A comic book franchise that will surpass Batman?

Avatar image for redlanternsuperman
RedLanternSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Sporting the second most iconic symbol and hero.

Two above billion dollar block-buster movies, and a bunch others.

Arguably holding the place of the best cartoon series ever made (Batman TAS).

Batman in other successful cartoons such as Justice League, Batman Beyond, Brave and the Bold.

DC's most successful comicbook seller.(Batman, Detective Comics, Dark Knight, DK Returns, Year One, Killing Joke, Death of Batman)

Having the most iconic comic book villain (Joker)

Being a star in DC animated movies more then ANY other hero.

The most successful comic book hero video games (Arkham Asylum, Arkham City)

Having many heroes branch off his success into their own series (Nightwing, Batgirl, Red Hood & the Outlaws,Batwing)

DC's abuse of Batman, when they add him into comics, and teams just because of his popularity. (Justice Society of America)

Holding the title of the most die-hard fanboys, who will argue his side to death.

Will any hero ever surpass him?

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Wolverine008

Honestly, I don't think so. Batman is obviously the world's most popular super hero, and his gimmick is going to appeal to generations to come. He is extremely marketable, an incredibly complex/inspiring/badass character, and has the luck of having so many great comic stories to get readers to fall in love with him. He also has the luck of being an extremely versatile character that can change with the times and remain popular. The guy has become a multi media juggernaut, and I'm not sure if there is any force in real life or comics that can stop him.

ximpossibrux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mitran said:

Superior Spider-man

Except that is pretty much a one-time thing, no movies, cartoons ect... Also Batman outsells it.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Avatar image for digitalshooter9
DigitalShooter9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope.......

I like daredevil a lot, and think he should be way more iconic but comics arent enough to make a superhero that popular. Not even spider man has any videogames or movies that can even compete with the batman franchises, although there might be a time where spiderman or superman might surpass batman(superman is less relatable and all, but the recent movies have increased his potential) it really is hard as batman is more interesting according to a large chunk of comic book readers. My personal thoughts: Superman is and will be more iconic than batman, but he just isnt capable of being half as interesting therefore his popularity is at a level below batmans.... Spiderman on the other hand, really is interesting in my opinion, but his videogames sort of suck... Advise to marvel: Stop making crappy videogames such as deadpool and actually focus on the quality of the game you are creating, A well rounded daredevil game would be at least as interesting as arkham asylum... Most of this are my personal thoughts, but as for right now, there isnt anynsuperhero that is about to surpass batman...

ximpossibrux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 2

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#12  Edited By Joygirl

No. Green Lantern is trying really hard but still no.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

I don't see it happening.

DwightSpitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@mitran said:

@decoyelite: Just because DC is afraid they'll lose their cash cow.

I don't think it's about DC loosing cash at all. It's about the majority craving as much as is coming out. If there wasn't enough comic book readers to sell the numerous ongoings Batman has, they wouldn't do it. The problem is what other character is there that ever could? People have already put it pretty well in this thread already, but Batman will always remain one of the most popular, along with Superman etc.

It would be nice if DC/Marvel/Anybody could establish a brand new character that was appealing enough to create a fan base of its own. But from what I know, little as it may be, there hasn't been anything like that in the last few years...