• 53 results
kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Man of Steel was NOT panned by Critics

As a matter of fact it didn't even receive any negative reviews even it's lowest scorers Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes show over half the reviews to be positive. (The latter's openly said he thought their critics had actually done the film a disservice with their scores.) It's the most polarising comic book movie to date.

It received extremely positive word of mouth on release, and performed very well at the box office. It enjoyed very positive reviews from the fans. It was let down by unsubstantiated, lazy 'criticism' - and still is - and critics who expected a direct, rainbow filled to Donner's Superman. On whole reviewed with nostalgia and not their minds. That isn't to say it's faultless, but a vast majority of it's criticism does not hold up.

It becomes overwhelmingly obvious in many cases of 'criticism' the reviewer didn't really watch the movie, as their reviews are littered with factual discrepancies about the movie. It was not perfect. But it was good. Great even. Each to their own: film is subjective. But the assertion this film is 'factually bad' or received negative reviews is factually, frankly, wrong.

IMDB 7.2

IGN 9/10

Rotten Tomatoes 56%

Metacritic 55%

Roger Ebert 3/4

Cinemascore A-

Community 8.8

Audience Score 76%

Rotten Tomatoes Audience score 62%

Avatar image for darkdetective27
darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

Just let it go. No ones opinion is going to change. Its over buddy. Now its time to judge BvS.

Avatar image for deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3
deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Any criticism I don't agree with is lazy! This thing I like and a lot of others don't is good because I say so!"

If you want to discuss or debate the film, fine, but just remember, MoS Superman is a murderer. That's right, they decided it was a good idea to make Superman a murderer.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally I thought it was just an ok film. It wasnt horrible it wasnt great just somewhere inbetween.

JTMac005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MoS was better than I thought it was going to be. But BvS is going to be epic

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkdetective27: I just thought it was an interesting statement that I should post. I'm never the one to try change opinion.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Any criticism I don't agree with is lazy! This thing I like and a lot of others don't is good because I say so!"

If you want to discuss or debate the film, fine, but just remember, MoS Superman is a murderer. That's right, they decided it was a good idea to make Superman a murderer.

Hey, you can criticize his characterization all you want but he literally did not murder anyone in the movie lol at least use the correct terminology

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By darkdetective27

@kfabz-23: Oh its all cool. It is kind of interesting.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000: You can look up the definition of murder or murderer if you'd like, that's on you. Superman snapping poor, defenseless Zod's neck would be murder. Under the second-degree.

It seems like Goyer and Snyder either didn't read or totally ignored an obscure story titled, Kingdom Come.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000: You can look up the definition of murder or murderer if you'd like, that's on you. Superman snapping poor, defenseless Zod's neck would be murder. Under the second-degree.

It seems like Goyer and Snyder either didn't read or totally ignored an obscure story titled, Kingdom Come.

No it wasn't.

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By BeaconofStrength

I'd rather have an annual Holocaust happen rather than having to watch Man of Steel for a second time.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

K.

Beata

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

I certainly found myself more invested than I expected to be, not being a Superman fan.

Nowadays I think the movie's quite beautiful.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By Lvenger

Still trying to compete with Wildcard for being MOS' biggest apologist I see. Also the newspapers, film shows and review magazines were extremely harsh in their MOS reviews.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The neck snap murder debate is still going on hahaha?

oh well whatever it's 2015. Superman got his hands dirty and clearly felt bad about it, and it was a lose lose situation...he panicked, now that he was clearly emotionally distraught over it he will never do it again. It's no different then him ripping parademons apart left and right in the new 52 while smiling. "They don't count they weren't alive anymore apparently" Tall that to Val Zod in earth 2 who refused.

