on their uniforms it readily identifies them. For a superhero their costumes ARE their uniforms and you could call them either and be correct. A costume for a superhero makes them a symbol.

To further elaborate I'll be using a character that has been the subject of many an argument over the years, Zorro

Zorro was created in 1919, years before Superman would appear and coin the term superhero. However Zorro shares many similarities to the traditional idea of a superhero. He fights crime and injustice, he helps people, he has a secret identity, he wears a mask and an easily identifiable costume, he has a secret hideout, he's extremely skilled in combat. Compare those qualities to a modern superhero and Zorro truly does fit the criteria to be a superhero.

However there are people that insist Zorro isn't a superhero. Their main argument is that since Zorro was created BEFORE the idea of a superhero he's simply a vigilante character that happens to share many similarities with traditional superheroes.

For a more modern example of what could fall under superhero guidelines is Casey Jones

Casey Jones is what most would indeed call a vigilante, but let's look at it like this. Casey actually does have a secret identity , his real name is Arnold Bernid Jones, with Casey being a nickname. He wears an easily identifiable outfit, hockey mask with a golf-bag full of sports equipment, and fights crime. Is he a hero or a superhero?

So what is the difference between a hero and a superhero? A hero is someone you may know, someone that proves themselves everyday without a costume. A superhero is someone that makes themselves more than just a man or woman and by putting on a costume they transcend mortality and become something timeless, something legendary.

#1 Posted by Bain (16 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that is quite clever and I agree with you. I never really thought about this until now but somehow this sentence:

"A hero is someone you may know, someone that proves themselves everyday without a costume. A superhero is someone that makes themselves more than just a man or woman and by putting on a costume they transcend mortality and become something timeless, something legendary."

somehow sums it up but as well has an impact that feels like this is the right way of looking at it.

I am not sure whether i am really adding anything to this but i think you nailed it lol

Perhaps a Superhero is something all Heroes strive to reach? That status? And a superhero doesn't necessarily need a costume to be known as a hero or superhero since the costume doesn't make the hero but the person who is wearing it...

#2 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

for me it's quite simple: a super hero is that, SUPER. a hero that goes even further beyond. (SSj3 LOL). someone who is not only a hero, but transcends (using your words) what a regular hero does, he goes beyond human, not necessarily into the super human realm but into an area that no regular person dreams of achieving. that's why Batman is a super hero even though he isn't super powered, because he is SUPER.

I don't think the costume is the really big part here because the are super heroes without costumes. also, what about super villains? do they have to have costumes to be super?

#3 Posted by Moondas (50 posts) - - Show Bio

i think a hero is someone you helps but doesnt have SUPER powers like peace officers and firefighter and batman he is a hero in my opinion he is almost a superhero blue beetle is also a hero but sometimes is a super hero a superhero is someone like superman a man with super powers like wonder woman a regular woman granted the powers of the gods ( i meant to say amazonian ) and side note: im watching young justice rn and my aspects on a hero have changed a hero is someone who is willing to put themselve at risk for the betterment of other organic or inorganic beings

#4 Posted by Moondas (50 posts) - - Show Bio

i think a hero is someone you helps but doesnt have SUPER powers like peace officers and firefighter and batman he is a hero in my opinion he is almost a superhero blue beetle is also a hero but sometimes is a super hero a superhero is someone like superman a man with super powers like wonder woman a regular woman granted the powers of the gods ( i meant to say amazonian ) and side note: im watching young justice rn and my aspects on a hero have changed a hero is someone who is willing to put themselve at risk for the betterment of other organic or inorganic beings

#5 Posted by Moondas (50 posts) - - Show Bio

i think a hero is someone you helps but doesnt have SUPER powers like peace officers and firefighter and batman he is a hero in my opinion he is almost a superhero blue beetle is also a hero but sometimes is a super hero a superhero is someone like superman a man with super powers like wonder woman a regular woman granted the powers of the gods ( i meant to say amazonian )

and side note: im watching young justice rn and my aspects on a hero have changed a hero is someone who is willing to put themselve at risk for the betterment of other organic or inorganic beings

#6 Edited by Billy Batson (57747 posts) - - Show Bio

@moondas said:

i think a hero is someone you helps but doesnt have SUPER powers like peace officers and firefighter and batman he is a hero in my opinion he is almost a superhero blue beetle is also a hero but sometimes is a super hero a superhero is someone like superman a man with super powers like wonder woman a regular woman granted the powers of the gods ( i meant to say amazonian )

and side note: im watching young justice rn and my aspects on a hero have changed a hero is someone who is willing to put themselve at risk for the betterment of other organic or inorganic beings

Batman is a superhero. Compared to regular humans he does superheroic deeds.

BB

#7 Posted by Billy Batson (57747 posts) - - Show Bio

@moondas said:

Batman is a superhero. Compared to regular humans he does superheroic deeds.

BB

#8 Posted by theodixon9 (539 posts) - - Show Bio

Seems legit.

#10 Posted by RustyRoy (10829 posts) - - Show Bio

I kind of agree with the OP. I'd also like to add that even if the said hero doesn't have powers but he fights Superhuman villains then he can be considered a Superhero.

#11 Posted by RustyRoy (10829 posts) - - Show Bio

I kind of agree with the OP. I'd also like to add that even if the said hero doesn't have powers but he fights Superhuman villains then he can be considered a Superhero.