Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude
No Caption Provided

The new Ms. marvel is named Kamala Khan. A teenage Shape-Shifting Muslim/Pakastani teenager who lives in New Jersey with her Pakistani family. Facing struggles not only from the outside world of Super-Villain fighting, but from home as well as she deals with her extremely conservative brother, her mom who is paranoid about her daughter getting pregnant if she touches a boy, and her father who wants her to concentrate on her studies and become a doctor.

No Caption Provided

I'm actually excited for this. I mean if anyone deserves to be the permanent Captain Marvel at Marvel it's Carol Danvers, no question and there should be a Ms. Marvel in the universe as Carol has left a big enough impression under that name. So I'm glad Marvel is trying to branch out a little more. And that's why I really love Marvel, they're doing stuff DC CAN'T do anymore. Legacy characters, the passing of the old onto the new.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

"Legacy characters, the passing of the old onto the new."

This was one of my favorite things about DC :\

I'm excited for this new series though. Very intrigued by it and the fact she takes the Ms Marvel name. Not sure if I'll be picking this series up due to funds but I'll try to if I like the upcoming news on it.

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'll try it out for t least 3 issues or so and see how it goes

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By danhimself

I don't know...shapeshifting and the Ms. Marvel name don't seem like a good combination to me....I would have rather they just gave her the generic powers of flight, invulnerability, super strength, and maybe some energy blasts....that sounds like Ms. Marvel powers to me

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5  Edited By InnerVenom123

Sounds cool.

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arturocalakayvee: Apparently she's going to be a big Ms. Marvel fan, and since Carol is Captain Marvel now, she takes the name. Kinda like pre-New 52 Barry Allen taking the name Flash because he was a fan of Jay Garrick.

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@danhimself: I think it's kinda ironic, since Mystique was Carol's archenemy for a long time.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By evilvegeta74

No Caption Provided

The new Ms. marvel is named Kamala Khan. A teenage Shape-Shifting Muslim/Pakastani teenager who lives in New Jersey with her Pakistani family. Facing struggles not only from the outside world of Super-Villain fighting, but from home as well as she deals with her extremely conservative brother, her mom who is paranoid about her daughter getting pregnant if she touches a boy, and her father who wants her to concentrate on her studies and become a doctor.

No Caption Provided

I'm actually excited for this. I mean if anyone deserves to be the permanent Captain Marvel at Marvel it's Carol Danvers, no question. So I'm glad Marvel is trying to branch out a little more. And that's why I really love Marvel, they're doing stuff DC CAN'T do anymore. Legacy characters, the passing of the old onto the new.

I'm cool with the kid! Mar-vell needs to come back for real and take up his mantle as the one true Captain-Marvel of the MCU, which everyone knows! Carol Danvers should go back to her moniker since people still refer to her as Ms. Marvel anyway. I mean people are referencing her on the Vine as Captain Marvel/ Carol Danvers or Captain Marvel/Ms. Marvel aka Captain Marvel. Give the kid a new name and let her start fresh!

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know...shapeshifting and the Ms. Marvel name don't seem like a good combination to me....I would have rather they just gave her the generic powers of flight, invulnerability, super strength, and maybe some energy blasts....that sounds like Ms. Marvel powers to me

In today's world; flight, invulnerability, and super strength are as common as a house fly. She'll probably have all that. so no worries! Lol

@arturocalakayvee: Apparently she's going to be a big Ms. Marvel fan, and since Carol is Captain Marvel now, she takes the name. Kinda like pre-New 52 Barry Allen taking the name Flash because he was a fan of Jay Garrick.

Mehh, I hate to be a negative nancie but with that kind of origin, I see her title lasting a little while before she joins the Young Avengers.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So it's a series based on a shape shifting girl. Not much of hook, don't see the book lasting that long.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@danhimself said:

In today's world; flight, invulnerability, and super strength are as common as a house fly. She'll probably have all that. so no worries! Lol

I really just don't like that big cartoony looking fist in the one pic...it looks ridiculous

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By HumanRocket

Ill give it a chance.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kidchipotle

@danhimself: I don't think its meant to be a serious picture, at least I hope not because that's how I perceived it. I wonder why she's a shape shifter though…possible secret skrull turned good or unknowingly is one?

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arturocalakayvee: I always liked shape-shifters because of the hilarity that can come from it. Also it means more contrast between her and Carol. If they wanted just another near carbon copy power-wise they'd have gone with Ultragirl

No Caption Provided

Who might I add Carol gave her old costume to at one point

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

This kind of feels like a forced diversity thing...

