About Harrison Wells... (SPOILERS FOR CW'S THE FLASH)

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So this is just to clear some things up about the good Professor, just to lay everything out on the table and try to get it all straight going forward. There's a lot of stuff going on where he's concerned, so I want to make sure I've got it all right as we head into the grand finale. Last spoiler warning before I dive in.

Still here? M'kay:

So let's start off by getting the timeline/circumstances straight: In the year 2020, Harrison Wells and his wife Tess create a particle accelerator that backfires, empowering all kinds of people, one of them being Barry Allen, who gains a connection to the Speed Force, and of his own means somehow becomes the Flash, complete with suit. In the 25th Century, Eobard Thawne somehow gains Negative Speed Force abilities, and travels back in time to fight the Flash. During a Crisis, Barry corners Thawne, who travels back in time to when Barry was a child, hoping to kill him before he can ever become the Flash. Barry successfully saves his younger self, though his mother is killed by shrapnel from the fight thrown at superspeed. Meanwhile, sent running from the fight, Eobard crumbles, his powers exhausted. Eventually he kills and takes the form of Harrison Wells to accelerate the timeline, hoping to get back to the 25th Century and restore his powers.

As for Eobard/Well's scheme, thus far, it was, as I recall: Get Barry powered up, start coaching him, training him, get enough fuel in Thawne's tank to let him engage Barry directly. Use that encounter to taunt Barry about his mother's death, beat him down, using that encounter to give Barry a real reason to start pushing his limits as fast and hard as he can. Meanwhile, exploit Joe's protective and cop instincts to convince him to keep his cards under the table and investigate quietly, rather than immediately bringing his suspicions to Barry. Doing so gives Thawne more time to build up power, and trust between him and Barry. When Barry's ready, and on the verge of performing a timejump (heralded by parallel deja vu, which Barry would obviously tell Wells about), kill whichever of the STAR Labs members is closer to discovering the connection between Wells and Reverse-Flash, knowing that Barry post-timejump wouldn't be able to resist changing history and thus giving the killed member dreams of their traumatic death. Subtly guide the investigation to uncover the dreams, making sure to have recovered Everyman (who Thawne would know about as a member of the Rogues) by this point, let them set up a trap, release Everyman, give him the script, make the grand escape.

As for why he's going to all this trouble to get Barry up to speed when he apparently hates him so much (most of this is speculation based on the comics): Thawne, as in the comics, uses the Negative Speed Force, hence the inverted colors. The NSF draws it's energy from the real Speed Force, which Barry is inextricably linked to: It lets him run fast, and as he runs, he generates more of it. In turn, the NSF grows in power directly equal to the SF. The equal/opposite reaction, so to speak. By the 25th Century, Barry's run most of his life prior to dying. And more than likely generated other Speedsters also fueled by the Speed Force. So the NSF, untapped til then, is pretty full. Thawne taps into it, and starts time traveling to fight Barry, generating more fuel for himself. However, when he traveled back in time to when Barry was a kid, there was no Speed Force, due to Barry not yet having his powers. He was able to keep going for a bit since Future Flash was right on his tail, but Thawne quickly started to run empty, which was only exacerbated after Future Flash left and what energy their fight had generated quickly ran out. So now he's getting Barry up to speed to fuel his own powers and get home.

If you've read all that, a genuine congratulations to you: Have I got it all right? Am I missing/forgetting anything? Have I got anything wrong? If so, please correct as necessary.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Wolfrazer

Nice, though what kinda baffles me is that the Accelerator was blown in the further future. Yet it seems as by the initial story with Thawne, that Future Barry seems better than present Barry at both utilizing his speed very well in a fight.

Yet Present Barry doesn't seem to show this except against Arrow and Everyman and even then his attacks were still somewhat avoided or he was tagged. His fight against RF he pretty much got stomped.

So how would it be that Future Barry is better than the current Barry when the Accelerator blew up the 1st time in the far future?

Unless Future Barry went through all the things Present Barry did, just in the future. But then who trained Barry?

Idk...eh...just seems kinda odd when looking at it.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Nice, though what kinda baffles me is that the Accelerator was blown in the further future. Yet it seems as by the initial story with Thawne, that Future Barry seems better than present Barry at both utilizing his speed very well in a fight.

Yet Present Barry doesn't seem to show this except against Arrow and Everyman and even then his attacks were still somewhat avoided or he was tagged.

So how would it be that Future Barry is better than the current Barry when the Accelerator blew up the 1st time in the far future?

Unless Future Barry went through all the things Present Barry did, just in the future.

Idk...eh...just seems kinda odd when looking at it.

the accelerator blows in 2020 and Barry disappears in 2024 so he had 4 years to learn how to use his powers...plus we've got to figure in that this would be an older more mature Barry as well

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danhimself: Hm...yeah true, I was completely disregarding the years there. Anyway, can't wait for the fight to actually happen.

Avatar image for supermanwithatan01
Supermanwithatan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's somewhat confusing that they're dealing with 4 different time periods

NeonGameWave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amazing analysis and breakdown! The more Thawne is revealed the more we will learn about how he connects to Barry in regards to the Negative Speed Force and Speed Force there are different timelines involved in the storyline but the framework was setup nicely.

I understand where they are trying to go with The Flash and I am looking forward to what comes next but I also wonder in regards to how much the show might differ from the comics as the execution of direction in relation to the unique changes that have been made was expertly done.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to say that in the Crisis with the Reverse Flash you could read in the Newspaper that he fought him with Green Arrow (YES it mentioned him as Green arrow not Arrow), The Atom and Hawkgirl.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also I think that it is mentioned that Nora was killed with a knife so I think that he stabbed her. Barry's dad tried to stabilize the knife and that's what made him guilty.

SuperAdam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SuperAdam

Its simple.

The Reverse Flash somehow gained Speed Force powers in the future. He uses these powers to travel back in time, and fights The Flash. In 2024, The Flash and the Reverse Flash are fighting, and they end up time traveling, fighting each other in different time periods over centuries. The Reverse Flash during the fight decides to do what he should've done in the first place, and travel to when Barry Allen was a child and kill him, but The Flash somehow time travels to that time period, too, and the Reverse Flash ends up killing the Flash's mother, instead. The Reverse Flash somehow used up his connection to the Speed Force during this epic, time travelling battle. For some reason, the Reverse Flash is losing his connection to the speed force. Blah, blah, blah, he builds the particle accelerator and trains Barry Allen to become as fast as possible. His goal is to get Barry the best connection to the Speed Force as possible, and then use the meta human's ability from "Power Outage" to steal Barry's speed and give back his full connection to the speed force (Watch the ending of that episode again). This might've been his goal all along, to steal the Flash's speed. Perhaps, for some reason, Thaune was never able to give himself 100% of Barry's powers, so he traveled back in time to use that thing he used on Wells on Barry. But when he was stranded in the past, he was forced to impersonate Wells, instead. Perhaps that thing only has a one time use. So he was looking for a different way to steal the Flash's powers.