#1 Edited by Sean2206 (30 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay so Hi long time Giant Bomber fairly new to Comic Vine.

So anyway earlier this year with the new 52 and all I finally got into comic books Batman and most of that family of books along with Teen Titans, Flash and JL. I'm also starting to work my way through some marvel comics in particular amazing spider-man. I also picked up some of the big stories that interested me like Death in the Family, Long Halloween, Red Son and others.

Anyway I'm also interested in picking up Green Lantern but I'm wondering if I could just get the main Green Lantern comic and not get the red lantern, Green lantern corps and new guardians and still follow the stories. It's just from what I can find these 4 series seem to intertwine and cross-over a lot.

I'd also like to ask what other series of the new 52 would you recommend to a newish reader who is sort of up to date with continuity as well as what older noteworthy stories of DC as a whole or any of these series would you recommend ?

Thanks for any recommendations.

#2 Posted by The Poet (8335 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sean2206: I'm not reading any GL series except for the regular GL and I'm understanding it pretty well. I don't know what the crossover will be like, but I'm doing well with GL and I'm fairly new to that branch of DC...

#3 Posted by SmashBrawler (5624 posts) - - Show Bio

There's no problem if you only read Green Lantern. So far, they haven't really crossovered. You might want to read these stories before, though...

Essential reading is in bold

1. Green Lantern: Rebirth
  2. Green Lantern: No Fear
  3. Green Lantern Corps: Recharge
  4. Green Lantern: Revenge of the Green Lanterns
  5. Green Lantern Corps: To Be a Lantern
  6. Green Lantern: Wanted: Hal Jordan
  7. Green Lantern Corps: Dark Side of the Green
  8. Sinestro Corps War
  9. Green Lantern Corps: Ring Quest
  10. Green Lantern: Secret Origin
  11. Green Lantern: Rage of the Red Lanterns
  12. Green Lantern Corps: Sins of the Star Sapphire
  13. Green Lantern: Agent Orange
  14. Green Lantern Corps: Emerald Eclipse
  15. Blackest Night/Blackest Night: Green Lantern/Blackest Night: Green Lantern Corps
  16. Green Lantern Corps: Revolt of the Alpha Lanterns
  17. Brightest Day: Green Lantern
  18. Green Lantern Corps: The Weaponer
  19. Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors
  20. War of the Green Lanterns
  21. Green Lantern Vol. 1: Sinestro
  22. Green Lantern Corps Vol. 1: Fearsome
  23. Green Lantern: New Guardians Vol. 1: The Ring Bearer
  24. Red Lanterns Vol. 1: Blood and Rage

...but it's not really obligatory (although Sinestro Corps War IS a DC must-read).

Other awesome stuff:

• Planet Hulk
  • JLA: The Nail
  • JLA: Another Nail
  • All Star Superman
  • Kingdom Come
  • Year One, Long Halloween, Killing Joke, etc.
#4 Posted by britsera (204 posts) - - Show Bio

You probably can (not totally sure, I don't follow GL outside of JL). I would give it a shot, and if you find it too confusing, just follow the others via wiki or something.

I would expect it is something similar to the Bat Family, where little notes are added here and there for issues that cover events being referred to (allowing you to pick a choose what issues to read. For example, Red Hood appeared in one of the Batman books during CoO, and there was a note at the bottom, "see RHATO issue x" for his side of the CoO).

#5 Edited by Sean2206 (30 posts) - - Show Bio

Right so thanks for the help and recommendations I'm going to pick up Green Lantern or my next visit to the comic store and probably get some of these recommendations. The nail seems pretty interesting along with some other trade paperbacks like Knightfall and Planet Hulk.

@SmashBrawler: I'd also ask which of those Green Lantern stories would I need to read before looking at the new stuff. Y'know so I could catch up on the other vital stuff later but what do I need to have read going in. I assume the whole Hal Jordan evil thing and Brightest day/Blackest night but what else?

And is Green Arrow any good he seems like a fairly interesting character but the comic seems to get very little coverage ?

#6 Posted by chalkshark (1187 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sean2206: Green Arrow is an interesting character. One could even argue that Green Arrow is a great character. His new series, though, should be lining birdcages. Don't waste your money. If you want to read Green Arrow, read pre-52 back issues.

Add my voice to those that say you can read Green Lantern without picking up the other Lantern series. It's a remarkably self contained series, though that will change with the huge crossover coming up.

#7 Posted by SmashBrawler (5624 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sean2206: Green Arrow is pretty cool, but his current series is absolute garbage. This is the stuff I recommend from him:

1. Green Arrow: Year One
  2. Green Lantern/Green Arrow
  3. Green Arrow Vol. 1: Quiver
  4. Green Arrow Vol. 2: The Sounds of Violence
  5. Green Arrow Vol. 3: Archer's Quest
  6. Green Arrow Vol. 4: Straight Shooter
  7. Green Arrow Vol. 5: City Walls
  8. Green Arrow Vol. 6: Moving Targets

There's more Green Arrow trades along the way. I think the collected this series in 9 volumes.