That being said, this sounds kind of interesting.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

On face value, just the title, I thought Carol was being replaced and I was about to be very mad. But as long as she's continuing on as Captain Marvel, I'm golden. This character sounds kind of interesting actually, and of course: New Jersey represent!!!

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@granitesoldier: Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if she became like Carol's sidekick or something.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Again?

Marvel would do best to restore Carol Danvers to her Ms. Marvel status and then leave the name alone.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm interested in how she got this shape-shifting power. Is she a mutant, an inhuman, or the result of some disaster?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Crap like this yet Iron Fist cant get another book. Why do i even care anymore?

Avatar image for spidermanandsuperman
spidermanandsuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't believe this was the number 2 thing trending on yahoo.

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@powerherc: Now I honestly can't go along with that since it would lead to yet another character getting the title and then becoming something else later. Carol as Captain Marvel actually works! I mean, Marvel has been trying again and again to get a character to stick with the Captain Marvel name. It got to the point I was wondering why they don't just bring back Mar-Vell permanently, but in an age where nearly every superhero has been brought back from the dead it is refreshing to see one character stay dead and let his mantle continue on.

Also I'm a sucker for legacy characters

Avatar image for Oreoassassin421
OreoAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By OreoAssassin

Great. Cancel good books like Venom or Scarlet Spider for a shape shifting teen-_-

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Again?

Marvel would do best to restore Carol Danvers to her Ms. Marvel status and then leave the name alone.

This.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amaranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ugg.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose
@squares said:

What is "forced diversity"?

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@v_scarlotte_rose: When someone tries to be more diverse in terms of things like race or sexual orientation, when it is not required. For instance rebooting a universe and making a previously heterosexual character into a homosexual. That's forced diversity. Or making a character that's African, Asian, or Hispanic, or homosexual, etc, to appear in a team for the soul reason of having an African, Asian, or Hispanic, or homosexual, etc, on the team without much if any thought on the character as a whole.

In this case I don't feel it's forced diversity as there's very few Middle Eastern superheroes in general.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

Great. Cancel good books like Venom or Scarlet Spider for a shape shifting teen-_-

I can agree with this sentiment, however.

GodTriggerHulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31  Edited By GodTriggerHulk

@v_scarlotte_rose:

When a publisher or author creates a character who's defining characteristics are based on their demographic. These characters (especially in comics) serve to generate buzz in the mainstream and are often portrayed as causing controversy.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smart_dork_dude: I see. Well in this case I don't think I'd call it forced diversity either then.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@godtriggerhulk: Do you consider this character to be that then, based on what we know so far?

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Again?

No Caption Provided

Agreed! There is only one true Captain Marvel in MCU, that's Mar-vell !

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By PowerHerc

@powerherc said:

Again?

No Caption Provided

That's right!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares said:

What is "forced diversity"?

It`s a term for where writers will suddenly switch out characters, generally white males, for characters that are either different in gender or race. This is generally only the case when the change is abrupt and kind of out of nowhere.

...I think.

GodTriggerHulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By GodTriggerHulk

@v_scarlotte_rose:

It would really depend on what Marvel said in their original press release. If they really played up the fact that she's a teenage Muslim girl then I'd have to conclude that she is.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares: Would that really apply here? This is a new character, so no-one has been switched out to make this happen.

If you mean the name, the Ms. Marvel title has been unused for over a year now, and Carol still has her own series, so she's not really been replaced to let Kamala take over.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@godtriggerhulk: I'm not sure what the official press release is, as they don't seem to have mentioned her on their website, twitter or facebook. I've seen news about it on other sites, but they have different information and quotes, etc, so I can't really tell what Marvel themselves are saying.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares:

Would that really apply here? This is a new character, so no-one has been switched out to make this happen.

If you mean the name, the Ms. Marvel title has been unused for over a year now, and Carol still has her own series, so she's not really been replaced to let Kamala take over.

That's a good point, and it's why I'm not really sure about it.

GodTriggerHulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#

@v_scarlotte_rose:

Honestly as long as an established character isn't wrecked (Alan Scott) I can deal. The larger problem is (and this is a personal hang up) is that I can't bring myself to buy female-centric comics.

Before you grab your pitchforks let me explain. See I'm still in high school and my mom is the one who pays for my comics, my mother is the greatest woman in the world but this situation has some drawbacks.