If you like the movie you like it, if you don't you don't my problem are the people from either side with smug comments trying to belittle the people who do or do not like the film "oh so you like murder then ok cool" that they know will instigate a fight lol

MrHamWallet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's a lot wrong with it but it's a good film at least. I'm not a big Superman fan but I really liked the way it was done.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uh no, just no. Zod was in the act of attempted murder (the family). If someone is about to kill your mom and you kill them before they can harm your mom are you a murderer – no. If Zod had stopped what he was about to do AND THEN Superman snapped his neck then it would be murder. But then again I’m not familiar with the laws regarding self-defense in the fictional city of Metropolis so take my opinion with a grain of salt :-P

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

Still trying to compete with Wildcard for being MOS' biggest apologist I see. Also the newspapers, film shows and review magazines were extremely harsh in their MOS reviews.

Really people had opinions!!! Lets be honest: MoS was better than Marvel's worst films (Iron man 2, Thor 2). People don't even talk about those films anymore yet we're still talking about MoS. And the dude gave legit numbers so calling him an apologist is akin to someone calling you a hater.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RetconCrisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Leatherface003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Leatherface003

First of all Congrats MoS. I am one of the biggest defender of MoS because I loved that movie and it's better than 90% of Marvel movies. I don't have any probs with people having different opinion than mine my prob is people having stupid opinions like Super won't do that, Superman is not like that. specially in social media sites where most of the people knowledge base are Superman cartoons.

The movie had probs and people who didn't like it should bring out those issues like the chemistry between Superman and Lois or maybe the pacing of the movie or the fact is Cavill had fewer lines and maybe acting was low. these are the criticism you will hear from a good legit reviewer. not whine about what Superman's characteristics should be or the film should be more lighthearted. so yes the movie was not perfect but the problems most people had with it was dumb imo.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

Roger Ebert is the only one I care about. Wish he was around for BVS. RIP

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

MB25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: You're still so butthurt over Man of Steel. You're always the first one to retort with something negative but yet you initally gave it a 7/10. It mustve really turned your childhood upside down. Don't worry bro you're getting you're Superman, Its called Supergirl and it'll be on CBS this fall.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: Look who's chasing after who in this scenario. My comment was directed at someone else this time round, I don't always spend my MOS debates countering your apologist defense.

@mb25 said:

@lvenger: You're still so butthurt over Man of Steel. You're always the first one to retort with something negative but yet you initally gave it a 7/10. It mustve really turned your childhood upside down. Don't worry bro you're getting you're Superman, Its called Supergirl and it'll be on CBS this fall.

Not butthurt I'm afraid, just disappointment and sadness that my favourite character got such a bad film and depiction for the modern age when he deserves much better. Also, I first gave it a 6/10 originally, not a 7/10 though you do get extra credit for almost getting my original review score right. As for Supergirl, I'm not that excited for it either. Don't be too presumptuous in knowing what my tastes are, just because I hate MOS doesn't mean I'm going to bandwagon Supergirl. Reductive reasoning right there.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Wasn't Roger Ebert dead when it came out?

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb25 said:

Lol was that a slam on supergirl? I thought the pilot was okay but certain things could have been done better (the sister working for a government agency, the fighting was a bit off was hoping for a bit more super speed). I still have hopes for the show because of the creative team behind it.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@saintwildcard: Look who's chasing after who in this scenario. My comment was directed at someone else this time round, I don't always spend my MOS debates countering your apologist defense.

Chasing? You bad mouthing me is the same damn thing you were doing that I called you out on. YOu really gotta let it go and leave me out of your nonsense.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

Chasing? You bad mouthing me is the same damn thing you were doing that I called you out on. YOu really gotta let it go and leave me out of your nonsense.

Calling me out when I was directing my comment at another MOS defender certainly sounds like chasing to me. I didn't call you out for a debate or challenge your unyielding devotion to the Church of Cav-El. But sure take it as an attack on you just because I disagree with someone else who likes MOS. I've left you out for quite some time now thankfully.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

So the main culprit for the hate is the internet. Well that just settles it.

No Caption Provided

And as one of MOS's biggest defenders for a while even I can tell that it wasn't as good as it could have been. And with DC sticking to the "Dark is better" it appears I won't get a Superman film were he smiles for a bit. I mean come on. Henry Cavil had the whole Clark Kent smile down.

No Caption Provided

Imagine the smile he could pull off as Superman. It would be awesome.

