#1 Edited by Battle_Forum_Junkie (7568 posts) - - Show Bio

So, I awhile ago I bought a Batman & Son trade with the intention of collecting Grant Morrison's entire run. I ended up putting it off, but just recently I decided to start up again and finish collecting them.

Anyway, the next one on my list Batman R.I.P., and I've heard that it can be really confusing. I'd like to avoid this if possible, so I was wondering if there was anything I should read before this. Maybe a prologue or something?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks for reading. :)

#2 Posted by JakeN7 (10653 posts) - - Show Bio

I have his whole run collected, one of the best in Batman's history! If you only have Batman and Son, then R.I.P. isn't next. The Black Glove is. But honestly, R.I.P. just plain is confusing. It's a mind-bending, psychological thriller type of story. It's way out there, and won't make a whole lot of sense the first time you read it. If you're not into getting a little mindf****d, I suggest you should probably stop reading Morrison. Lol.

#3 Posted by Z3RO180 (6307 posts) - - Show Bio

@jaken7: Mindf£&k is quite tame when describing morrisons work.

#4 Posted by ccraft (5043 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman and Son, The Black Glove, The Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul, Batman R.I.P

#5 Edited by Battle_Forum_Junkie (7568 posts) - - Show Bio

@jaken7:

Oh, I know the Black Glove is after Batman & Son and I just recently bought it. That's why I said the next one on my list was R.I.P. Sorry for the confusion.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I actually prefer the mind-bending Batman stories, I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't something I should read before it, because I read it was so confusing some people where turned off of Morrison's work altogether.

#6 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh, I know the Black Glove is after Batman & Son and I just recently bought it. That's why I said the next one on my list was R.I.P. Sorry for the confusion.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I actually prefer the mind-bending Batman stories, I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't something I should read before it, because I read it was so confusing some people where turned off of Morrison's work altogether.

R.I.P. is absolutely fantastic, matter of fact, I'm rereading it right now. You'll be totally lost at first, but once you get the gist of the story, it becomes a lot clearer. Hit me up if you ever want to discuss the more weird bits, BFJ ;)

#7 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84520 posts) - - Show Bio
Moderator Online
#8 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (7568 posts) - - Show Bio
@veshark said:

@battle_forum_junkie said:

R.I.P. is absolutely fantastic, matter of fact, I'm rereading it right now. You'll be totally lost at first, but once you get the gist of the story, it becomes a lot clearer. Hit me up if you ever want to discuss the more weird bits, BFJ ;)

I'll be ordering it this weekend actually. I finished the Black Glove last night and I think my brain exploded. I can hardly wait to get my hands on R.I.P.

#9 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (7568 posts) - - Show Bio

@gambler: Thanks, man. I think I'll check that out. It looks pretty interesting.

#10 Posted by ImagineMan16 (466 posts) - - Show Bio

Chances you, you won't understand much of R.I.P. the first time you read it. Its engineered to screw with your head.

#11 Edited by HeckTate (1100 posts) - - Show Bio

IMO almost all of Morrison's work is at least a little confusing, but that's because he writes about things with more complexity than just good guys beating the bad guys. He's by far my favorite comic book writer, but I can totally understand how some people are turned off by his style. For Batman RIP I would just recommend that you give it a re-read once you're through to make the whole thing make sense. There's a good amount of it that will be a little hard to grasp on first read but makes perfect sense if you already have all the context.

#12 Edited by Battle_Forum_Junkie (7568 posts) - - Show Bio