#1 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2685 posts) - - Show Bio

The basic idea is that you are the world's first superhero. At the start of the game you choose what kind of hero you are, human or alien, and what your backstory would be and the costume. The game would start with you in the 1930's and by the end of the game you'd be in the present. A human based hero would be like Batman or Green Arrow and be a legacy type hero, passing down the identity from generation to generation, while an alien based hero would simply live to the present day with a little grey hair. This would also give your character a chance to level up, using more advanced technology for a human based hero or gaining more superpowers for an alien based hero. Whatever character you choose their hero name would be "The Protector". You're archenemy would be The Destroyer a mad scientist or alien conqueror, depending on which character class you chose at the start of the game. Over the course of the game your main goal is to defeat The Destroyer. Game play wise it would be a free-roam game in a fictional city, with the city changing over the course of the years. Also, you would be able to choose if you're a hero or an anti-hero. Do you kill your enemies or leave them for the police? Do you cause damage to the city with your heroics or not? The choices you make would cause the city to view you, if citizens love you or fear you, if the police trust you or chase you, and this would still effect you over the decades that the game would span. It would be easier to change public opinion if your a human hero, but if your an alien hero then things would be harder as they would know your the same person.

#2 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20443 posts) - - Show Bio

How will this be kept on track?

#3 Posted by Joygirl (19951 posts) - - Show Bio

Decent idea but you're thinking too small. A single-player sandbox superhero game could be epic, like Skyrim with superpowers? You could have full character customization, piles of quests and villains, gear to find, etc. And constantly make character decisions that stick with and possibly affect you (such as being a hero or antihero).

#4 Posted by The_Thunderer (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

@Smart_Dork_Dude:

#5 Edited by sesquipedalophobe (4765 posts) - - Show Bio
@Joygirl: I like that idea. Powers could have specific skill trees. Different powers, difference in gameplay. Boob windows.
@Bethesda: Make it happen.
#6 Posted by JonSmith (4010 posts) - - Show Bio

@Smart_Dork_Dude: M'kay, now let me point out the flaws in your idea. I'm not doing this to be mean, I merely wish to see how you solve them.

For starters: Choosing between a human legacy hero or an alien hero. Why would ANYONE choose to be a human hero? If we're talking like Batman (while he's awesome), no one would willingly choose his gadgets over Superman's powers. You have to balance it more than with 'well, if you're human, people like you more'. Most gamer's really don't care how the public NPC's view them if it benefits them to be mean.

Secondly: Anti-hero or superhero, humanely solving problems or trashing the city to get the job done is an interesting concept, but how would you follow through on it? To accurately show how you mess up the city in such a way that people care, you'd have to render building damage, etc. That would be near impossible on a large scale. However, anti-hero or superhero is doable: Just program it so an extra button press once the fight is over cause your hero to kill the subdued bad guys.

Third: Cities change over time. If you want to start in 1930's and move up to present day, you'll have to hit all the highlights and important events along the way. Cities change in that time. So even if you lock yourself down to one city, it'll have to completely change a number of times, meaning you'll have to completely rebuild it again and again and again, for each iteration.

Fourth: The name. Admittedly, this is more of a nitpick than a problem but c'mon. The Protector? And you're going to offer the player a way to choose to be an antihero? Let them pick their own name from a series of presets. Or get around it by just having dialogue refer to them as 'that hero' or some similar anonymous persona.

#7 Posted by zbrush (14 posts) - - Show Bio

@Smart_Dork_Dude: Is this like supposed to be a computer game?... do you have any experiance making games?

#8 Posted by Lost_Nomad (152 posts) - - Show Bio

@Joygirl said:

Decent idea but you're thinking too small. A single-player sandbox superhero game could be epic, like Skyrim with superpowers? You could have full character customization, piles of quests and villains, gear to find, etc. And constantly make character decisions that stick with and possibly affect you (such as being a hero or antihero).

This. I always think about this when I play Skyrim. Personally my biggest problem with all super hero games that have come out, especially the one's where you can create your own hero is the lack of choice. DC universe and champions online for example, there just aren't many super powers to choose from and that is a pet peeve of mine.

#9 Posted by Jackson_Hartley (161 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds interesting. You'd have to do some real tweaking though, to make either a normal hero OR a super hero mesh together in the same game. Instead, I'd suggest focusing on one or the other; normal or super and then build from their.

The big thing in any game is options - people love options - but you can't have it all. You need to pick your bases and build from there. That's if you have one or the other. If your bases can include more options you could get away with more; just have it so whichever base is chosen, it doesn't have to overly affect the story/flow of the game too much.

Believe me, I've had hundreds of game ideas that sounded amazing, but were just un-doable once you factor in game mechanics. Still, give me the money, developers and time and I'll try my damnedest, lol.

#10 Posted by samuel_larson_10 (283 posts) - - Show Bio

there should be more than just "human" or "alien" because that is kind of boring, humans can have superpowers and stuff, why not: Mutant ability (like wolverine or cyclops), self made hero (like iron man or batman), alien heritage (like supes or martian manhunter), lab experiment (like spiderman or hank pym) each could choose one to two abilities, then branch off and customize from there, so each time you could play a completely different character. Maybe even throw in weaknesses.

You could do the same with the story, If you say choose choice A you get result C, if you choose choice B you get result D. then you could shape the story in different ways each time, maybe your choices would determine your villian. Naturally these game-changing choices would be few and far between since the game spans across eight decades, logically at the start of every decade you would make a decision (the results wouldn't be clear) and you would play another campaign.

#11 Posted by SoA (5241 posts) - - Show Bio

@Joygirl: u had me at skyrim with superpowers

#12 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (15127 posts) - - Show Bio

@Joygirl said:

actully I would like to see a first person superhero game.

#13 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20443 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarkKnightDetective said:

@Joygirl said:

actully I would like to see a first person superhero game.

Or a First-Person Fighting game.

#14 Posted by jobiwankenobi (1462 posts) - - Show Bio

This sounds to complicated to be any good. You'd have to be limited by choices and they would just make it kind of lame. If it was possible to do this bigger then it would be amazing.