But no, he is made to mope around like the girl from bloody Twighlight. Ugh. Rant over

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's definitely something to be said about re-watching it. The first time I saw it I didn't really like it, but several months later I put it on again and enjoyed it more. On third viewing I thought it was a solid 7/10.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SaintWildcard

@lvenger said:
@saintwildcard said:
@lvenger said:

Calling me out when I was directing my comment at another MOS defender certainly sounds like chasing to me. I didn't call you out for a debate or challenge your unyielding devotion to the Church of Cav-El. But sure take it as an attack on you just because I disagree with someone else who likes MOS. I've left you out for quite some time now thankfully.

Directing it to someone else but mentioning me is the same thing. As if you calling me an apologist is a positive thing

Still trying to compete with Wildcard for being MOS' biggest apologist I see.

Yup, no negative intention there/sarcasm. I don't care if you don't like what I like, that's always been the case. But stop talking about me in a negative manner (atleast in a public forum when I can see it), you weirdo. Or at the very least don't mention my name.

Redatom1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought MOS was better than most marvel movies, sure there were problems but come on, it's hate is not justified properly, people claiming him as a killer? Get the F outta here, maybe they didn't watch the ending properly.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger:

I have no special feelings about MoS, but do you know what i think is hilarious? In every related thread with MoS that i read supporters use every kind of argument to discredit Rotten Tomatoes, but now we see them post and acknowledge the importance of RT in the movie industry in 10 threads that were created in this site around FF 2015...

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's funny how it's the same people that, inevitability, pop up in threads like these. And how the conversations so quickly turn disrespectful toward the tastes of others

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: Admittedly that is odd that Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB are suddenly being given more precedence when it's not a DC film under the critical microscope. Still, it's not as if there isn't cause to doubt how mismatched of a film this new FF movie is.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43  Edited By Mrnoital

Congratulations Man of Steel

one of the best CBM's in the last decade at least

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man of Steel is the best Dragonball Z movie ever made.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man of Steel is the best Dragonball Z movie ever made.

Shame DBZ can't make a good live action movie.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ULTRAstarkiller

Who cares?

Deadgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed the movie. Mos definitely had its flaws but internet seems to hate that movie a lot.

lamdaddy20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Is this necessary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redatom1234: Yeah, we watched the ending with our feet. When I watched it using my eyes, it turns out that Clark didn't help destroy Smallville, he didn't ignore scared civilians, and he didn't snap Zod's neck. Clark killed someone, that factually makes him a killer.

Goyer and Snyder thought they were being edgy and clever with the neck snapping scene. By killing, he now knows not to kill?That's ridiculous.

Zod said, and I'm paraphrasing, "This doesn't end until one of us dies." Superman proved the villain right. He should have overcome and defeated Zod on his own terms, by not killing. Proving to him that peace is the better alternative and all life is sacred.

@heatforce: You're totally right. I was exaggerating, but it does keep in tone with MoS. This exaggerated, dark, 9/11 fueled take on Superman.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redatom1234: Yeah, we watched the ending with our feet. When I watched it using my eyes, it turns out that Clark didn't help destroy Smallville, he didn't ignore scared civilians, and he didn't snap Zod's neck. Clark killed someone, that factually makes him a killer.

Goyer and Snyder thought they were being edgy and clever with the neck snapping scene. By killing, he now knows not to kill?That's ridiculous.

Zod said, and I'm paraphrasing, "This doesn't end until one of us dies." Superman proved the villain right. He should have overcome and defeated Zod on his own terms, by not killing. Proving to him that peace is the better alternative and all life is sacred.

@heatforce: You're totally right. I was exaggerating, but it does keep in tone with MoS. This exaggerated, dark, 9/11 fueled take on Superman.

What's wrong with a different take on superman? It's not like there isn't a hundred different versions already. Besides the version of Superman I think you want you already got with the Reeves films and Superman returns. I can understand altering a character to the point they're unrecognizable is bad but MoS didn't do that. Now a few films did alter the characters to the point of absurdity like cat woman, Ghost rider, venom in spiderman 3, etc.