Whenever I buy a comic with a lady on the cover my mom just has to comment on it. Example:

GodTriggerHulk goes up to the counter with his comics and the clerk starts to ring them up. Eventually we get to an issue with Wonder Woman on the cover.

My Mom: "Oh GodTriggerHulk I didn't know you liked black-haired girls!"

This is bad enough on its face but worse is the car ride that follows.

My Mom: "GodTriggerHulk you know Mrs. [Blank]'s daughter?

Me: "Yeah?"

My Mom: "She was talking about you the other day and she has black hair just like Wonder Woman. I think you should ask her out!"

The reason female-led titles don't sell isn't because of intransigent readers but because of meddling mothers.

THIS HAS BEEN A 1ST WORLD PROBLEM

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By cameron83

DAMMIT My entire speech didn't go through. fml

Let me just summarize:

• This book could be good,so let's not brush it aside before we even see page 1
  • Scarlet Spider and Venom's failure in sales has nothing really to do with this book,blame the fans that didn't want to support it...at the same time,if people just weren't interested in buying it,that's their choice,they do not have to get a book simply because you like it....and no,I am not talking directly to anyone in particular.
  • When Venom started,I remember seeing so much hate because people didn't want to see Flash Thompson as Venom and they called him a 1 dimensional character and made long rants as to why he shouldn't be Venom and etc etc.....don't brush this aside automatically,see how it is. Buy it (WITHOUT bias) if you want to,to see how it is.
  • Remember when comic fans actually read things to form an opinion on it?

@oreoassassin said:

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#46 SC  Moderator

I'm excited and intrigued by this announcement. Sure I am cynical by the emphasis on the character being a female, being muslim and being Pakastani, and a new character getting TLC when there are so many other characters I wish got that TLC, but this gets broader media attention, this gets attention from fans, this gets hype and it usually translates to readers and money. There are large differences between how books are sold and how stories are written, I'll wait to see how the story is to judge the story and if Marvel wants to use every dirty trick in the business to get this book to succeed I'm all good.

Another thing, Marvel doesn't sell books to make way for others. So we should be saying great to you know, the fans that don't buy good books that get cancelled, and hey chances are this will probably be cancelled in a year (even if its the best book of next year) and a new book will be announced, and you know a similar argument will happen. Finally unless your talking about the characters of Superman or Namor chances are the comic character in question was introduced when another character existed and could have been used. New comic character eh? Been introduced for the last 80 years, funny that.

I am happy we are also getting more representation character wise from South Asia. Personally I have always liked Carol having Ms Marvel as a name, even though I am enjoying her stories as Captain Marvel, and giving this new character the name Ms Marvel may be polarizing but I hope it gives her a boost in profile and I like the idea of her being a big fan of Carol. I like when we get to see heroes inspire others to heroism.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

This is definitely something interesting from Marvel to bring a Southeastern asian hero to the big leagues but the title doesn't seem that interesting to me.We have had a lot of teenage superheroes who deal with the same problems like her that it got just too annoying,cliched and not interesting anymore.

On another note Carol Denvers should return to the name Ms. Marvel and not some new kid.

Avatar image for ultimatejonathan
UltimateJonathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On face value, just the title, I thought Carol was being replaced and I was about to be very mad. But as long as she's continuing on as Captain Marvel, I'm golden. This character sounds kind of interesting actually, and of course: New Jersey represent!!!

New Jersey represent!!

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

meh.... but then again I dont read marvel

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evilvegeta74 said:

@powerherc said:

Again?

No Caption Provided

Really? He's been dead for 31 years. I love the character, but it's time to move on. His son was a lot more interesting than he was.

I beg to differ sir, Mar-Vell was one of the first super heroes to die from disease that afflicts the live people everyday, which is cancer! This was very profound in the comic industry, and very much unheard of! His death was monumental and a lesson to all, that being that even Super Heroes can succumb to cancer! This was a moment in comic that should be remembered, making the character even more iconic! I suppose that's why many of the heroes in the Mu were at his bedside when he passed. Whether it been 31 years or 1 his death was one of the most important moments in comics. Now what were you saying Genis-Vell did besides get written horribly in comics, only to end up insane. He eventually had his body parts severed ,and scattered across space in time in T-bolts issue 100. In case of Mar-Vell I will never move on from the character I first read about in comics as a kid! He deserves a real resurrection since other characters keep coming back from the dead! I'm just saying!